collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Target Exclusive FS Magic of Everypony Collection  (Read 12196 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Target Exclusive FS Magic of Everypony Collection
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2017, 01:22:08 PM »
Yeah I wonder will the mane and tail be full of that wax gunk like TRU Shadowbolt Rainbow Dash, in order to hold the hairstyle in place?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2017, 01:37:41 PM »
It seems to me the real reason they put these in big packs like this is to force us to buy more.  Sure $10 dollars per pony is better than $15 per pony... but only if you intend to purchase all 6.  The truth is if they were individual, most people would only buy their 1-3 favorites and leave the rest.  This way they force you to buy the entire set while rationalizing that you are spending less when actually you are spending more if you don't want all the ponies in the set.

No one is being forced to buy these ponies. They are available individual as well (with outfits and accessories)

With the movie coming out there is going to be a higher interest in buying the mane 6. It's been hashed out time and again why the mane 6 remain on the store shelves.

Don't like them, don't buy them! Whatever the reason. Too expensive. Duplicate. Ugly. Too big. Not cost efficient.  It's fine!

But they are on store shelves for a reason...

I'm not saying people can't refuse to buy them.  I'm just saying that it is likely a factor in making these huge sets as opposed  to releasing them singly or in pairs.    And I'm not even just thinking of just this set.  The new TRU set is 12 ponies for $60.  That comes out to $5 a pony so the consumer isn't even getting a discount for buying in bulk.  Sure, there will always be kids who don't yet have the mane6.  Yadayadayada.  I'm not arguing with that.

But how many *more* people are going to buy this set for just 4-6 less common ponies who would have not bought the rest of the ponies if they were all offered singly?  That's money in Hasbro's pocket.  They've "forced" you to buy more ponies than you might have otherwise.  Alternatively, you could say that the consumer is paying extra for rarer ponies.  Effectively, someone who doesn't want the mane6 is paying $10 per pony for the other 6 ponies in the pack.

Side note:  I also feel FS sized ponies for $10 isn't actually a discount so much as the lack of a bunch of accessories.  The reason single FStyles are $15 is because they are sold with $5 worth of accessories.  This is another example of "tricking" you into buying more.  Remember in g1 when pony clothes were sold separately?  Well, somewhere along the way, Hasbro must have figured out it was easier to get people to buy a pony w/ accessories for a higher price than to try to get them to buy just the accessories separately.

Oh, and last thing.  The difference between the Target set and the single FS is the "show accurate" hair.    That's the selling point for the large set.  So yeah, if you don't care about that (which I don't) then you can absolutely get the mane 6 singly.  But if show accuracy is big for you, then yes, you will have to decide whether buying the whole set is worth it to you or find some other way of getting the ponies you want second hand.

Toys R Us pack is different. I'm purely talking about the Mane 6 FS pack from Target. I'm only talking about this pack, and no other pack in pony history.

I'm talking about WHY someone would pick up the pack. Not the many reasons why people won't pick up the pack.

But no once is being forced to buy something. Someone might find value in a $10 per pony, someone might find value with accessories, and some people wait to find things second hand or clearance because they don't find any value in MSRP.

That's right Sunset and LadyMoondancer but, in this case you also do get one rare accessory:  Applejack's hat!  What a bonus.

Funny story! When I bought FS Applejack when she was new (but htf) on shelves... I tried to give away her accessories for free (including the hat). No one wanted it. And I trashed it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:39:15 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »
Well, technically they are making you buy the whole set if you would prefer to have one out of the set :P So it's technically true that you have to buy 5 other ponies if you only like/want to buy 1 pony in this set.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2017, 02:47:33 PM »
Well, technically they are making you buy the whole set if you would prefer to have one out of the set :P So it's technically true that you have to buy 5 other ponies if you only like/want to buy 1 pony in this set.

Yes, thank you! 

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »

Yes, thank you! 

Meh, I'm tired of sets. I would rather just buy one pony at a time and not be forced to have every single pony because they're just releasing the same thing over and over.

But I get it, apparently sets are a thing now, I'd rather go back to a wall of individual ponies where I could at least pick and choose. This obsession with sets at target and toys r us....meh...you end up dropping $100 on a bunch of ponies you've already bought 5 times before.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2017, 02:56:18 PM »

Yes, thank you! 

Ok, I would agree if there was a pony in the set that was not obtainable by any other means... which HAS happened in the past. That's why I stressed I'm only talking about this set.

But all of these will be available as singles. I don't know what else to say.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2017, 03:02:06 PM »
I got two Power Ponies at thrift and they are really different than the lose FSs.  All together in the box you don't really see how different they are.  I don't know about the other big multi-sets but I think the ponies are probably different enough to make each of them in the sets uniquely collectible

These seem to be new molds so yeah.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2017, 03:49:03 PM »
...No one is being forced to buy these ponies...I'm not saying people can't refuse to buy them...
Of course everyone is mandated to buy this set, haha.  These ARE the droids ponies you are looking for....

If I might chop up this quote to take it out completely of context (sorry KarentheUnicorn):
...I would rather just buy one pony at a time
...I'd rather go back to a wall of individual ponies where I could at least pick and choose.
...a bunch of ponies you've already bought 5 times before.
I felt this way about the G1 lots on eBay after I got my first few and I'm so grateful to have the For Sale forum here to pick and choose ponies from, so when I get a big box of ponies from a member here, every one of them is one I wanted.  Except for the surprise extras and those are the best!

I'm just sayin'.  Those who really want just one or two from this set can always sell the rest, or buy the same way.  I remember a long time ago when groups of kids would sometimes get together to buy things in multipacks and divide them up, does that kind of thing happen anymore?  Probably not too common I guess...

I think these sets are a fun option and while I almost always like to buy one at a time, to the point of being unhappy at the extra Twilight Sparkle I had to buy to get Skystar, all six together in movie hair is sounding like a fun indulgence, with the orderly display box that says don't-touch-me, I'm too pretty.  Why not?

When I bought FS Applejack when she was new (but htf) on shelves... I tried to give away her accessories for free (including the hat). No one wanted it. And I trashed it.
Sacrilege!  :sad:
haha.  poor little hat. 
Might end up in a museum 100,000 years from now as evidence that we had civilization because we had pony hats.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2017, 04:34:28 PM »

Yes, thank you! 

Ok, I would agree if there was a pony in the set that was not obtainable by any other means... which HAS happened in the past. That's why I stressed I'm only talking about this set.

duntduntduuuuuuu, by any other means!!! Now I'm picturing an indiana jones scene, trying to obtain one of the Target exclusive we must dodge giant rolling ball down Target isle to get the show accurate hair rainbow dash fashion style in new updated body mold with snobby nose.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2017, 05:49:39 PM »

Yes, thank you! 

I think we've been talking at cross purposes because you replied to my original post in which I was *not* talking about *only* this set but replying to the general comments on " why do they keep releasing big sets."

Also, I get the feeling that my words are being interpreted as being very complaintive when I was more trying to have an intellectual discussion. (Though I admit to finding it irritating having to find something to do with the one millionth Pinkie next time I choose to buy a set.)

Lastly, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the availability of *these* paticular ponies in *this* set... Not "OMG Show Accurate Hair" Fashion Styles, at any rate.  Cause that's the pattern to the Target exclusives.  There is a unifying theme with one large pack of 6 Fashion Style ponies and smaller sets and singles of Playful sized ponies and that paticular theme isn't available in any other way.  That's what makes them exclusive.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2017, 06:42:28 PM »
I think we've been talking at cross purposes because you replied to my original post in which I was *not* talking about *only* this set but replying to the general comments on " why do they keep releasing big sets."

Also, I get the feeling that my words are being interpreted as being very complaintive when I was more trying to have an intellectual discussion. (Though I admit to finding it irritating having to find something to do with the one millionth Pinkie next time I choose to buy a set.)

Lastly, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the availability of *these* paticular ponies in *this* set... Not "OMG Show Accurate Hair" Fashion Styles, at any rate.  Cause that's the pattern to the Target exclusives.  There is a unifying theme with one large pack of 6 Fashion Style ponies and smaller sets and singles of Playful sized ponies and that paticular theme isn't available in any other way.  That's what makes them exclusive.

I'm the only one who mentioned a price of $10 per pony vs $15 single pony, and the post I quoted you on didn't mention any other set-- only this set. So I sort of figured your quote in this post had something to do with mine. And my post only had referred to this set, as that's what the topic is. ... Sorry? Although we did diverge.

Dumb-dumb me didn't realize these had show accurate hair.  However.. :/ I think that hair is pretty meh, and lots of people have styled their ponies in show accurate hair better.

It's Target that pushed for this set. They don't know enough to assume that that buyers are going to just buy a whole set for a single pony with show accurate hair. They are thinking that with the movie coming out, and this new revamped line, that people will like a full set with show accurate hair.

:/ While I don't know anything about the buyer for toys at Target, I do hear enough about Target and their tastes and what is "Target" brand through the grape vine... though people who currently work with and have worked with Target branding.

As for toys r us, it's probably like "We want a pack for christmas season, but need to keep costs down, so let's put recycled ponies in the pack".  THAT I'm guessing because I don't know anything about TRU.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2017, 06:54:25 PM »
Haha "recycled ponies" makes me think of the Rainbow Factory a little bit.

(anyone who doesn't know what I mean, you don't want to know it's awful)

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2017, 08:03:52 AM »
well, I just bought my set.  "this" is my MLP purchase until xmas because I've decided to pass on the fishy stuff.
lol my rationalization eh?

wait wrong thread I bought the TRU one with Big Mac.  sorry.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:05:28 AM by gabumon »

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2017, 05:28:31 PM »
Depending on the quality of the hair in this set and whether I ever find it at a discount...I would consider getting this for that Applejack. I love the fact that she has three rows of plugs for her fringe. But I really hope that the single-packed FS Applejack will also have that fringe as well, so I won't have to buy this huge thing for one pony. I don't want to sound like I'm preoccupied with things being "show accurate"...I just think Applejack looks cute with bangs. My favorite G4 is still her original Fashion style with the bangs, after all :)

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
    • my collection catalog (IG)
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »
As a collector, these don't appeal to me at all. I don't collect G4, though, so my opinion on this one means nothing.

As a parent of pony loving kids? I know we will end up with these in the house. My seven year old daughter is "over" the mane 6 and is collecting G1 and G3 now because new characters are hard to come by in G4 releases. My 3 year old wants 10,000 Twilights and will never turn down the other five so she can have friends. I can see this set under the Christmas tree this year.
You can see my collection on InstaGram @ mylittELLEpony  :lovey:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal