collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4.5 or G5?  (Read 6732 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: G4.5 or G5?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 07:12:32 PM »
It would be a little awkward if there were a second "reboot"...Would we call it G4.75? :P
If they did another reboot I would call it MLP redonkulous XD

Only if they revamp the line to actual pastel donkeys and mules...and demon donkeys.  :biggrin:

Post Merge: July 22, 2017, 07:14:25 PM

It would be a little awkward if there were a second "reboot"...Would we call it G4.75? :P
If they did another reboot I would call it MLP redonkulous XD

This is some thing to think about. And wouldn't the same argument for calling it "new" also apply to calling it "reboot"?  Every redesign is a "reboot".  Unless in later generations it is always qualified with the G4 moniker, I.e.  The G4 reboot.    But in that case G4.5 is just faster type.  That may be the deciding factor in the end.

Also, some people are saying this isn't G5 because it's the same cast.  But Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Bright, TMNT, etc, all have multiple "generations" but the same cast.   And I suspect that Hasbro is not going to let go of this cast even when G5 does come around.

Don't get me wrong, this is clearly not G5 if only because FIM has become such a driving force behind this generation that I can't see labeling anything as g5 until FIM is over.

So I guess my criteria for labeling something G5 would be a whole line redesign that happens after FiM is over.

Edited to add additional thoughts****

I also think there is a difference between this redesign and the Sweetheart Sisters (Dream Beauties were a whole nother line).   A:  SHS were marketed as teenage ponies not redesigned adult ponies.  B: Hasbro conveniently gave them their own label we could call them by and C: non of the SHS were rereleases of old characters.  If I want a specific SHS, I can just refer to her by name.

With this current redesign, if I come on the board and say I'm looking to purchase a specific Fluttershy then I have to go through a whole list of descriptors to make sure I get the one I want.

I don't know what the solution is.  Maybe just use pose names?  But then we all have to agree on pose names.

Would that make the slimmer ponies of RaMC teenage ponies? :silly: :wonder:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:15:26 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 08:23:20 PM »
Well someone pointed out that G1 had some drastic design changes in the SHS and Dream Beauties and they didn't get called G1.5. I agree with them, so  that's why I personally don't call them that.

I was going to point this out too. And let's not forget the introduction of the Pony Bride mold. So even back then the move was toward slimmer designs. Gee, just like they're doing today!
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 07:06:08 AM »
But the Pony Bride, SHS, etc were in addition to the regular G1 molds - not in replacement of them. G3.5 replaced G3, so it got a different designation. If they suddenly go back to using the old G4 molds then I agree that these reboot ponies probably don't need a different name. But right now, it really doesn't look like that'll be the case :s
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »
But the Pony Bride, SHS, etc were in addition to the regular G1 molds - not in replacement of them. G3.5 replaced G3, so it got a different designation. If they suddenly go back to using the old G4 molds then I agree that these reboot ponies probably don't need a different name. But right now, it really doesn't look like that'll be the case :s
I agree. I believe for it to be another generation (or a half generation) the new toys have to replace the old - which is what the reboot toys are probably doing.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 12:47:28 PM »
G4 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The only real reason they would be called something else is because they're replacing the old molds. But unlike G3.5, it's not a different design at all, just different molds. Nothing else is notably different.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 12:53:43 PM »
I think it might be better to firmly label the new style after the line ends, if that makes sense...

I personally think a new generation overall requires a new setting/style/concept completely. This TV series has not changed between the old and new moulds, they have just updated those moulds, so it is not G5. I am not bothered by G4.5 as a suggestion, it makes sense to me but it bothers some people. There isn't a case for G1.5 for me because G1 came before the G label happened, and we didn't need those labels until G3 came out, so there never has been any division. And as others have said, new styles went alongside old ones.

If Hasbro go back to old moulds then these new style ones are just new poses within the same generation. If everything from now till the end of the line is in this style, then when it ends there's a case for G4.5. Right now we just don't know.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
I agree it's hard to label these for sure until after the line ends. We're not sure if these molds are replacing the other ones or if they are for the movie releases. Definitely not G5 in my opinion since it's the same characters and pony universe. G4.5 is convenient to me to have something to call them to make identification easier. I also consider a .5 to be the same generation but new molds so that fits nicely in my head. I know the change isn't drastic but it's still a change so I see why many want a designation for it.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 07:45:40 PM »
I think it might be better to firmly label the new style after the line ends, if that makes sense...

I personally think a new generation overall requires a new setting/style/concept completely. This TV series has not changed between the old and new moulds, they have just updated those moulds, so it is not G5. I am not bothered by G4.5 as a suggestion, it makes sense to me but it bothers some people. There isn't a case for G1.5 for me because G1 came before the G label happened, and we didn't need those labels until G3 came out, so there never has been any division. And as others have said, new styles went alongside old ones.

If Hasbro go back to old moulds then these new style ones are just new poses within the same generation. If everything from now till the end of the line is in this style, then when it ends there's a case for G4.5. Right now we just don't know.

I've been thinking about this, too. I wasn't around at the time but from what I've seen, there was this exact same debate with G3.5 - is it G3.5 or G4 or what. And then G4 came along and that was it, the debate was over, G3.5 was G3.5 and G4 was G4. If that makes sense. I'm betting it'll be much the same this time round, too.. sure looks that way so far ^^;.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 09:54:57 PM »
G4 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The only real reason they would be called something else is because they're replacing the old molds. But unlike G3.5, it's not a different design at all, just different molds. Nothing else is notably different.

This is how I feel too.  The designs are essentially the same.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 08:58:28 PM »
Personally, I will label them properly after the line ends, but for now they're 'the new moulds' to me. I don't collect them, so I'm kind of really hoping they become G4.5, so I can say I don't collect '.5' gens, as I don't collect G3.5 either, and that would be nice and tidy!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 09:26:22 PM »
While 'new mould' is a bit of a mouthful I do call them that, as well as 'reboots' and 'G4.5', I'm not fussy.

I don't think of them as G5, and I think until G5 happens we won't actually have an official term for them. At this point it's unlikely Hasbro will go back to the old moulds, so they're not strictly 'Movie Moulds', but who knows... Hasbro might reboot the series after the movie into something with a vastly different style but same or spinoff characters, something more recognisably G4.5 but still not G5. I don't see FiM ending anytime soon to make way for a fresh and unique generation.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 09:28:38 PM »
The .5 concept was established with the G3.5 line, and I think the same circumstances are here.  We've got the same characters, but a new design that seems to be replacing the old toys.  G3.5 had the same characters and a new design replacing the old.  In the box, and even in some photos, the "G4.5" ponies don't look *all* that different, but they really are.  There is a very significant design shift here. I was surprised how big a shift when I finally opened one.  Maybe it's not as drastic as the G3 to G3.5 design shift, but I feel it's enough to call it a half generation.

While I do agree that a finalized "official" designation should happen after the line is complete, G3.5 was called that pretty much as soon as the ponies were originally revealed.  I think G4.5 is a good placeholder until the line is complete, and it can either be revised or confirmed when the full scope of the line is known.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 03:16:05 AM »
Only if they revamp the line to actual pastel donkeys and mules...and demon donkeys.  :biggrin:
I'd get behind My Little Donkey.  100%.

I believe we're all dancing around the obvious:  these are the "bubble-head" molds.  Well they are.

I think it's pretty clear these are intended to be the style of the movie, and the packaging of many of them says "my little pony movie".  I think the movie style is going to replace the old molds entirely and I am a little afraid as to whether the next season of FiM will still be in Flash or might even be in Toon Boom in the movie style.  I plan to enjoy the movie with its crazy overactive new style but i want my show as it has been.  The toys are probably not going backwards though, and judging from 1) the long distribution of the old molds and 2) the amount of movie hype, I think the "movie" style molds are going to be here for a while after the movie.

While there are still plenty of the old molds around in my stores, they've been the same Applejack/Rainbow Dash/Fluttershy/Pinky almost exclusively in the bins for so many months that I think they are just pushing old stock until it's gone and the pearly 2-packs are down to like 2 pairs and are on markdown.  Those of you who like the old molds for customs etc, stock up now, we might not see these anymore.  As much as I lamented the "show inaccuracy" of the old molds at first, I was just getting used to them and I regret complaining about them now.  They were boring, but they weren't, well, like these movie molds.  At first glance i thought they were like Guardians of Harmony molds, which I find to be very nice, but they aren't and aside from one or two of them, most haven't grown on me.

Absolutely not G5.  That's a new show that will form in the aftermath of the fall of society as we know it when FiM is over.  I wonder if we will remember how to mold plastic in the New World, or if ponies will be wooden in G5, carved with stone knives.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 06:24:09 AM »
I've been calling them G4 Reboot because I remember the G3.5 line wasn't just a change in molds or packaing, it was an entire re-branding of the characters, a completely new art style, new cartoons and the bodies were drastically altered. Like they were solid with HUGE heads nothing at all like the current ponies. All the new toys were based on new illustrations and cartoons but had similar characters.

The change in G4 isn't as drastic b/c the toys are actually meant to look more like the original characters, not something completely new.  Also, with the exception of the movie shading and style, the original cartoon is not changing and the art style on the boxes isn't that drastic.

We can all agree it's not G5 ... at all. But G4.5 vs G4 Reboot remains to be seen. I think and believes it's G4 Reboot but i wouldn't be upset if G4.5 was adapted.

Maybe we need a different name for them besides G4 Reboot that everyone likes? (I think G4.5 is too extreme).
~Foxtale~

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 06:57:45 AM »
I've been calling them G4 Reboot because I remember the G3.5 line wasn't just a change in molds or packaing, it was an entire re-branding of the characters, a completely new art style, new cartoons and the bodies were drastically altered. Like they were solid with HUGE heads nothing at all like the current ponies. All the new toys were based on new illustrations and cartoons but had similar characters.

The change in G4 isn't as drastic b/c the toys are actually meant to look more like the original characters, not something completely new.  Also, with the exception of the movie shading and style, the original cartoon is not changing and the art style on the boxes isn't that drastic.

We can all agree it's not G5 ... at all. But G4.5 vs G4 Reboot remains to be seen. I think and believes it's G4 Reboot but i wouldn't be upset if G4.5 was adapted.

Maybe we need a different name for them besides G4 Reboot that everyone likes? (I think G4.5 is too extreme).

How about G4.2. :P.   I'm only partially kidding.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal