collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 92172 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2018, 09:58:47 AM »
The official translations sometimes have mistakes also. The Kodansha translation of Sailor Moon before the Eternal edition was released has a pretty famous error where they mistranslated Jupiter's attack "Sparkling Wide Pressure" as "Spark Ring Pressure" and even when they became aware of the error they made no effort to fix it in the version that's been in print since 2012. :lol:

I think keeping that characteristic in Bleach would have added another layer to the character. I've noticed in Honey So Sweet and Your name translated versions they keep the nuances of the honorifics. In one scene in Your Name Mitsuha  in Taki's body is scolded by another member of the wait staff for using san instead of senpai when addressing Miss Okedera. In Honey So Sweet the characters don't refer to each other by their first name unless they are close or have permission to do so. :)

Ponyfan

Yeah, I'm pretty sure even in the English version of Fruits Basket (And it's a long time since I read it) Touru's friends are still referred to by their nicknames as in the Japanese, even though their actual first names are Arisa and Saki if I remember rightly. I may be wrong but I think they're still Uo and Hana..?

So it is really a twitch I inherited from Bleach, but yeah. It happens.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2018, 08:24:49 PM »
Haven't started reading any of it yet, but I did get several volumes of InuYasha in a trade with Sapphire_Rain recently!  That is a series that will take a long time to collect ... there are so many volumes... but each book gets me a little closer!  :D
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2018, 07:11:22 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure even in the English version of Fruits Basket (And it's a long time since I read it) Touru's friends are still referred to by their nicknames as in the Japanese, even though their actual first names are Arisa and Saki if I remember rightly. I may be wrong but I think they're still Uo and Hana..?

Dunno about the more recent translation, but the old Tokyopop translation definitely has them as Uo-chan and Hana-chan. IIRC they were really good about leaving the honorifics in that series.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2018, 12:59:23 PM »
I’m looking at the Friuts Basket manga now since I’m watching the anime.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2018, 03:29:32 PM »

Dunno about the more recent translation, but the old Tokyopop translation definitely has them as Uo-chan and Hana-chan. IIRC they were really good about leaving the honorifics in that series.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I read Furuba a really long time ago so I actually have a weird mix of volumes (some in English, a few in French, and a few in Japanese, LOL) because when I started reading Furuba I think it was either when I started learning Japanese or right before it. And I picked up the French ones in Belgium because the French translation was ahead of the English back then...which tells you how long ago it was as it was still being translated O.o. And I was pretty sure they were still Hana and Uo, not Saki and Arisa.

I don't buy manga often but I just bought a few volumes of Akatsuki no Yona from amazon.jp. Because I basically watched the whole anime in about 2 days when I really should have been doing something else. And cliffhangers are annoying when there's no season 2. But it has some interesting characters and there's some multidimensional things going on which I want to know the answers to. Which I guess is the basic point of the anime, to be a glorified advert to lure people in to reading the manga.

Sigh.

I have no space for manga but whatever. It;s worse when it's a long series too. This one is 28 and counting so I thought I'd buy a few volumes and see if I like reading it as I'm probably not going to save much on bulk buying it when it's still going and the shipping would kill me with current exchange rates :/

I try to avoid really long series if I can, albeit not always successfully.

Inuyasha's one of those which I watched the anime for years back and Final Act when it came out but I steered clear of the manga because it's so LONG. And I just see long manga series and cry blood at the potential shipping cost. I hope you enjoy reading Inuyasha, LBS.

I have to admit that I would enjoy Inuyasha more if Kikyou didn't exist, but anyhow...for me it was worth watching pretty much for Sesshoumaru >.>
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2019, 11:01:57 AM »
I bought the first 3 volumes of Takane and Hana today and also found volume 1 and 2 of Fruits Basket in stock on Amazon.com :cheer: :cheer:

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2019, 04:19:28 PM »
Yay Ponyfan :D

So I am now on volume 25 of Akatsuki no Yona (out of 28 currently in print), after deciding to read it only slowly to see if I liked it and ending up buying the whole manga within a short space of time. Sigh. If not for Christmas, New Year and my thesis, I'd probably have read the whole thing by now. Well, at least I can recommend it...?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2019, 01:01:34 PM »
I bought a copy of I am Hero in Ibaraki! Will start reading today when I got to bed <3

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2019, 10:39:43 PM »
I bought a copy of I am Hero in Ibaraki! Will start reading today when I got to bed <3

Cant really reccommend this book :/ Drawings were nice but the story lacks a lot! I feel I wasted my money on this.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2019, 10:44:07 AM »

Cant really reccommend this book :/ Drawings were nice but the story lacks a lot! I feel I wasted my money on this.

I'm sorry your book was disappointing.  :hug:

I bought some of Takane & Hana based on recommendations from other people. I hope it's as good as they said.  My first two volumes of Fruits Baskets should arrive today.

Ponyfan

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2019, 01:43:14 PM »
I am starting volume 4 of Red River.  I really am enjoying this series, but that's because I adore the art style...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2019, 10:23:04 AM »
I finally started Fruits Basket. :)

Ponyfan

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2019, 01:15:15 PM »
I finally started Fruits Basket. :)

Ponyfan

Heard quite a lot people saying its good :) Have fun! (and let us know if its good :P) :D

I am starting volume 4 of Red River.  I really am enjoying this series, but that's because I adore the art style...

The title sounds interesting, what is it about?

Ive got 4 copies of Attack On Titan on the way from medimops.de :D Yeah!! So I guess Ill be reading book 9 of the series by the end of the week!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2019, 05:05:46 PM »

The title sounds interesting, what is it about?

The typical "middle-school girl magically travels back in time" to ancient Turkey/Anatolia in Bronze Age times... 
The Bad Trader List

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2019, 07:16:37 AM »
ah ok, thank you :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal