collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fleas. FLEAS! AUUUUGH!  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Fleas. FLEAS! AUUUUGH!
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:35:49 AM »
Okay, so that being said, how do people handle the laundry situation? I have five cats in the house, the Advantage II 6-pack is supposed to arrive tomorrow, along with a 3-pack of Advantage II flea foggers. I have fleas on all three levels of the house - they're in the laundry room, despite the cats not being allowed downstairs. Plus, the cats like sleeping in the laundry baskets. And on the towel shelf. And on our beds. And they haven't been in mom's room much, but mom had fleas jumping at her when she pulled the covers back last night. ^^;

I want to make sure the foggers are the most effective, so how should I do this? Wash the essentials only, and worry that the fleas in the rest of the laundry might not be tagged? Wash the laundry and put it outside in a tent (which I would have to buy or borrow, as we don't have one)?

I'm going to buy a flea collar and cut it up to put into the canister vac, and the other vac we have; furniture will be vaccumed, carpet on stairs to my room will probably just be removed (the rest of the carpeting is already gone, anyway; thank god for small favors, I put in laminate flooring last summer). I'm going to move the couch and TV stand off the area rug so the foggers will hit all of it, I'll be moving all the furniture so I can clean under and behind each piece, 90% of my plushies are being bagged for a year of storage in the attic closet (which isn't insulated), while the rest get washed, and I'll be putting powder around the baseboards. The cats will be treated first, and I'd rather run the foggers on a day when I haven't worked, so that will be Tuesday most likely, as I've not enough sick time to call out with.

My main stressor at this point is the laundry. So - thoughts?
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Fleas. FLEAS! AUUUUGH!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 08:54:05 AM »
We used flea bombs once while I was growing up. We actually set them off first, and then AFTER laundry went into a trash bag in the bathroom (since it had all the chemicals on it) and was then washed as we had time. If I remember correctly it actually worked really well.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 09:09:43 AM »
Not what you asked... But look into diatomaceous earth (food grade) to help combat your problem.

As for laundry... Wash EVERYTHING then bag it.
I recommend ziplock XL bags. Besides daily stuff don't take anything out until problem is solved.

Stop putting your laundry in an area the cats can get into...? (covered laundry baskets?)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »
I don't have any advice but it sounds like you have a few ideas.

Best of luck <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Kazzellin

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 09:55:41 AM »
@Duenia - "As we have time" is definitely going to be the way to go. No way around that. ^^; I just don't want them coming back because of the laundry! :cry:

@Banditpony - Zip...lock...bags? XL Ziplock bags. :blink: :blink: :blink: I like your idea and would like to subscribe to your newsletter! That's better than the tent idea I had! The question is where to find them.

@Melodys_Angel - Thank you! Wishes of luck are always apreciated. :D

Y'all excuse me, I have some really big Ziplock bags to hunt down. :)

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
@Duenia - "As we have time" is definitely going to be the way to go. No way around that. ^^; I just don't want them coming back because of the laundry! :cry:

Yeah that's why we let the flea stuff hit the laundry :lol:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 10:11:25 AM »
@Banditpony - Zip...lock...bags? XL Ziplock bags. :blink: :blink: :blink: I like your idea and would like to subscribe to your newsletter! That's better than the tent idea I had! The question is where to find them.

Y'all excuse me, I have some really big Ziplock bags to hunt down. :)

See if your Walmart has some!
 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ziploc-XL-Big-Bags-4-count/14089250
That's what they look like.

Good luck, fleas are absolutely a pest. Ive been there done that thanks to a relative I'm not fond of.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 10:28:05 AM »
Been there, done that--I feel for you. :( Fleas can be a real nightmare!

The only advice I can offer is to be VERY careful with the flea medication. Cats, in my experience, are far more sensitive to that stuff than dogs, and they can get quite ill from the meds. Make sure you err on the side of caution when it comes to dosage! Also, keep an eye on them afterwards to watch for reactions.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »
Oh dear, fleas can be such a problem, sorry! The thing is you have to target the eggs as well otherwise the cycle just continues once they hatch again. Do you have a product called 'Program' over there? Or something similar? What it basically is is a pill that you give to your cats - and yes you will need to give it to every cat over about four weeks of age - that will render every flea that bites them sterile. So they will still lay the eggs, but those eggs will not hatch. This is not a quick fix, and will not harm the adult fleas, and it should be used in conjunction with other methods as the fleas have already moved in.

There is a version that is specifically for cats, because as Nemesis mentions you have to be careful with what you use on them due to the fact that they lick themselves clean. I would personally keep using it for at least three months after you stop noticing fleas in your house. But speak to your vet as to what is available where you are and what the norm is in your area and using that product.

It is a horrible situation to be in - I hope you get it resolved really quickly!

Offline Gator

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 12:02:44 PM »
Are your cats indoor only?  I can't help you with the fogger questions, but if your cats are indoor only, make sure you use a good product such as the Advantage products and treat all cats for at least three straight months, even applying early at three weeks before the product starts getting too weak.  That way your getting the new fleas as they hatch out, and eventually they will all die out.  If there is exposure to the outdoors, or dogs coming and going, you'll just need to stay with a monthly product indefinitely.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 12:27:13 PM »
Oh dear, fleas can be such a problem, sorry! The thing is you have to target the eggs as well otherwise the cycle just continues once they hatch again. Do you have a product called 'Program' over there? Or something similar? What it basically is is a pill that you give to your cats - and yes you will need to give it to every cat over about four weeks of age - that will render every flea that bites them sterile. So they will still lay the eggs, but those eggs will not hatch. This is not a quick fix, and will not harm the adult fleas, and it should be used in conjunction with other methods as the fleas have already moved in.

There is a version that is specifically for cats, because as Nemesis mentions you have to be careful with what you use on them due to the fact that they lick themselves clean. I would personally keep using it for at least three months after you stop noticing fleas in your house. But speak to your vet as to what is available where you are and what the norm is in your area and using that product.

It is a horrible situation to be in - I hope you get it resolved really quickly!

That's actually what we use in our home.  The fleas don't have enough time to become a problem and we don't have to use foggers or other poisons.  It worked in our backyard as well because of course the dog goes out and all fleas that bite him are affected.

I hope you can work out the flea problem.  Those things can be so annoying.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »
I had fleas terrible in the fall. I got rid of the ones that were biting at least, in about 8-10 days. I vacuumed everyday, including the hard wood floors and tiles. I bought Revolution flea and tick medication and that stuff is amazing!!! I also used Sentry home spray on all of my furniture, carpet, coats, and my bed. Luckily they didn't get into the closets, but I made sure all of my laundry was completely washed and put away every day.

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 06:52:36 PM »
Not what you asked... But look into diatomaceous earth (food grade) to help combat your problem.

As for laundry... Wash EVERYTHING then bag it.
I recommend ziplock XL bags. Besides daily stuff don't take anything out until problem is solved.

Stop putting your laundry in an area the cats can get into...? (covered laundry baskets?)

This! The diatomaceous earth is safe around pets and works for fleas and even bedbugs well! Not expensive either! Wash laundry with hot water. Vacuum daily for now. Once the cycle is broken you should be fine with weekly. Yes, it's a pain once you have an outbreak like this but we are seeing super fleas that are starting to be immune to some of the regular flea meds.
Good luck!

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline Kazzellin

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 08:19:27 PM »
Thanks everyone! I found the bags Banditpony recommend,  so all is well there. Need to find the bags to the one vacuum; still working on clearing the rug. Washing of a ton of laundry will commenced tomorrow, along with (hopefully) applying Advantage II to the cats. Here's hoping!

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 01:57:17 AM »
You've got some really good advice here. I'll add just a few things:

- Vaccuum regularly and make sure to move the furniture, carpets etc around as you do it. Movement, warmth and CO2 all encourage the flea pupae to hatch into adult fleas, which will then be killed off by the Advantage when they jump onto your cats. This is very important, as the pupae are notoriously difficult to get rid of (they can survive in that stage of their life cycle for several months), and if you don't, the fleas will keep coming back.

- Do not underdose the Advantage. Yes, cats can be sensitive, but you're not doing them any favours by underdosing, which will only render the medication inefficient. If you're not sure which dosage to use, please check with your vet. And don't forget to repeat the treatment at regular intervals.

Oh, and to solve the mystery of how the fleas came to be all over the house, even in rooms your cats aren't allowed to enter: While cat fleas can't live on humans permanently (if they only feed on humans, they die), they're quite happy to use them as temporary hosts. So yes, it's likely that you and your family carried them around the house. Sorry.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal