collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What products do you prefer?

Human hair products: shampoo, mask, conditioner...
32 (78%)
It's nylon, not human hair. I use dish washer, fabric softener...
8 (19.5%)
I make my own product. Please, tell us more.
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Caring the pony hair  (Read 1677 times)

Offline CarolSpain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Caring the pony hair
« on: July 08, 2017, 07:20:24 AM »
Hi!
I usually apply conditioner to my ponies hair, but I'm thinking to change to fabric softener.

I would like to know what do yoy think that works better.

Maybe you have a secret formula? For example almond oil + water? (I tried this for my yorkshire dog years ago).
If you have pics of MIB with text in Spanish, please, share with me!

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Caring the pony hair
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 07:37:33 AM »
I've only ever used human hair care products on ponies but I think I've had good results!  After a spa day they usually all end up with soft and shiny hair unless they had really fried hair to begin with.  I like using coconut scented shampoo and conditioner on them because then they all smell really good. 

I've kind of thought about trying fabric softener because that's what I use on my cosplay wigs, but so far I've been pleased with shampoo and conditioner.  Maybe next time a pony with really messed up hair comes my way I'll try fabric softener just for kicks. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 08:50:13 AM »
Both.  Whatever works best. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 10:25:29 AM »
Both. Usually dish soap then human hair products if she has a ton of dirt on her hair. For a normal bath, human hair products. So far it seems to work well.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Radha

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
  • It goes ding when there's stuff!
    • View Profile
    • Tactile Memories
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 07:47:13 AM »
 I use human hair products most of the time, but for stubborn cases or delicate items I've used things like wig wash and conditioner (delicate/special things) or braid spray and a product called Reel Magic for highly frizzy or dry hair. 

I don't try mixing my own things, as I worry about long-term implications for things that haven't been tried before.

Offline MangleCrafter

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • One word: Firefly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 08:02:48 AM »
I usually make my own product. I use a glycerin base and add different oils and softeners and it works really well. It makes the hair really smooth and it slides nicely through the comb because of the oils. Also, it gives the hair a nice scent!

lostpony

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 11:55:18 PM »
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread to find out everyone's secrets.

I've tried a variety of things but mostly stick with basic hair conditioner.  I played with fabric softener for a little while and it's great but I got carried away and made it too concentrated and/or soaked too long and found it can be harmful if abused this way, fading some colors/transferring color to bodies, but it's great when used responsibly.

I plan to investigate products available specifically for care of fake-hair wigs sold in beauty stores but haven't checked them out yet.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 05:20:43 AM »
I too shall be stalking this to see what everyone else does  ^.^

For me it will depend on how dirty the hair is to start with. For really dirty hair I will use either a bar of laundry soap (Sunlight soap in SA) or dishwashing liquid, and I will wash body and hair with that. Then afterwards I will wash the hair again with shampoo, followed up by conditioner. If it wasn't so bad I will go straight to the shampoo step. This has worked well so far for my G1 and G3 ponies.

Offline jupiterlily

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
  • 80’s baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 12:36:33 PM »
I've always used Pantene conditioner on mine and have had good results. Haven't tried other options but I'd be curious to know if there's something better. My pearlized G4s have horrible hair and I wish there was a way to help them.

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I Love Ponies...Always!
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 02:39:31 PM »
I use human hair conditioner(Aussie/Garnier), Dawn dish soap and a blend of water with Gain fabric softener to defrizz my ponies. All have worked really well, especially the fabric softener on really frizzy manes and tails.
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
Brightbow Avvy-SquarePeg :lovey: My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 08:58:04 PM »
I just use the same conditioner I use on my own hair.  Garnier Fructise Sleek and Shine, for those interested.  It also smells really nice.

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 01:30:12 PM »
I always use my own shampoo and conditioner. They have always worked really well.

Yesterday I used this "omegaplex fiber therapy" shampoo/conditioner from Schwarzkopf and I have to say it worked like a miracle. Better than any other shampoo or conditioner i've previously used. I think I found my new pony shampoo.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:32:28 PM by Eldarwen »

Offline CarolSpain

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 02:30:36 PM »
I always use my own shampoo and conditioner. They have always worked really well.

Yesterday I used this "omegaplex fiber therapy" shampoo/conditioner from Schwarzkopf and I have to say it worked like a miracle. Better than any other shampoo or conditioner i've previously used. I think I found my new pony shampoo.

Could you share a picture or link?
If you have pics of MIB with text in Spanish, please, share with me!

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 10:34:45 PM »

I tried to find a good link, but I think its easier with a picture. What I found out from googling is that it should be available in other countries aswell, but it might not be under the name "Gliss". Apparently they use other names too, depending on the country. But its still schwarzkopf! Its basically meant for damaged hair and should "fill" the damaged parts of the hair. All I know is that I was able to fix Pina Colada's hair that I was not able to fix before!  :)

And here's Pina Colada! It might not look like that big of a change, but it is. The first picture is after SO many conditioner and hair straightener treatments, and the hair was still awful. So dry and so frizzy. The lower picture is after just one use of this new shampoo and conditioner.   :D

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 11:16:42 AM »

I tried to find a good link, but I think its easier with a picture. What I found out from googling is that it should be available in other countries aswell, but it might not be under the name "Gliss". Apparently they use other names too, depending on the country. But its still schwarzkopf! Its basically meant for damaged hair and should "fill" the damaged parts of the hair. All I know is that I was able to fix Pina Colada's hair that I was not able to fix before!  :)

And here's Pina Colada! It might not look like that big of a change, but it is. The first picture is after SO many conditioner and hair straightener treatments, and the hair was still awful. So dry and so frizzy. The lower picture is after just one use of this new shampoo and conditioner.   :D

Ooooo! *Dashing out to buy Gliss shampoo*. Mind you I think it will be best to wait until morning and the shops are open. My shampoo purchasing might be more successful then  ;)

The manufacturers are going to wonder at the sudden spike in sales, but I for one will definitely try this, thank you for letting us know! Pina Colada is such a stunning pony, you must be so pleased at the great result

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal