collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any other Furby fans here?  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Cswift

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
Any other Furby fans here?
« on: July 05, 2017, 02:36:41 PM »
I really, really, really badly want to talk Furby stuff but I sort of despise tumblr's UI and I don't have any friends in meatspace I can discuss this stuff with. :cry: Anyone? I'm talking all iterations of Furby -- '93, 2005, 2012, Boom, Connect. I want to hear from you!
"I want to live forever, with no pain whatsoever, owning vast personal property plus a company of nubiles." - Captain Fwiffo, Star Control 2

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Any other Furby fans here?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 02:41:21 PM »
I like Furby. :) I still have my white Furby baby and full size striped Furby but they don't work anymore. I had the Furby backpack and the other day I found my Furby keychain.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Cswift

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 02:47:28 PM »
I like Furby. :) I still have my white Furby baby and full size striped Furby but they don't work anymore.

If you're interested in attempting to get them up and running again, there's actually something you can try! You'll need to put in batteries and use a flashlight and a long, thin, firm instrument (like a small screwdriver.)

Basically, using the flashlight to light your way, you pull the beak down to reveal the opening into the robot's interior and look inside to the left. You should see a white spiral gear. Take your long thin instrument and carefully insert it into the gap so you can start turning that gear left. Provided nothing else is wrong with the Furby, after a while of doing this you'll feel the gear start to buzz, and with just a little more work, the Furby will do its startup dance and come to life! I've fixed a few Furbies this way so I know it works. :)
"I want to live forever, with no pain whatsoever, owning vast personal property plus a company of nubiles." - Captain Fwiffo, Star Control 2

Offline piinkypiie

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 04:08:48 PM »
Wow I didn't know u could do that! I have a hot pink special edition Valentines Day furby from the 90s. To be honest I prefer those from the 90s and early 2000s, because they have actual eyes. The recent ones freak me out because their eyes are digital. I don't know, maybe it's just me.. And that I prefer to have real eyes. Furby never freaked me out but some ppl thought they were creepy even in the 90s.. Might have something to do with the gremlin movie? I remember watching it and was shocked by the similarities between furby and gremlin Haha.
:happy:

Offline Cswift

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 05:52:18 PM »
Wow I didn't know u could do that! I have a hot pink special edition Valentines Day furby from the 90s. To be honest I prefer those from the 90s and early 2000s, because they have actual eyes. The recent ones freak me out because their eyes are digital. I don't know, maybe it's just me.. And that I prefer to have real eyes. Furby never freaked me out but some ppl thought they were creepy even in the 90s.. Might have something to do with the gremlin movie? I remember watching it and was shocked by the similarities between furby and gremlin Haha.

I understand what you mean about the digital eyes. Imo they're not very attractive on the 2012 Furby, but are much improved on the Connect. In either case, if people thought the 93 ones were startling when they woke up at night, they clearly haven't been jolted from sleep by one of the newer ones. Just two beams of terrifying white light, LOL

I also never found Furby creepy, but I sort of understand why people do. There are uncanny things about them, like the fixed stare, odd intonations of the voice, ability to sit still and unmoving for a while only to suddenly act up when you least expect it, the odd sounds they can make when they're low on batteries.............I'm probably just strange because I actually find these traits appealing. :P Add that to people who lie on the internet about their Furbies being possessed and saying all kinds of things, and you've got a creepy urban legend on your hands.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 06:25:07 PM »
I didn't know you could fix the Furbys. :) I was sad when I put batteries in them and they made a terrible humming noise when I tried to wake them up. Mom mom had a Furby baby also but when ours talked together they usually would teach each other to burp.  :lol:  Remember when some people thought that Furbys just repeated/recorded what they heard and they were banned from the Pentagon. My Furby Baby is soild white.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Cswift

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 07:02:06 PM »
I didn't know you could fix the Furbys. :) I was sad when I put batteries in them and they made a terrible humming noise when I tried to wake them up. Mom mom had a Furby baby also but when ours talked together they usually would teach each other to burp.  :lol:  Remember when some people thought that Furbys just repeated/recorded what they heard and they were banned from the Pentagon. My Furby Baby is soild white.

The hum noise is usually either a battery issue or something inside being jammed. Try another set of batteries that you know is new and see if those work, and if not, you can try the trick I described above. Of course, you should also check the inside of the battery compartment for corrosion -- that can mess with things too. :)

I remember that, about the Pentagon! Crazy, right? Furbies with batteries in actually could not be brought onto planes or into hospitals either for a while. The fear was the the infrared signals they send could mess with equipment. This was, of course, false; the signals were far too weak to interfere with anything. It was hard enough to get them to talk to each other, so needless to say the idea of them overpowering professional-grade equipment was pretty silly.

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 07:36:08 PM »
Love furbys! I only have a um.. "boom" one right now, but I want more. My only complaint about them is that they are really loud x_x

My niece is really into them and wants me to get one for her for her birthday but I don't know where to get them new anymore haha!

wishlist

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 08:28:10 PM »
I've got some Furbys! Most were from when I was a kid, both the originals and some 2005 ones (I don't know how many original ones I have but I've got 3 adult and 1 baby for 2005) and then I have one adult and two babies for more recent ones. I also have one Shelby.

Right now they're sitting in a box in my closet though since I only have so much space to display things. I have no batteries in all of my original ones or the newer ones because it's too easy to accidentally wake them up and then they take forever to go to sleep again lol.

I wonder why they didn't include an off switch on the newer ones after they had them on the 2005 ones...

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Cswift

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 09:34:32 PM »
Love furbys! I only have a um.. "boom" one right now, but I want more. My only complaint about them is that they are really loud x_x

My niece is really into them and wants me to get one for her for her birthday but I don't know where to get them new anymore haha!

Nice! I don't have a Boom, but I do have the direct predecessor, which is the 2012 Furby. I feel you on them being loud. I love and appreciate them but I find playing with them slightly stressful, whereas the 1993 Furbies always relax me. Oddly, I don't think it's the actual volume at which they speak, but rather the overly exuberant voice acting, LOL

I checked right now on eBay and there are several listings for Furby Booms in good condition at reasonable prices, even several that have the box included. NIB would be a bit more challenging but I'm sure those will come up too. There's also the very newest model -- the Connect, which came out last Christmas. I'm planning on getting one myself.

I've got some Furbys! Most were from when I was a kid, both the originals and some 2005 ones (I don't know how many original ones I have but I've got 3 adult and 1 baby for 2005) and then I have one adult and two babies for more recent ones. I also have one Shelby.

Right now they're sitting in a box in my closet though since I only have so much space to display things. I have no batteries in all of my original ones or the newer ones because it's too easy to accidentally wake them up and then they take forever to go to sleep again lol.

I wonder why they didn't include an off switch on the newer ones after they had them on the 2005 ones...

Ooh, a Shelby? Nice! Those are pretty rare nowadays. They and 2005s often cost a pretty penny on eBay.

The original idea with Furbies was that they were lifelike -- you wouldn't be able to turn them off whenever you wanted the same way you wouldn't be able to turn off a dog once you were done playing with it. With the Connect, they seem to have compromised by giving it a sleep mask that will put the Furby to sleep when put on -- a "lifelike" way to shut it off, so to speak. If your 1998 Furbies are newer than the original six colors, though, there's actually something called deep sleep mode! I personally never use it but it's described at the bottom of the page here: http://www.mimitchi.com/html/fman3.htm Basically, it means that the Furby will not wake up unless it's turned completely upside-down. :)

Kudos for storing them without batteries, though. Corrosion is no fun.

Offline KasaraWolf

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 09:49:04 PM »
I have a TON of Furby's! :D (Over 300+ to be exact) :)

Offline Cswift

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 09:59:25 PM »
I have a TON of Furby's! :D (Over 300+ to be exact) :)

300+?! Wow! How do you store them...?

If you don't mind me asking, what does your collection mostly consist of? :)

Offline KasaraWolf

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 10:07:38 PM »
I used to have shelving for them in my room, but then my interests expanded so the majority of them are stored in tote buckets now :lol: Most of the ones I own are the 98' generation, however, I think my 2012+ Furbies are starting to take over (Less 98's at the thrift stores, more of the newer ones) I only collect the actual Furbies, none of the plushies and all the jazz haha~

This is when I had around 246 of them I think around 2014 or so-

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 11:49:14 PM »

Nice! I don't have a Boom, but I do have the direct predecessor, which is the 2012 Furby. I feel you on them being loud. I love and appreciate them but I find playing with them slightly stressful, whereas the 1993 Furbies always relax me. Oddly, I don't think it's the actual volume at which they speak, but rather the overly exuberant voice acting, LOL

I checked right now on eBay and there are several listings for Furby Booms in good condition at reasonable prices, even several that have the box included. NIB would be a bit more challenging but I'm sure those will come up too. There's also the very newest model -- the Connect, which came out last Christmas. I'm planning on getting one myself.

i was looking to get them in person, so i can pay with cash  :lookround:
i havent seen any at target or walmart, i wonder if its like hatchimals and they dissapear immediately, or if they just arent available right now. im gonna check up on fb/craigslist next :' )

i put batteries in my Boom and was really excited to hear him talk but like, i live in a dorm and it was SO loud i got freaked out and took the batteries out because i didnt want my neighbors thinking i was weirder than i already was!  :blush:

wishlist

Offline Vintageg2

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Love G2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 01:32:27 AM »
I still have my furbies from childhood! And they still work :)
But they are like baby furbies? Smaller than the others anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal