collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Restoration questions... again  (Read 602 times)

Offline Shabi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Restoration questions... again
« on: July 02, 2017, 11:45:17 AM »
1. Is there a way to wash off nail polisher without damaging factory paint? Vinegar + lemon, vinegar + baking soda and hot water didn't help. Please don't suggest rubbing alcohol coz it's banned here and it's super hard to get.
2. Is there a way to clean dirt without damaging gradient on G3s? I've tried magic eraser and it damages paint. It's not so bad since I was scrubbing near a huge hole in paint anyway.
3. Remember how you can use hand cream while straightening pony hair with curling iron? Somehow it makes G1, G3 and early G4 hair even more frizzy and dull. Is this because my iron has ceramic surface? It works great with latest G4 tails that get super frizzy right out of the box, it makes them even nicer than older hair.
4. I can guess it's not safe to defrizz color changing hair? It didn't change color already when I got the pony so I straightened it. It's better off straight and not working than frizzy and not working :/ But if I ever get a changing hair color pony should I use heat on her?

And the last question which doesn't have anything to do with restoration. I've seen most of you guys don't have glassed shelves. Don't you have a problem with dust? If your ponies get dusty do you wash them? I guess using a small vacuum cleaner would still damage their hair. I'm getting a bookshelf with doors made of transparent plastic. Plastic is cheaper, less heavy, harder to break and easier to clean.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration questions... again
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 12:38:55 PM »
1. Nail polish IS a type of paint so it's tricky to get off without also taking factory paint off.  If you have no access to acetone or isopropyl alcohol, you may be able to test with regular alcohol.  I know I've had to use vodka to clean residues before, have you tried it?

2.  If you have deeply ingrained dirt, I hold my pony over boiling water and let her bathe in the steam.  Then I wear gloves and scrub at the pony with a popsicle stick or a butter knife.

3.  Hand cream?  WHAT?  No, hair conditioner!!!!  You're supposed to use hair conditioner in a straight iron on the lowest heat setting.

4.  No it is NOT safe to apply any kind of heat to color change hair.  try to gently curl and style using cold water!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 02:25:15 PM »
1. I would try soemthing like vodka like lovesbabysquirmy suggested. Try some stronger kind, like 80% maybe? other than that, nail polish sometimes peels or chips off if you try to scrape it off, but that would probably take the paint under it with it :S exactly what parts of the ponies are covered? :/

2. I would say it depends on what kind of dirt it is. since you're saying g3 gradient I'm doubting pindot. I've personally never had magic eraser take off paint, but maybe you ahve a different kind that's stronger o: I would again try the vodka/rubbing alcohol, or just washing-up liquid and a very soft toothbrush (gently. and by washing up I mean for handwashing dishes, not dishwasher machine tablets)

3. I second what lovesbabysquirmy says again, never heard of hand cream on hair, try conditioner instead! and don't go too slow on the hair, or too big sections. I tend to do like a plug at a time (equivalent amount of hair for a plug with the tail), make sure it's saturated with conditioner and swipe it through with the iron. sometimes multiple times if needed, but making sure to re-saturate the hair with conditioner. Hope that helps :)

4. again, what LBS said :)

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Shabi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 04:26:41 PM »
1. Both eyes and cutie mark are covered in glittery nail polish, and it's a G4 pony Diamond Rose, quite a rare one  :( I've tried vodka and it doesn't work. Acetone damages paint and that's what I'm 100% sure of. Been there, done that xP
2. ...but I have yet to try vodka on that G3s dirt! Haven't thought of that, thanks.
3. I've seen it in derpyderp910 defrizzing video, they used body lotion. I don't have body lotion so I thought hand cream has the same level of grease, right? It actually worked magic with latest G4s. It makes their stiff dry tails super nice and shiny. I guess their hair isn't the same material as early G4s and older gens so that doesn't work. I did derfizzing with conditioner on G3s and the result wasn't as good as on those nasty tails on G4s. Oh well, I guess that's not such a big deal, it's still much better than before :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal