collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MIB or loose? Deboxing stress!  (Read 977 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
MIB or loose? Deboxing stress!
« on: July 02, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »
Y'all know this stress...  so here I am to wallow in frustration about it! 

Okay so I have four Little Apple Dolls - I have had them since they were released FOREVER ago and I don't plan on selling them. 

I don't have social media and I don't plan on it. 

I have tried to find reviews on these earlier ones but no such luck.  So I am a little worried to debox them and not know what they are made of, etc.  Are they vinyl?  Are they jointed?  I figure I can get those boxes open and closed for display/storage just fine but I don't want to find out they are display-only quality if I want to say, make them more kimono robes and I need to change their clothing and  re-pose them. 

Thoughts????  I kind of want to build them a Shinto shrine temple dollhouse box so all my other esoteric Japanese collection has SOMEWHERE to go, but I need to know what I'm getting into before I start opening art dolls that I have kept MIB for over a decade...
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: MIB or loose? Deboxing stress!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 11:52:30 PM »
I must admit that I know close to nothing about these dolls, so this information might not be new to you, but I thought I'd still share :blush: ^.^
Emily @ Toy Box Philosopher has reviewed a 2005 Little Apple doll (based on the review this doll is considered to be an older one, too), you might be able to find some answers on the quality in this review. I unfortunately can't remember if she mentioned the material from which the body was made (she usually does though), but I do remember she was not thrilled by the hair quality :/

I personally love that many of these dolls have a monochrome colour scheme, but the 14 inch size is a complete turnoff for me unfortunately. Half this size or smaller and I'd be running straight to evilBay to get one of my own.

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:34:31 AM »
Half this size or smaller and I'd be running straight to evilBay to get one of my own.

You know they DID make little vinyl miniatures of some of them?  Like 4" tall...  ;)
https://www.amazon.com/Little-Apple-Dolls-Mini-Figures/dp/B000IOH9WA

Thanks for your help... my quest to build them a perfect space to live BEFORE I debox them continues... ;)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Cswift

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 11:51:15 AM »
I have a deboxed Little Apple Doll so I can help you out here. :)

They are definitely not made of soft vinyl. I'm not sure exactly what kind of plastic they're constructed with, but it's hard and solid with just a little tooth.

Their articulation is pretty minimal -- their head can twist left or right, and they have rotational joints at the shoulders and hips, but nothing else. The one I have is Irae, and I was pretty happy with the quality of her clothing, but it might vary depending on which one you have. I haven't tried to take her kimono off because I don't intend for her to wear anything else.

I honestly think the Toybox Philosopher might've just gotten super unlucky regarding the quality of her doll's hair. My Irae's isn't the nicest-feeling, but it brushes out just fine (with little to no shedding) and looks great. I don't even really mind the dry feeling, considering these dolls are supposed to be a kind of living dead. I think it suits them. :P

I'd say they'd be great for what you're suggesting, and if your heart's really set on it, you should totally go for making a shinto-style shrine for them! Unfortunately, they wouldn't be able to kneel like how traditional Japanese dolls are often posed, so really it's up to you. I'm a little biased myself since I don't believe in keeping dolls in their boxes forever. :)
"I want to live forever, with no pain whatsoever, owning vast personal property plus a company of nubiles." - Captain Fwiffo, Star Control 2

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 11:18:17 AM »
Half this size or smaller and I'd be running straight to evilBay to get one of my own.

You know they DID make little vinyl miniatures of some of them?  Like 4" tall...  ;)
https://www.amazon.com/Little-Apple-Dolls-Mini-Figures/dp/B000IOH9WA
Oh wow, I never knew, thank you for the info! That is just the perfect size, they are totally adorable! :3 They (at least one of them, I don't actually think I need all 3, there don't seem to be much difference in them apart from the clothes, and I'd make her new clothes anyway ^^ ) just went onto my wishlist :)

ETA: oh, bummer... I was reading on about the minis and just realised that they had plastic hair :/ that's something I'd seriously dislike and I'd definitely want to try rerooting them if I ever got one - but without know how the plastic hair is connected to the hair, so not knowing if rerooting is even possible, this will seriously limit the amount of money I am willing to pay for one...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:59:23 PM by Loona »

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal