collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Revelations  (Read 506 times)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Pony Revelations
« on: July 20, 2017, 01:56:03 PM »
Serious moment of shock here  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Well... not really, but I did just have a 'so that's how' moment, lol!!!  I'm just wasting some time on youtube, and found a series of My Little Pony commercials from the 80's (needless to say I am LOVING watching them... prototype central and now I want more ponies than ever.... especially that NBBE Baby Sundance... but I digress....)

Anyway... there was one for the perfume puff palace... and there was nail polish.. and this kid was PAINTING toes on their pony's hooves...
(I won't even go into how bizarre THAT is. Ponies are single toed ungulates, after all,  :lol:)   BUT omg... the countless ponies I see on ebay with creepy weird red toes now have an explanation!!!   :freak: 

So there's my aha moment for the day  ;)  Feel free to share your pony aha moments, please!!!!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Pony Revelations
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 02:07:10 PM »
Yep that's a good one, there way eyeshadow in the Crimp and Curl set that you sometimes see as well. I had an aha! Moment when I found out that plastic saddles and clothes stain ponies and also how easily those brushes seem to damage pony hair.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »
Mine is rather lame but I had a revelation when I first found an MLP collectors guide and realized just how many ponies there were.
I had a couple of G1s and us kids traded them back and forth so I needed a reference guide to sort them for ebay and I was catapulted into collectordom and ended up buying wayyy more new ponies than selling off old ones.
Some of you got my childhood toys ;)

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:18:17 PM »
also how easily those brushes seem to damage pony hair.

Oh my... the backcombing I saw in one of the commercials - nooooooooo!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Merge: July 20, 2017, 02:20:49 PM

I was catapulted into collectordom and ended up buying wayyy more new ponies than selling off old ones.

Lol - you joined the dark side!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:20:49 PM by Marlin »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 02:25:21 PM »

So there's my aha moment for the day  ;)  Feel free to share your pony aha moments, please!!!!

Always creeped me out, the elephant footpaint. I painted my pony hooves as hooves. Some of them still have traces. But never creepy elephant toes.

Its a small picture, but it's on the box too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That one has Uk text but I am sure it's the same as the US box because the pony who thinks she's an elephant is a (strangely misposed) Squeezer and she was only sold here on import. Thankfully the UK comic advert didn't show them with such horrible hoof manglings. Nail polish came with the Brush & Grow Princesses here as well, but I have never seen a carboot sale pony with elephant paint feet.

Years back people kept believing that Baby Sundance existed as an actual release. I think that the general consensus now is that the prototype probably met a sad fate. :(

I have a few of these.

I wanted pegasus Songster. She was always a pegasus in the comics. I was so sad the real one didn't have wings. I don't think I ever totally got over it, because she was my favourite and one of those I really liked that I actually got...just not with wings :/ So my ahah moment (ie my >< :'( moment) was when I was about eight and first realised that nope, she has no wings :'(

When carboot buying in the early years I had no access to the internet. We're talking '95 onwards. I didn't know any ponies not sold in the UK back then. And we found several. Until I saw HK Surprise I thought Surprise had blue eyes because the only one I ever found was Italian. It was only later I realised blue eyes were an Italian thing.

Baby Heart Throb. UK one has the same symbol as the US one, but in comics she was always drawn with winged hearts, like the one more common on the continent. So when we first found her, we weren't sure who she was. It took a while to figure it out. Also, Dainty Dahlia. We were sure her hair had got damaged somehow ;)

When online...my ah-hah moments came often with things like looking at the lovely pose-centric US illustration and going, hang on, our Confetti isn't in the walking pose...hang on, those sea ponies are looking up...hang on, these are different versions?! This was a time before there were many actual pony photos online so I had so much fun trying to convince my trade partner what I was talking about.

And then there was the fact the So Soft term was used in the UK for plushies. So I thought they were all plushes. Then we found a rogue Hippety Hop at a carboot sale here, and I was like, what the heck has happened to her! Took about three days and some squinting through her fur to realise how much she resembled the Hippety Hop mentioned on DV, and it dawned on me what So Soft meant in American terms. (At which point I wanted them all :D So cool :D)

The only pony hair brush/combs I ever use are the long handled ones that came with the B&G or Romance type ponies. The others are frizz magnets. Sindy brushes work better.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 09:02:53 PM »
Lol - they are great stories, Taffeta :)

And omg you are so right - elephant toes!!! They totally are, aren't they!! :D Cool to see that box too - poor Daisy Sweet!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal