collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 90713 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2018, 06:12:05 PM »
Someone posted a lot of pics of the new Sailor Moon Eternal book on Amazon. From those pics I was able to compare it to the regular English edition of the manga. 😀 There are 7 Acts in each volume instead of the usual 6. The translation is slightly different but not much. I don’t see the point of buying Sailor Moon Eternal just for a few different words and different full color artwork.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2018, 04:37:50 PM »
Just finished reading Battle Royale and whoooompf that was an emotional wringer...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2018, 01:26:19 PM »
I just bought the 2nd volume of Your Name(I’ve been wanting it for quite a while) and also bought Codename Sailor V recently.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2018, 01:50:50 PM »
The other weekend I was rereading bits of Haruka. Because the best scenes are not in the anime and that's annoying.
Real nostalgia kick. It must be 10 years since I first read it...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2018, 03:35:51 PM »
Manga is a bit too cheap here, so mountains of second hand purchased manga have started piling up. I SHOULD read all these mangas I have hoarded in the last four years, and I could start maybe with Tactics or Chobits. I think there were some other interesting ones in this book ocean of mine.
But instead I decided I could reread Black Butler! Not like this. Got stuck with it though since I 'm missing the 11th and 15th volumes and I'd like to read only physical copies this time. That, and due to poor lighting it's hard to find comfortable sitting positions in my room.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2018, 03:39:59 PM »
I have the opposite problem in that getting hold of manga that I want here is sometimes tricky. I only read it in Japanese these days anyway, but that's actually a good thing because it means I conserve space and only ever buy the series I'm really intent on. I have some older manga that I got before I learned Japanese. I think I have all of Fruits Basket but across 3 languages (English, French and Japanese) which is destabilising xD.

The only ones I can really get to these days though are Haruka, Fushigi Yuugi and Saiyuuki. I have to go digging for the others...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2018, 03:59:07 PM »
I have the opposite problem in that getting hold of manga that I want here is sometimes tricky. I only read it in Japanese these days anyway, but that's actually a good thing because it means I conserve space and only ever buy the series I'm really intent on. I have some older manga that I got before I learned Japanese. I think I have all of Fruits Basket but across 3 languages (English, French and Japanese) which is destabilising xD.

The only ones I can really get to these days though are Haruka, Fushigi Yuugi and Saiyuuki. I have to go digging for the others...

I have the issue that I buy every even slightly interesting seeming manga I see, haha. Now when it comes to series I'd actualy like to read and get a hold of like Tactics and Dogs: Bullets and Carnage / Stray Dogs Howling in the Dark and those few missing Black Butler volumes?? I can't find them. Then again the two first are veery obscure...
Also if you only read japanese manga you have a lot wider amount of manga to read! I'd love to read manga adaptions of some video games I like, but what are offical or fan translations, sigh.
Also I know some japanese webstores with wide selection if I can help?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2018, 04:25:18 PM »
Thanks xD but it's not really about finding them, it's the mixture of space and expenditure. I tend to only buy series that I have a strong attachment to for that reason. I've bought in bulk second hand online before but the shipping is costly even if the books aren't overall. So you might pay 500 yen for 15 volumes but then get stung on postage xD.

For new stuff there's always places like play asia, cdjapan, amazon etc. When I was in Japan I also saw whole sets of manga being sold cheap in second hand stores like bookoff which also sell online - but I knew I couldn't get them into the case to take home :( I brought second hand DVDs of retired anime back with me but no manga :/

There;s quite a lot of manga in English here but I am not really a fan of translated manga. There have been series for which I've preferred the anime because even though anime often abridges thing, frequently the dialogue is closer to the original in the Japanese version than any translated version, at least in English. Dunno about other languages but in English there's also a trend to westernise terms or name order and you lose the nuances. Having also spent some time on a forum retranslating scenes from a series for a fandom because the only online scanlators played loose and fast with the original, made mistakes and inserted swear words and colloquialisms instead of actually rendering it properly, I lost faith in online translations. This one community I'm talking about, they'd translate in a hurry from a Chinese translation of a Japanese original and stuff got muddled. There's still one key aspect of that manga that fans are hugely divided on because the actual canon says it one way, and fan translation says it another. I'm a detail geek so I like to know what's actually being said or happening...and picking up nuances in the language that don't get translated.

Tactics isn't that obscure, is it?

I have a few games that go with franchises. I also like the live seiyuu events because they have such twisted senses of humour and they're so funny with how they spoof up their characters in hugely unlikely scenarios. I think sometimes that makes me more connected to a franchise than just the manga on its own. I feel like a lot of stuff doesn't get translated outside of Japan, which is a real shame.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 04:32:54 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2018, 05:11:31 PM »
Thanks xD but it's not really about finding them, it's the mixture of space and expenditure. I tend to only buy series that I have a strong attachment to for that reason. I've bought in bulk second hand online before but the shipping is costly even if the books aren't overall. So you might pay 500 yen for 15 volumes but then get stung on postage xD.

For new stuff there's always places like play asia, cdjapan, amazon etc. When I was in Japan I also saw whole sets of manga being sold cheap in second hand stores like bookoff which also sell online - but I knew I couldn't get them into the case to take home :( I brought second hand DVDs of retired anime back with me but no manga :/

There;s quite a lot of manga in English here but I am not really a fan of translated manga. There have been series for which I've preferred the anime because even though anime often abridges thing, frequently the dialogue is closer to the original in the Japanese version than any translated version, at least in English. Dunno about other languages but in English there's also a trend to westernise terms or name order and you lose the nuances. Having also spent some time on a forum retranslating scenes from a series for a fandom because the only online scanlators played loose and fast with the original, made mistakes and inserted swear words and colloquialisms instead of actually rendering it properly, I lost faith in online translations. This one community I'm talking about, they'd translate in a hurry from a Chinese translation of a Japanese original and stuff got muddled. There's still one key aspect of that manga that fans are hugely divided on because the actual canon says it one way, and fan translation says it another. I'm a detail geek so I like to know what's actually being said or happening...and picking up nuances in the language that don't get translated.

Tactics isn't that obscure, is it?

I have a few games that go with franchises. I also like the live seiyuu events because they have such twisted senses of humour and they're so funny with how they spoof up their characters in hugely unlikely scenarios. I think sometimes that makes me more connected to a franchise than just the manga on its own. I feel like a lot of stuff doesn't get translated outside of Japan, which is a real shame.

Ahh understandable.

Definetly. And yes, my visit to Japan was quite quick but I bought in like new condition for around 1500 yen some three volume manga from the 90s, it's definetly not that valuable there.
That's so sad though!

Ahh I see. I see indeed.
And yes. It's especialy present on childrens series, names get changed to total nonsense.
Oh my. That's why offical translations most of the time are better. Then there are the rare opposites though: one old old anime I like has better fansubs than offical subs. The offical subtitles even mess up character names.
Yeah understandable.

I myself have never heard anyone know it? But who knows.

Oo that sounds awesome!
Understandable. No matter what translated manga will always be only a fraction of what exists.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2018, 02:50:40 AM »
I admit I don't see or hear much talk about Tactics these days though back when the anime series came out it was a bit more talked about I think. I have never looked at the manga, somewhere I have the anime on DVD for some reason though I don't think I actually ever got around to watching it. For me a really obscure manga is one that never got picked up for translation, like Sotsugyou M (which kind of had a whole seiyuu doing live concerts thing, plus novels, etc, but nothing ever got translated into English. The animated special is on youtube but is only about 0.1% close to the actual overall storyline or characters.

I think this is a problem particularly with older anime/manga that predate internet mass uploading or scanning or whatever. Even ones from the dialup internet period (like SotsuM). Now it's much easier for many series to be translated online and there's a wider understanding that there's a global interest which maybe wasn't always there before?

And then there's series like the Haruka one I mentioned before - the manga was released in English, the anime main series was also released in the US on DVD with horrible subtitles that make a mess of the names and the cultural aspects of Heian Japan. But the thing is Haruka is a six game franchise now spanning almost 20 years of production and six different settings. Although there are animated OVA for 2 and 3 (both on youtube except the last part of 3) they've never had the full release outside of Japan. There's no manga except random chapters also not released outside of Japan. Haruka 4 has no animation and only brief chapters of manga, not translated. It will also never have an anime now because the voice artist for the central female character has passed away. Haruka 5 had manga for two or three volumes then got dropped which I still feel is a shame, also didn't get translated. Haruka 6 has manga at the moment - as far as I know, no translation. Both Haruka 1 and Haruka 5 have live stage shows as well and they have regular annual seiyuu events. None of this is available in English or even with subs. And the games of course are only available in Japanese. The most successful Haruka games seem to be 1 and 3 as they keep reformatting, rereleasing and upgrading them - but nothing from 3 has ever been released in English. So to most people outside of Japan, Haruka is a 26 episode anime series and a 17 volume manga series and that is all. I don't even think they released the movie in English or with English subs.

So what is a pretty successful and popular Japanese franchise spanning almost 2 decades...is not really that well known in other places. Whereas other series are picked up and the foreign language market is flooded with them. I tend to have a rule that if I've seen a manga or anime in a shop in the UK, it's mainstream xD If not, it's not...

But I can't remember with Tactics because I never looked for the manga.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 04:10:52 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2018, 05:58:08 AM »
I admit I don't see or hear much talk about Tactics these days though back when the anime series came out it was a bit more talked about I think. I have never looked at the manga, somewhere I have the anime on DVD for some reason though I don't think I actually ever got around to watching it. For me a really obscure manga is one that never got picked up for translation, like Sotsugyou M (which kind of had a whole seiyuu doing live concerts thing, plus novels, etc, but nothing ever got translated into English. The animated special is on youtube but is only about 0.1% close to the actual overall storyline or characters.

I think this is a problem particularly with older anime/manga that predate internet mass uploading or scanning or whatever. Even ones from the dialup internet period (like SotsuM). Now it's much easier for many series to be translated online and there's a wider understanding that there's a global interest which maybe wasn't always there before?

And then there's series like the Haruka one I mentioned before - the manga was released in English, the anime main series was also released in the US on DVD with horrible subtitles that make a mess of the names and the cultural aspects of Heian Japan. But the thing is Haruka is a six game franchise now spanning almost 20 years of production and six different settings. Although there are animated OVA for 2 and 3 (both on youtube except the last part of 3) they've never had the full release outside of Japan. There's no manga except random chapters also not released outside of Japan. Haruka 4 has no animation and only brief chapters of manga, not translated. It will also never have an anime now because the voice artist for the central female character has passed away. Haruka 5 had manga for two or three volumes then got dropped which I still feel is a shame, also didn't get translated. Haruka 6 has manga at the moment - as far as I know, no translation. Both Haruka 1 and Haruka 5 have live stage shows as well and they have regular annual seiyuu events. None of this is available in English or even with subs. And the games of course are only available in Japanese. The most successful Haruka games seem to be 1 and 3 as they keep reformatting, rereleasing and upgrading them - but nothing from 3 has ever been released in English. So to most people outside of Japan, Haruka is a 26 episode anime series and a 17 volume manga series and that is all. I don't even think they released the movie in English or with English subs.

So what is a pretty successful and popular Japanese franchise spanning almost 2 decades...is not really that well known in other places. Whereas other series are picked up and the foreign language market is flooded with them. I tend to have a rule that if I've seen a manga or anime in a shop in the UK, it's mainstream xD If not, it's not...

But I can't remember with Tactics because I never looked for the manga.

Honestly the Tactics anime is terrible, one of the worst I've seen, I'm just extremely curious is the manga better. I have the two first volumes so I should read them.

Hmm then can we settle with there being three levels of obscure? The forgotten ones, the ones that never were popular, and the ones that never made it over the ocean.
Ah I see! A basic case of a series that is well known in it's own country but nowhere else. One old old anime I like, Shinzo Ningen Casshan, was apparently quite popular in Japan still in the 70s and in general Tatsunokos animes were apparently big back in the day. But in US very few of Tatsunokos series are known even somewhat, as most never got localized. I'm honestly surprised there's even a (terribly) subbed DVD box of the original Casshan. (This is the offical sub that even messes up character names!!!)
Though Shinzo Ningen Casshan was apparently dubbed in south European countries like Italy and maybe Spain so it is atleast poorly known there.

I agree, anime/manga that goes beyond 1985 is nearly impossible to find online and even some newer series have managed to slip trough the cracks into obscurity.

Very interesting to read, very interesting!!! It's always interesting to hear about these more forgotten series release stories.

I wouldn't classify all translated manga mainstream, especialy some older ones. I'm not home as I'm typing this, so I can't try to find some examples from my manga ocean.
For example though, here we get some one shot mangas translated and released, and like two months after release they fade back into the unknown, never to be talked about again.
There also also cases of the opposite: Zetsuai is one of the most known older series of the yaoi genre, even in the west. The manga never was translated to english, but to other languages like spanish and german yes. The anime only has a fansub, yet the series is far from unknown.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2018, 11:50:07 AM »
So this is kind of not anime or manga but it relates to me more to manga so I'm going to put it here.

Bleach is literally the only really mainstream manga I have ever followed for an extended period of time. Although it has a fair amount of fighting and stuff (being a shounen manga), there are a lot of cool cultural aspects shoved into it (like reference to the shinsengumi, etc) and some great characters and character relationships. So I've always been fond of it, going back quite some time.

I remember a while back talk about a live action Bleach movie. I just randomly found it on Netflix so decided to watch it for kicks. It actually wasn't as cringey as I thought it would be, but I have big issues with two things...
Spoiler
Firstly, they mess horribly with Byakuya's moral compass. And his hair, but yeah, it's a live action anime movie, so I'll let that one go. But the moral compass is a problem for me. Byakuya comes to get Rukia and kill Ichigo. He doesn't give Rukia choices. It's kill Ichigo and then come back and be judged by the law of Seireitei. It definitely isn't "I'll give you to the full moon, kill him and we'll let you off". It makes it sound like he's willing to cover the whole business up to let Rukia get away with rule breaking. It's so much more complicated than that and he sounds completely corrupt and thuggish as a result. He has a higher purpose. He ought to stick to it.

Secondly, Rukia goes back to SS but anyone who knows Bleach knows she's going back to be killed so it's hardly a great ending. I can only think they plan more of these. It's so weird that this happens so long after Bleach finishes (and the last arc of Bleach was a train wreck anyway on every level).

But weirdly, I found myself less repulsed by a weird live action version of a manga series with some clear deviations from the original plot structure than I do by the last arc of the manga.
Spoiler

I followed Bleach for a long time, but the last arc kind of drove me away from it. I only spent so much time dealing with it because I was translating large sections of it for people in the fan community, and therefore couldn't escape from the trainwreck. It's an arc in which most of the established character relationships disappear, things contradict earlier stated facts from previous arcs, a whole flood of unnecessary new characters get poured in and events fail to connect to each other in the way they always did before.

I think I counted two and a half actual years between the defeat of one character and the acknowledgement of it and any further reference to him...two and a half REAL years, not manga years - in which not a single one of the character's allies or friends commented on his absence, his defeat, or anything else. In fact, even if he had been killed, his body itself vanished from the rubble, only for him to randomly appear there again 2 and a half years after as if it had been there the whole time...and alive.

Characters died in unexplicable ways. They also survived in unexplicable ways. I mean, if you're going to kill a character, make it make sense within the plot and everything else. And yeesh, remember who you've killed, where and when. And don't have a character get attacked then completely forget the attack happened and never mention it again so that even now nobody knows who was responsible...

And the ranting could continue, but yeah.
It just makes me wish over again that the manga had ended at the Fullbringer arc. I mean, that was at times ridiculous, but at least there was still some semblance of plot and character involved...but as it is, watching a shady live action movie is as close as I get to watching or reading Bleach these days. All because the taint of the last arc is still hanging over it...

Maybe one day the writer will write a final chapter in which it turns out that the last arc was all just Ishida's dream...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:53:02 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2018, 01:13:40 PM »
I don’t read Bleach and haven’t watched the live action movie on Netflix but I know what you mean about movies messing with a character’s moral compass. My absolute favorite musical is Les Miserables and I was dissapointed in the 1998 movie. I was so excited for the musical movie version when it came out in 2012. It’s kind of a combination of the book and the musical meaning some points followed the book and others the musical. There is one scene (can’t say too much because it’s a major spoiler) where the movie followed the book instead of the musical making one of the major characters look like he didn’t care that other characters’ lives were at risk.

I can’t read Japanese so I read translated manga but I know that there might be translation errors or other issues with the translated versions.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2018, 06:05:19 AM »

I can’t read Japanese so I read translated manga but I know that there might be translation errors or other issues with the translated versions.

All my negative experiences of translated manga admittedly come from scanlations rather than official translations, and particularly in the Bleach fandom, where things were really done messily. I am aware of this perhaps more because I did a lot of retranslating for a forum there more than I have done with any other - Bleach being a mainstream popular manga and on a weekly schedule meant everything was done with a rush and there were lots of people clamouring for it so people didn't take time to correct their errors.

My issue with Bleach in English in terms of the official is not so much the translation but the lack of awareness of cultural paradigms. This in the anime too, but the chief example I use is a character called Ishida Uryuu, who in both manga and anime in Japanese hates being called by his given name (Uryuu) and gets quite snarky at people who call him that because they don't know him well enough to be that familiar. Yet in the English he's "Uryuu" from the start and that just tramples over his character before he's had a chance to state it. Just because in the west it's normal to use first names doesn't make it acceptable to change the whole nature of a character in order to force western norms on the story. He could have stayed Ishida, but they didn't do that. So I guess my issue with officially translated manga is they westernise things too much and thus sweep over cultural nuances. There's less unnecessary swearing or reckless or bad translating, but it's not necessarily accurate to the original and I'm a detail geek.

I also hated that Fushigi Yuugi in English uses the Chinese readings of all the names. I understand why they do, as it's set in Ancient China so that makes sense. But I hate it. Especially since their stellar names are still Japanese, but the character names and place names are suddenly entirely unrelatable to the original :/ The same happened with Saiunkoku for the same reason. Although in that case I think the original author actually wanted that to happen in translation so *shrug*.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2018, 09:48:14 AM »
The official translations sometimes have mistakes also. The Kodansha translation of Sailor Moon before the Eternal edition was released has a pretty famous error where they mistranslated Jupiter's attack "Sparkling Wide Pressure" as "Spark Ring Pressure" and even when they became aware of the error they made no effort to fix it in the version that's been in print since 2012. :lol:

I think keeping that characteristic in Bleach would have added another layer to the character. I've noticed in Honey So Sweet and Your name translated versions they keep the nuances of the honorifics. In one scene in Your Name Mitsuha  in Taki's body is scolded by another member of the wait staff for using san instead of senpai when addressing Miss Okedera. In Honey So Sweet the characters don't refer to each other by their first name unless they are close or have permission to do so. :)

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal