collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 90652 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2018, 04:32:08 PM »
It looks like I will have to order Volume 7 of Honey so Sweet as the bookstore that I usually buy my manga from still doesn't have it stock. It's been over a month now and there's no Honey So Sweet volume 7 on the shelf.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2018, 04:53:49 PM »
I just finished Fushigi Yugi vol 2, but I really didn't like it. I read the first volume and wasn't super impressed, then I read the second volume because I happened to already have it and I really disliked it. There's a transgender character who gets picked on by the other characters and I'm just not down for that. :( It's sad because I've enjoyed other things the author wrote.

I'm now about to pick up Kamisama Kiss. I've also been off and on reading In This Corner of the World, but I don't love the art style and it's not super holding my interest.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2018, 01:33:31 PM »
At last I have my copy of Honey So Sweet volume 7.

Ponyfan

Offline beajjai033

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • "It will all be worth it in the end."
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2018, 02:13:46 AM »
Oh, I know a manga I will be reading/would be reading if the mangaka recovers and gets back to writing it. Saiyuuki. Saiyuuki Reload Blast, to be accurate. I love Saiyuuki, <3. But its poor creator is ill so often that it's constantly on hiatus.

I love Saiyuki as well! :lovey:
Glad we're the same.
Yes, so sad that the creator is ill. Well, I can be sure that I will always wait for it, even if it feels like forever :lol:

Parasyte is another horror classic I recommend.

I like Parasyte as well. I have always adored Migi :P

Currently I am reading Nanatsu No Taizai and Shingeki No Kyojin.
I love me some adventure/action manga.

Offline poniiprincess

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Pony/Doll Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2018, 06:08:48 AM »
I need to get back to reading Magical Gitl Apocalypse, but recently I was looking at the MLP comics. Realized thougg i have some catching up on the FIM show before I do that.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2018, 12:17:57 PM »
I got Awkward Silence Vol.6 today and SQUEEEEEEE I love it!!! A happy ending, so sugar-sweet and cute! The only downside is a very short and light end to the second couple, but the mains get a BEAUTIFUL ending and I love love love it!

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2018, 02:33:04 PM »
I've been continuing with Kamisama Kiss, while also reading a bit of Citrus. I'm not a big fan of the story in Citrus but the artwork is breathtaking. I mean, wow. I wish the creator of that manga would do some sort of fantasy story.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2018, 05:18:55 AM »

Ponyfan

Glad to hear it. I got tired of waiting for my regular source and ebay'ed it. I've since moved onto Kamisama Kiss and Fullmetal Alchemist - I adore the anime's of both, and figure the manga could only get better.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2018, 12:56:41 PM »

Ponyfan

Glad to hear it. I got tired of waiting for my regular source and ebay'ed it. I've since moved onto Kamisama Kiss and Fullmetal Alchemist - I adore the anime's of both, and figure the manga could only get better.
I've heard the manga of Fullmetal Alchemist is waaay better than the anime, though I've only read the first two volumes so I can't confirm. I'm planning to get back into the manga, though.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »
I just finished the last 2 volumes of Honey So Sweet. It was a great manga series. :) Does anyone have any suggestions for another series to start?

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2018, 05:38:32 AM »
I just finished Fushigi Yugi vol 2, but I really didn't like it. I read the first volume and wasn't super impressed, then I read the second volume because I happened to already have it and I really disliked it. There's a transgender character who gets picked on by the other characters and I'm just not down for that. :( It's sad because I've enjoyed other things the author wrote.
This comment made me sad because it's not the case at all.

The initial meeting between Nuriko and the others is not the best. I don't think any of them come over too well in the early scenes, because Nuriko is not behaving like Nuriko really is, and she's winding up Tama and Miaka, and ultimately it ends up in a big tactless reveal disaster. BUT the important thing is that the others accept Nuriko for who she is. And actually, part of the story itself is really Nuriko discovering who she is. I use she, but I am never totally sure that's correct, because I don't really feel that Nuriko is transgender - maybe gender fluid is more accurate. It's a bit complicated. But ultimately I think it's Miaka who says something like, whether a man or a woman, Nuriko is Nuriko.

The characters all pick on each other to a degree over the course of the story. But I think you're jumping to conclusions about how they treat Nuriko. I think she's the glue that binds them all together at points in the story. And it's definitely true that Tama, Miaka and Tasuki get picked on by the other characters much more than Nuriko does (and by Nuriko). But most of that is in good humour. Tamahome and Tasuki have an ongoing thing between them of adolescent male one-upmanship, for example, and Nuriko and Tasuki have ongoing banter about Tasuki's lack of delicacy.

Yuugi is mostly about not jumping to conclusions and judging on appearances, because often there's a lot more going on underneath. Most of the characters in Yuugi have more going on than the surface and the novels especially help expose that even more.

In any case, I can think of a lot of reasons why people might not like Yuugi, and if you don't like it then you don't. But I wanted to set the record straight, because Nuriko is so much beloved by them all...

I also hate the English manga because it changes all the names from their original Japanese pronunciation into more correct Chinese pronunciation. The mangaka did ask for that to happen, I believe, but it's still really disconnecting. I saw the Yuugi anime in part before I read the manga, and I couldn't get on with the English manga so I stopped reading it till my Japanese was good enough to read in Japanese. Yuugi was the reason I learned Japanese, because I wanted to read the novels (which are awesome but only translated into German -.-).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 05:56:12 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2018, 05:46:17 AM »
Im currently on  book 4 of Yu-Gi-Oh! Its kinda great, sooo different from the TV series at least from what I saw on TV and what Ive been reading so far. The TV series seems to be all about cards while the mangas are more about different games. Well, I didnt watch many episodes, so it might change over time. And I have to say I enjoy "Jonouchi" way more than "Joey" :P

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2018, 12:26:03 PM »
I looked through the manga section of Barnes and Noble today to see if anything really caught my eye but there are so many series it's a little overwhelming for me to try to figure out what a good next series would be for me.

I did look at a few but left with no new manga.  The ones I looked at today or am considering picking up.

My Love Story

Codename Sailor V

Sailor Moon 6

In This Corner of the World

I really enjoyed the anime of Your Name and heard there is a manga series also. 

I read a few pages of In This Corner of the World but it seemed a little confusing? I saw the anime recently and I thought the monster at the very beginning (when she's in the big city)  was only in Suzu's imagation but it seemed like the monster was real in the manga or maybe I didn't read far enough to find out.

Ponyfan

Offline SparkleSkye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
  • I have anxiety pls be nice to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2018, 01:13:22 PM »
I'm always in the process of rereading Fullmetal Alchemist, I adore it so much (side note, the manga is way better than the second anime adaptation Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, but the first anime adaptation, commonly called fma 03, split off pretty early in the story as it was made before the manga finished and in my opinion easily stands on its own as an anime if you dont compare it to the 'source material')
I'm also reading Legend of Arslan, and I've been looking around for physical copies of Junji Ito's work as I've only ever read legally-grey digital versions and I want to support the author. Uzumaki in particular is one I'd love to have in hardback on my shelf.
Sparkleworks and Autumn Skye are girlfriends

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2018, 03:55:09 PM »
Has anyone read Twinkle Star?

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal