collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 91575 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #450 on: April 06, 2022, 01:35:08 PM »
Ima Koi o shite imasu makes more sense ;)
On Daiya...
Spoiler
I think that I've read the mangaka was pretty burned out by the time he got to vol 47. So probably there were things he didn't go into. I think it's a shame, though. I think a lot of fans wanted to see a dynamic in which Miyuki, Zono and Mochi had more bonding time tbh. I certainly think that by act 2 the friendship between Miyuki and Mochi especially is clear, but also Zono as well to some degree. And Shirasu, who seems to me like defacto vice vice Captain at times.

But I like character bonding moments, so.

On Daiya fandom...
Spoiler
The Daiya fandom is frustrating, honestly. Sadly Eijun fans are the bulk of the problem.

Fanfiction is kind of fine in my view, everyone has the freedom to express how they want to express it. The problem I have is when people try and force their reinvention of the manga on the fandom. There's a lot of toxicity, I've seen a lot of hate aimed at poor Furuya, at Miyuki (that latter I've experienced directly)...I even saw an expletive filled rant aimed at Oota once, which is mad because he's a very unassuming teacher and I can't imagine how anyone could hate him enough to do something like that.

Just a note to add that Yona 38 is apparently due out in May.

Daiya fandom

Spoiler
I enjoy reading a good fanfiction too but I also dislike when people try to justify their hate of Miyuki and Furuya using certain scenes from the manga and twisting them to fit how they feel. I've seen a lot of writers mentioning the scene where Miyuki had promised to catch for Eijun and instead went off with Furuya because  Miyuki wanted to check on Furuya's control because it was slipping.   No one seems to mention the fact that Miyuki later apologized to Eijun and caught for him after he finished with Furuya.

I got the latest volumes of Daiya manga to be released (act 2 29 and 30) and a handful of Horimiya volumes.
Vol 30 has Mei on the front and is the start of the current game so pretty close to up to date. I won't buy any more volumes until I know what happens in this game now.
Spoiler
3 innings to go I think...they're either at the bottom of the sixth or top of the seventh.

Spoiler
I feel like I might be missing a post or maybe it was in another thread but I think you mentioned you have some theories on how the game will turn out?  I have no idea what the score is right now or anything but I have a feeling that it will probably come down to the last inning and will either be Mei and Eijun facing each other or Eijun and Shirakawa.

I bought Yona 35 today. :D  I also bought Sailor Moon Eternal 6 and A Sign of Affection 1 and 2.  Did someone mention A Sign of Affection in this thread?  I thought I saw someone talking about it but I can't find the post.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #451 on: April 06, 2022, 02:00:39 PM »
Oh boy. *facepalm*  That scene.
And the biggest thing that got me is that
Spoiler
there is essentially that worse scene where Koushuu refuses to catch for Eijun in front of everyone - which is refusing a senpai, which is rude - but you won't see any of the same people criticising that.

They live in their own world which is a selective reading of the manga. And honestly, I wouldn't mind that if they were not actively hostile and downright spiteful to fans of other characters. Furuya fans tend to get it worst. And bad translations of scenes don't help. There was a literal uprising in the fandom when CR subtitled one of Furuya's lines as 'you can still compete with me' even though the line is categorically and unquestionably 'we can still compete with each other'. 

I genuinely can't stand the Eijun portion of the fandom because so many of them subscribe to this nonsense that everyone is always picking on Eijun, which is fundamentally ridiculous, and ignores all the times Eijun is griping about other players/flat out rude/genuinely thoughtless. There was a very recent example of this in a scene you won't have read, so I won't go into details, but it was very frustrating...and of cours all the Eijun fans were like, aww, poor Eijun...when he was the cause of the problem.

So I am still reading the Horimiya manga. I love it so much more than the anime, even though some of the scenes in the anime are great. There's so much missing and some of it is truly awesome. I still don't want him to
Spoiler
cut his hair though. That will take further time to adjust to xD.

I've also read properly to the end of Yona 34. I have the broad strokes of what happens in 35, I remembered it when I got to the end of 34. But now I've read the full flashback properly.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 05:20:08 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #452 on: April 15, 2022, 12:11:46 AM »
I'm re-reading Sailor Moon right now :) or actually, I'm past the point where I stopped reading it earlier. I adore the art, it's so inspiring.

I should read book 3 of A Sign Of Affection, but it's SUCH a fuzzy feeling read, I don't want to read it too fast ;A;

Annnd on TBHK - 4 days left until next chapter. can. not. wait!!!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 16, 2022, 07:56:05 PM »
Oh boy. *facepalm*  That scene.
And the biggest thing that got me is that
Spoiler
there is essentially that worse scene where Koushuu refuses to catch for Eijun in front of everyone - which is refusing a senpai, which is rude - but you won't see any of the same people criticising that.

They live in their own world which is a selective reading of the manga. And honestly, I wouldn't mind that if they were not actively hostile and downright spiteful to fans of other characters. Furuya fans tend to get it worst. And bad translations of scenes don't help. There was a literal uprising in the fandom when CR subtitled one of Furuya's lines as 'you can still compete with me' even though the line is categorically and unquestionably 'we can still compete with each other'. 

I genuinely can't stand the Eijun portion of the fandom because so many of them subscribe to this nonsense that everyone is always picking on Eijun, which is fundamentally ridiculous, and ignores all the times Eijun is griping about other players/flat out rude/genuinely thoughtless. There was a very recent example of this in a scene you won't have read, so I won't go into details, but it was very frustrating...and of cours all the Eijun fans were like, aww, poor Eijun...when he was the cause of the problem.

So I am still reading the Horimiya manga. I love it so much more than the anime, even though some of the scenes in the anime are great. There's so much missing and some of it is truly awesome. I still don't want him to
Spoiler
cut his hair though. That will take further time to adjust to xD.

I've also read properly to the end of Yona 34. I have the broad strokes of what happens in 35, I remembered it when I got to the end of 34. But now I've read the full flashback properly.

Daiya

Spoiler
I love Eijun but I agree that he often makes situations worse or gets himself in deeper trouble due to being thoughtless or rude.

Another theory that I don't like is when people imply that Furuya and Eijun are willing to see the other one hurt if it means they will get the ace number.  They're rivals, but also friends. 

I'm hoping I get a chance to read Yona 35 soon.  There's a lot of details in the flashback that I want to discuss with you. :)

I got Haikyuu 6 last weekend and picked up Komi Can't Communicate 18 yesterday.

I'm re-reading Sailor Moon right now :) or actually, I'm past the point where I stopped reading it earlier. I adore the art, it's so inspiring.

I should read book 3 of A Sign Of Affection, but it's SUCH a fuzzy feeling read, I don't want to read it too fast ;A;

Annnd on TBHK - 4 days left until next chapter. can. not. wait!!!

I think I stopped reading Sailor Moon after the Dream arc.  I'm looking forward to reading the Eternal edition and the short stories that were taken out of the original volumes by Kodasha (In the Eternal edition they've been restored to their original places) .   A few episodes of the 90's anime and one of the movies were based on the short stories.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 17, 2022, 02:11:58 PM »
Yes, we need to discuss the flashback. Definitely. O.o.

I am going to try and read 35 soon. I may stop at that point as the translation is now almost caught up and that way we can discuss things as we come to them a bit more, rather than me trying to remember something I read months back (because my brain is getting old now, LOL).

I've been reading the Horimiya manga still. I just finished vol 8. I am really stunned at how. much. is missing from the anime. For example...
Spoiler
The class trip
Yuki thinking Miyamura is Hori's cousin
The sports festival
Miyamura talking out his feelings with Shindou
Miyamura and Sengoku trying to get out of swimming
A lot of just small interactions between characters.

Even the OVA releases have more manga content than the anime. Though the anime has some great scenes in it, it's really hard to work out why certain things were left out and others not. But I did feel like the anime was rushed and they tried to fit in too many characters. In the manga, though, those characters are fleshed out well enough to make them all relevant.

So yeah, it's a really cute manga.  I'm glad I took the jump to start reading it, because I feel like, as cute as it is, the anime just doesn't do it justice.

This week was a break for Daiya's manga. But from the preview of last week's chapter it seems likely that
Spoiler
Eijun is about to hit the mound.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 19, 2022, 09:28:54 AM »
Taffeta, you've got me interested in  Horimiya now.  I looked for volume 1 at a couple of places but it looks like the English version is out of print right now in the US.  :(

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 19, 2022, 01:31:36 PM »
That sucks :( I guess vol 1 was quite a long time ago. :'/

I've read vol 35 of Yona. Although I'd skimmed it there were some things I'd missed.

Spoiler
Like now I understand who Meinyan is. And it seems that her name only coincidentally sounds like a weird cat joke. Given the guy from Shin (? I think) who calls everyone someone -nyan in the Japanese version, I did wonder for a while.

Am also reading vol 9 of Horimiya, now I have the other ones to read as well.

I think the beauty in it is how often it makes humour out of little things that are normal parts of life.

And how easily people's perceptions of someone else can be changed by a chance meeting.

And my predictions for this Daiya chapter were right. So now I have an *idea* how things might continue. We'll see.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 01:34:13 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 23, 2022, 03:56:00 PM »
I checked another place for  Horimiya and it looked like they had every volume except the 1st one.:(  I'll keep looking though. 

I haven't had a chance to read Yona 35 yet but hopefully I will soon. 

I've been looking at Toilet Bound Hanako Kun but I'm not sure if it will be interesting to me.  I know there's an anime.  I'll probably watch a couple of episodes of it first before I decide if I want the manga.

And my predictions for this Daiya chapter were right. So now I have an *idea* how things might continue. We'll see.

I have few ideas too although they're based only on what I think might happen due to the way things played out the last time these two teams played against each other. 

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 03:58:12 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 04, 2022, 01:33:49 PM »
Half debating whether to begin reading Yuukoku no Moriarty. Although I am not sure I have space for more volumes. The anime is fun, even if I want to poke at the history a bit.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mareacooda

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 07, 2022, 01:42:46 PM »
I just got finish read early today latest  and fresh chapter Eleceed on  it own website which more chapters that on webtoon... I already wait next chapter to release.... Love this series.....Anyone who like cats and super power human beings might like this series... Good laughs, meaty storyline, action and great artwork...

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 08, 2022, 07:22:47 PM »
I still need to read Yona 35.  36 will be released in early June in the US.
 Hopefully my life will settle down soon and I'll have time to read.

I bought Sailor Moon Eternal 7 and A Sign of Affection 3 yesterday.   

I also had a chance to see the first volume of smaller size Sailor Moon Eternal edition (Now called the Naoko Takeuchi collection) The NT editions are about the same size as the original Kodansha realizes but at least twice as thick.  It looked like the same about of chapters are in included in the NT editions as the Eternal version.  Most disappointing to me was the fact that the color pages that were restored for Eternal are gone again. :(  Why make such a big deal out of restoring them in one release if the publisher is just going to take them away in the next? 

Ponyfan

« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 12:06:11 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 09, 2022, 01:04:25 AM »
I had an email this morning from my Mum's friend and former English student in Japan, who helped me out a lot when I was over there doing fieldwork. He apparently found a volume of manga relating to my study and is sending it to me. So I guess I'll be reading that at some point :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 09, 2022, 12:08:17 PM »
I had an email this morning from my Mum's friend and former English student in Japan, who helped me out a lot when I was over there doing fieldwork. He apparently found a volume of manga relating to my study and is sending it to me. So I guess I'll be reading that at some point :)

That sounds like a really interesting manga. :)

I checked the first volume of Haikyuu and the first episode of the anime covers the first chapter in the manga.  When I get ready to start reading I might read a couple of pages of Chapter 1 and see if it's more interesting than the anime.  If not, I will skip to Chapter 2.

Ponyfan

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 11, 2022, 03:53:18 AM »
I also had a chance to see the first volume of smaller size Sailor Moon Eternal edition (Now called the Naoko Takeuchi collection) The NT editions are about the same size as the original Kodansha realizes but at least twice as thick.  It looked like the same about of chapters are in included in the NT editions as the Eternal version.  Most disappointing to me was the fact that the color pages that were restored for Eternal are gone again. :(  Why make such a big deal out of restoring them in one release if the publisher is just going to take them away in the next? 

Ponyfan

Oh what!! I was excited when I started reading your post since the one thing giving me pause about buying the Eternal editions has been the size (I LOVE the bigger size but they would take up more space), so the thought of that edition in a smaller size was nice... but no colour pages?!? Surely those are one of the main draws of the Eternal edition? Gah.

Offline Mareacooda

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 13, 2022, 06:38:19 PM »
I still need to read Yona 35.  36 will be released in early June in the US.
 Hopefully my life will settle down soon and I'll have time to read.

Ponyfan

I soooo behind Yona that I may need re read as refresher... 
Sooo many mangas/ novels to read just enough hours in day :b

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal