collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is there a COMPLETE pony guide?!?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline NsMLPonies

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • NsDollyCouture
Is there a COMPLETE pony guide?!?
« on: July 20, 2017, 07:18:53 AM »
Good morning!

I was just wondering, is there a complete guide of every pony ever made? Even prototypes? I know that Mlp arena has a section for foreign ponies, but what about a guide for every pony?

COMMISSIONS PERMANENTLY CLOSED

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a COMPLETE pony guide?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 07:55:55 AM »
Well there are a few actual printed books written by MLP Arena members....

the MLP Wiki probably has the most information though, right now.  A number of collecting websites went dead this year and haven't come back up, so we don't have as many ID and checklist sites right now.

And we are always discovering new ponies!  :)  Often Nirvana, but isn't that amazing, we still don't know ALL the ponies ever made! 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:57:52 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline MidnightRarity

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • G4 Collector!
    • View Profile
    • Midnight Rarity YT
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 08:08:52 AM »
I know strawberryreef.com has one, but stopped updating in 2014.

MLPMERCH.com has one, but for more recent releases.

I hope I helped! :)
Hello! :D

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 08:31:38 AM »
Ponies are still coming out, so there's no such thing as a complete pony guide. It's basically impossible.

The Wiki probably has the greatest number of ponies on it, but it isn't complete.

Strawberry Reef is out of date and the errors it has aren't fixed because of that. Wiki does fix errors if you ask, so that's a better bet.

But it isn't complete. And it isn't foolproof. No site is.

You are probably better off cross-referencing several sites. It's only by doing that that you find the mistakes.

I am not a fan of printed books on MLP. Not because they are no good, but because their information is out of date the moment they are printed. A lot of information from the printed books, if not all, is also available on the web somewhere for free. The printed books with lists and stuff come into their own at conventions when you want to be able to easily check stuff off when buying them, but they're not practical solutions for 'complete' answers.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 08:38:18 AM »
I don't think there's one site that's got everything, but between My Little Wiki, Strawberry Reef, and MLP Merch (mainly the wiki and MLP Merch) I would imagine that's most things right there.

MLW has the most things I think but there's many more recent things it lacks information on. As others have said, Strawberry Reef has a lot but is even less up to date than the wiki, since it hasn't updated since 2015. MLP Merch is very, very extensive on generation 4 ponies, I've seen a ton of stuff on there I had no idea existed, primarily stuff made by 3rd party companies.

Beyond actual ponies, there's a lot of random MLP merchandise (books, clothes, etc) that aren't on any of these sites, as their main focus is mostly on pony figures themselves. I'm not sure if there's an extensive site for other types of merchandise out there, I haven't really checked.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:40:30 AM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 08:44:20 AM »
I agree with everybody else. Ponies are still being made and new ones released. Unless one could see into the future and see what ponies will come, it's impossible to have a complete guide. Between the wiki, strawberry reef and mlp merch, you should have a pretty complete guide to pony.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 08:51:00 AM »
I don't think there's one site that's got everything, but between My Little Wiki, Strawberry Reef, and MLP Merch (mainly the wiki and MLP Merch) I would imagine that's most things right there.

*cough*
*points at sig*
UK pony history here :P
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 08:53:24 AM »
We (MLPMerch) are slowly starting to add the other generations as well. We just finished making a website with ALL the Hasbro LPS (over 4700) and that took quite some time. But we're starting with the older gens now. :P

Offline NsMLPonies

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • NsDollyCouture
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 09:06:40 AM »
Thanks everyone! I guess I should have worded that differently. I meant to say is there a complete guide for G1, G2, G3 and G3.5 ponies.
COMMISSIONS PERMANENTLY CLOSED

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:26:51 AM »
Thanks everyone! I guess I should have worded that differently. I meant to say is there a complete guide for G1, G2, G3 and G3.5 ponies.

Depends on what you consider "complete". All the US G1s? All the US+UK G1s? Are we including Nirvanas in this? Squeakybutts, Colombians, Argies..? How about the UK oddball princesses? What about the off-shoots like Dream Beauties and Petites? Or merch like the porcelains, Stickles, etc? Do prototypes and OOAKs count?

"Complete pony list" is a loaded question for G1 because it would be... very very hard, if not outright impossible, to make one. We're always finding new G1s, even now! It's easier with G3 and particularly G4 since people have documented all the releases of those the moment they came out, and of course there aren't Nirvanas and such. (Though there are the various prototypes and oddities that have come out of Taobao.. do Holly Blue/Trixieshy and Sweetie Blue "count" towards a "complete" list of G4s, for example?) G2's pretty much in the middle.

But I digress.. as other people have said, there isn't 'one' complete list, but there's several good sites and by cross-referencing, you'll generally get the info you need :)

All gens:
My Little Wiki
MLP Land (I particularly love their ID feature)

G1:
My Little Pony Scrapbook
Our very own Nirvana Gallery and well, the Arena in general really XD

G2:
Rainbow Forest
Lavender Lagoon

G3/G3.5:
Strawberry Reef (also has other gens but is particularly good for G3/G3.5; no longer updated, but mostly accurate up to ~2015, AFAIK)

G4:
MLP Merch (*the* best source for G4 info, hands down)

I hope this helps!! :)

We (MLPMerch) are slowly starting to add the other generations as well. We just finished making a website with ALL the Hasbro LPS (over 4700) and that took quite some time. But we're starting with the older gens now. :P

Just to veer off-topic for a second - I keep meaning to PM you and thank you for LPS Merch!! I can't wait to dig through it when I have the time, I've been dying for a site like that for years now!!! Awesome work :)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 10:54:43 AM »
Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: No, because we don't know everything that was made. To this day new Nirvanas are turning up, and new things are being discovered about older gens.  It's probably impossible we'll know for certain that every variant and design has turned up unless someone invents a time machine. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

lostpony

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 11:15:17 AM »
Exciting!  Especially when you factor in all the merchandise.  It's like it's impossible to know everything so there is always something to discover even for the most experienced collectors.

If it were possible to simply know every last thing it'd be kinda closed and finite; instead it goes on forever.

Squeakybutts.  So cool!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 11:46:20 AM »
Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: No, because we don't know everything that was made. To this day new Nirvanas are turning up, and new things are being discovered about older gens.  It's probably impossible we'll know for certain that every variant and design has turned up unless someone invents a time machine. 

I really hope someone does. I don't want to go back in history and buy ponies or change anything. I would be fine with a viewing only time machine. But I want to see what was on shelves where and when and answer a lot of things we still don't know about things...sigh.

Also the sight of all those g1 on shelves I took for granted as a kid. I miss that.

Strawberry Reef is one of the best sites for G3 I think. It also has a great layout for quick reference for colour and such like that. But I would definitely advise cross-referencing information on G1 from there with other sites as it still has some really weird and obvious mistakes. For example, white Tootsie as a UK pony and from the Groom and Style set, and she's neither :/ Because it's not still being updated those errors won't be fixed -so yeah, great for quick ID reference but where detail is concerned, sometimes use with care. If you want to use an all-gen site, Wiki is better.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:52:41 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 12:05:34 PM »
Echoing what everyone has said there is no one complete guide but it would be great one day if there were.

I use my books plus, mlp wiki, strawberry reef, mlp merch to name a few good sites. (I miss MLP Collector and Dream Valley so much!!!) There are also some really good checklists made by collectors! Combining all these gives you a good sense but there is no all answer.

If you have questions or are interested in anything in particular you've come to the right place.

Everyone here has a specialty and we are all quite knowledgeable!
~Foxtale~

lostpony

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 03:52:03 PM »
I don't want to go back in history and buy ponies or change anything. I would be fine with a viewing only time machine.

To wander off topic a little bit, a viewing-only time machine would be really cool!  What a great way to screw up the present without worrying about the "butterfly effect" where if you accidentally step on a pony with a butterfly symbol in the past you could eliminate all ponies in the present etc.

Back on topic, I find strawberryreef to be a great resource for the basics and regret that I never got to explore the recently-deceased Dream Valley and other sites before they vanished.

There's a printed "My Little Pony G1 Collector's Inventory" on Amazon that claims to be complete with accessories and playsets of everything through 97, and there's a G2 and a G3 one as well.  Does anyone here who knows anything have experience with these books to know if they're any good at all?  I'm interested in scooping them up for fun reading and pictures even if they aren't internationally complete.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal