collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What did you think of Disney's Live Action Beauty and the Beast?

I loved it!
10 (50%)
It was okay.
2 (10%)
I have not seen it yet.
3 (15%)
I was disappointed.
5 (25%)
I disliked it.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: July 25, 2017, 08:11:28 AM

Author Topic: 2017 Disney's Beauty and The Beast Live Action  (Read 1849 times)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
2017 Disney's Beauty and The Beast Live Action
« on: July 15, 2017, 08:11:28 AM »
How did you feel about the recent Beauty and The Beast film?  I really liked it and I wasn't expecting too.  My R2 loves Beauty and the Beast.  It is his favorite Disney aside from Star Wars which is only a recent Disney thing anyway.  So, I basically watched it for him but, when it was over I really was happy with it.  I had no feelings one way or the other about the actresses and actors because most of what they have been in I have not seen.  I loved the Beast and the song he sang Evermore.  I loved the characters all except for Garderobe.  For some reason I found her annoying.  I did not get to see this film in the theater and just saw it about two weeks ago on pay per view.  I loved the costuming and set design as well as, the computer graphics of Castle characters.

The only sheer disappointment I have is in the sound track music.  They did a horrible job with it.  The voices are not easy to hear because, the orchestra is too loud. Boo Disney redo it!!!

Share your thoughts?  I didn't know if a thread had been started just wondering for Beauty and the Beast fans how you felt.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Disney's Beauty and The Beast Live Action
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:07:38 AM »
Did not like.  I couldn't even finish.  Stopped watching at the point where Beast let's her go to go save her father.  Changed too much, and I know they want it to stand on its own, but still changed too much.

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 09:22:54 AM »
I liked it much more than I expected to. I expected to think 'meh' but was pretty impressed and I even cried. lol.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:17:53 AM »
Not interested in seeing it. I'll stick with the animated version.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 06:25:26 PM »
I saw it and was disappointed.  There were some things I liked, like LaFou's subplot and a more diverse cast.

But a lot of it just felt forced, "we just did this because it was in the animated film even though it doesn't make sense", or underwhelming.

The Beast in particular lost a lot of his character.  He's supposed to be bitter, angry, and (until you get to know him) terrifying.  The scene in the animated movie where he flips out because Belle almost messed with the magic rose--you could totally understand why it scared Belle enough for her to run away from the castle.  In the live action movie he seems . . . mildly upset?  Reasonably upset?  Not upset enough to realistically motivate Belle to run away?

There were so many scenes where, in the animated one, it had so much emotion that it punched you in the chest, while in the live action one it was like "well, it's a scene I guess."  (For example, the scene where Belle first sees the Beast, the Beast growling "It is forbidden!" when Belle asks why she can't go in the west wing, and the Beast's depressed "Just let them come" attitude when the humans raid the castle.)

I also was disappointed that the Beast wasn't more bestial in design.  Okay, I get that they used a real actor and then CGI'ed the Beast over him in most scenes, but c'mon.  They couldn't have CGI'ed something like this in once or twice?

I sort of felt like I was watching "Beauty and the Cosplayer" or "Beauty and the Furry".

Final thought:  what an absolute disservice to Cogsworth's character.  He's supposed to be kind at heart, but also uptight and almost frentic because of his nerves. In the live action movie he was more like, I dunno, Eeyore.  Just kind of mopey and slow.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 08:35:16 PM »
Thought it was boring.  Everything felt dull and flat compared to the animated version, especially the musical numbers.  During "Belle" at the beginning, the energy was just gone from the whole sequence.  And some things that are charming in the animated version just don't work in live action (the whole thing with him sipping the soup is cute in the animated version, here it made me roll my eyes because it was so forced.) 

I like Emma Watson well enough, but I think she was miscast.  Everyone else seemed to be just trying to imitate their counterparts in the animated movie, which I guess is fine considering they wanted a scene for scene, line for line remake. (Yes I know there were some differences here and there; it wasn't enough.)

But that's me. :/  I watched the animated movie a lot growing up because it was my sister's favorite.  I wasn't even going to bother with this but curiosity got the better of me.  I'm glad I didn't pay to see it in the theater.

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 09:05:22 PM »
There was a topic a few months ago here if you want to read more of people's thoughts on it.  ^.^ http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385333.0.html I can't remember if I posted on the original thread or not... but I really liked the live action movie! Actually got it on dvd about a week ago and I've been watching it again. The animated version was never a big part of my life though so I was less picky than some... but honestly I feel like people look for ANY reason to dis this movie... but some of the points made I can understand. Especially about the Beast being more frightening in the original.

Belle doesn't bother me at all, though... not that she's my favorite character but still I felt that she was fine. The movie changed just enough to be worth watching and honestly there weren't that many changes to begin with and some of them were more true to the original tale.

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 05:13:07 AM »
I try not to view the live actions as a comparison to the original animation.  They are a bit different.  So, when I watched this, I watched it with an open mind.  I was not expecting to like it.  I did notice the character of the Beast was not as frightening as the animation version.  I don't know if that was intentional or not.  It has been a few months for me to have seen the animation version.  Just as I love Alice in Wonderland live action which really isn't much like the animated version at all, it is a huge favorite of mine for sure.  I just take these films as they are a new film.  If there is a Disney film I do not like, you can guarantee I will pick it apart for all the reasons I dislike it.  This was not one of those.
Oh I did not know that there was a thread. Thank you. I am going to look through that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:14:38 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »
I liked the movie, it didn't make me cry like the animated one did.

This was way better than Maleficent, Jungle Book, and Pete's Dragon. Those three ruined the original versions.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 10:19:49 PM »
I haven't seen the Jungle Book one yet.  I'm going to give it a shot because I didn't like the Disney version very much anyway, lol.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 06:38:22 AM »
Not interested in seeing it. I'll stick with the animated version.

-nod- Same here. I mean, I might watch it if it's on TV or something, but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to see it.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 09:11:06 PM »
I liked it a lot.  Still prefer the animated version, but I thought they did well in making a live action version.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Storybelle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »
I probably won't see it. I disliked the 2015 Cinderella and I really hate that they're making everything live action. I'm point blank refusing to give them any money for all of this.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal