collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: OMG Restoration Help PLS  (Read 540 times)

Offline WaterRaven

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
OMG Restoration Help PLS
« on: July 03, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »
I used a rubber band to hold down Barnacle's hair while I was trying to style it. I left it on, forgetting about it, and when I went to take it off, THE RUBBER BAND melted/broke down on him. We have AC and he was not in the sun. I have no idea what happened. I had to peel off the broken pieces and it stained him!!!!!! I am heartbroken and devastated. He is one of my all time favourites. I can't believe I did this to him, it makes me sick (I realize I am overreacting, I just can't help it. I am so worked up).

Here are pictures of the damage. I was thinking maybe sun fading him, but is there anything else you guys would like to recommend?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. Pictures of the damage below  :sad:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Re: OMG Restoration Help PLS
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 11:30:45 PM »
Hi,
Have you tried Acetone first and foremost?

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline WaterRaven

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 12:18:26 AM »
Hi,
Have you tried Acetone first and foremost?

I used a nail polish remover that was not 100% acetone to get what you see in the photos. It's better than it was originally.

Should I go ahead and use my 100% acetone? I used my 100% acetone on a monster high doll recently and their arms are a different material than their faces and for some reason the 100% acetone had a strange reaction with the doll's arm and I was afraid to use it on one of my ponies. I rechecked the bottle and it's 100% acetone that's sold at walmart and stored in a plastic bottle.

Thank you so much for responding.

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 01:57:23 AM »
I would go start for sunfading. It shouldnt take to long to fade away a few days at a guess

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 03:32:07 AM »
Acetone won't remove that completely, though it's worth trying - will get rid of any leftover surface dye.  Just stay well away from any painted areas! Sunfade should take care of the rest, with any luck.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 08:53:19 AM »
I recommend carefully trying with 100% acetone.  It works much better than the diluted stuff in nail polish remover.  My guess is that it will not completely remove the marks, but may help, as others have said.

The good news is that dark marks often sunfade more easily than pink/red (at least in my experience).  His hair can fade as well, so wrap/tape up the rest of him, prop him up where his neck gets the full force of the sun, and put him out to sunbathe.  I have had a lot of good results with sunfading!  (Currently have a UK nurse pony with horrible pink marks all over her and a Caribbean Delight with brown smudges out fading in the sun; making progress!)

Offline WaterRaven

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
Hey everyone,

I greatly appreciate all of the replies. Thank you all so much.

The 100% acetone seemed to lessen the marks, but they are still prevalent, so I have prepped Barnacle for sun fading starting tomorrow. Hopefully in a couple of days I'll have some photos of him looking like new :D

On a side note, some of the acetone removed a little bit of the blushing on his cheeks, but I have some chalk pastels and will fix that right up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal