collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Stella or Night Song...  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Stella or Night Song...
« on: July 07, 2017, 10:08:30 AM »
This has twitched at me for a while and it has twitched at me again seeing MIP ponies on ebay last week.

The Starlight Babies and their weird naming crisis. Particularly Stella and Night Song.
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/1990_starlightbabyponies.htm
For anyone not clear which ponies and set I mean.

I am responsible in a large part for the reason why we as a community name them the way we do, because that was how I named them on the Scrapbook years back, and people just kind of followed my lead.

The reason I named them that way around was because the comic always named the orange baby Stella and the white one Night Song. Back then there were never MIP images of those ponies.

These days, when they come up on ebay, they tend to be carded the other way around.

I never had either of them as a kid, so I don't know if what shows up on ebay now are actually error carded ponies that didn't make it to store shelves or whether the comic and Hasbro didn't actually communicate correctly.

This has niggled at me for a while.

I was wondering - what do people think about these two in terms of their names?

It's not like the comic never made mistakes, but when they did, it was usually because Hasbro had made a mistake, and it was quickly corrected (ie Sundae Best names). And it would be superbly confusing if we started calling them by the opposite names after so long. But it still bothers me, just a little bit...who really should be Stella, and who Night Song?

Opinions please.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Stella or Night Song...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 10:12:05 AM »
Is it a case of the white baby always being carded as Stella MOC and the orange baby as Nightsong?  Or have there been examples of it going either way?  Hasbro has been known to miscard ponies . . .

My personal preference is for Stella to be the orange baby, but that is coming from the highly biased position of me neither liking the name Stella nor the orange baby, lol.  Nightsong is a pretty name, and the white pony is pretty.  LOGIC??
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 10:24:34 AM »
I like to be able to evidence claims and right now I can't find evidence of them being carded both ways, only the Stella-white Night Song-orange ways. That doesn't mean they don't exist, and I feel like I have seen them both ways in the past but I can't verify it right now.

It is a bit of an academic question in some ways but it is just one of those little niggly things that I wonder about. Did I make the right call, naming them this way around all those years back or have I basically helped brainwash the pony community to follow the comic's lead? XD

I would really love to hear from anyone who had either of them new as a kid, on English card (from any country, as most all of the ones carded orange-Night Song and Stella-white I have seen have come from Greece)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 12:30:56 PM »
This is very interesting. I got mine second hand and I don't particulary remember seeing them in stores. I have always been calling the orange one Baby Stella and the white one Baby Night Song. I'm positive I found their English names online and very possibly on your website. I otherwise only knew their German names from a booklet I have. I just looked at the MOC pics I have saved on my computer and the English backcards have the orange one as Baby Night Song and the white one as Baby Stella.....I also did a quick search on the Internet and found the same, I didn't see them the other way around.
Now I'm wondering if I have an identity crisis going on with my babies :what:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 12:34:10 PM »
To me the white one is Baby Nightsong and the orange one is Baby Stella. To Baby Nightsong is a prettier name than Stella and seems to fit better with the white baby instead of the orange one. Does the backcard art give any clues to which ones are supposed to have each name?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 01:38:06 PM »
The backcard is not specific. They are photographed and the names run along the bottom but not by the ponies themselves. I don't have the cards for either, I don't think, so I don't have their stories. They have individual ones.

The comic made a feature of Night Song either as pony of the month or something similar which I recall clearly, but I never saw this set in stores even :/

I agree on the better fit but I was brainwashed by the comic so I will always see them this way around.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 01:58:13 PM »
Based on their symbols I would go with Stella (latin for star like her symbol) as the orange one; leaving Nightsong as the white one because she has more than just the stars (there's planets too) that are associated with night.

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »
I've had the exact same niggle for many years of online collecting... but mine is entirely opposite! I bought them both new and baby Stella is white and baby Night Song is orange.

I have a bunch of MOC pics and they're running at 4 each with baby stella white and Baby Night Song orange. I haven't seem any the other way around :P

I've also kept images of cards in other languages:
Baby night Song is called Libellula (Dragonfly) in Italian, Baby Glitzer (Glitter) in German, Nachtliedje (Night Song) or Chansonnette (guessing Little song) in the Dutch edition, Baby Nanas in Spanish... which seems to be Grandma or Pineapple?! I'm not sure Google Translate likes me :P

Baby Stella is Stellina (starlet) in Italian and Baby Sternschnuppe (shooting star) in German.

Um... so in my personal opinion - Stella = White, Night Song = Orange :P Sorry. :D To be fair I do think of both ways round as equally right but I put the names like: Stella / Night Song (White) :P

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 03:04:44 PM »
Tempted at this point to rename them Star Song and Nella.

Thanks Chrissytree ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 03:30:40 PM »
Based on their symbols I would go with Stella (latin for star like her symbol) as the orange one; leaving Nightsong as the white one because she has more than just the stars (there's planets too) that are associated with night.
I was totally thinking this too!

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »
I think they have been carded both ways? But that one way is more common than the other.

I checked with my archive of pictures saved from ebay:
I have six moc pictures of the white baby - all named Stella on the cards.
I have seven moc pictures of the orange baby - six of them named Night Song on the cards, the last one is a really long foreign name, unreadable, possibly starts with a C.

Some id site (Dream Valley I suppose) used to have the white baby as Night Song and the orange one as Stella and so everyone went with that. :| Maybe they were wrong after all.

I think Night Song fits the orange baby better because of her sunset colours.

-

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal