collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 90716 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #405 on: November 13, 2021, 07:46:16 PM »
My copies of Sailor Moon Eternal 2 and 3 and A Silent Voice 5 came today. 

Yona: 

Spoiler
I've never trusted  Keishuk from the start and at the point I'm at now I have no idea what he is up to.  I think he must have ulterior motives for wanting Yona and the dragons back at the castle (then immediately separating all of them and Hak from each other) and forcing the dragons to compete in the tournament.

That whole scene where  Keishuk has Jaeha and Zeno shot down makes me uneasy.

I'm still conflicted about Suwon.  Sometimes I want to hate him but then he does something that I don't expect and even though I don't like a lot of the things he's done so far I realize he's not a completely evil person and has some good qualities.   

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 07:48:31 PM by Ponyfan »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #406 on: November 14, 2021, 01:09:28 AM »
To be honest, with Suwon,
Spoiler
right now I think I feel sorry for him more than anything.
I don't like that he killed Il, but I also feel that he's a very sad character overall.

That said, I don't know whether the idea that he's a better king for Kouka is necessarily true.

Thinking on it, Suwon's actions have brought about a lot of conflict, and a lot of death and unrest on the borders. It's indirectly led to a lot of the bad situations Yona has had to get involved in and without her and her companions, there would've been much more bloodshed. It just feels like Suwon's way of managing Kouka would be a lot more disastrous if not for Yona and company as the makeweight.

Keishuk is just...I guess he's not a people person...but I've never really trusted him and still don't.

Also.

Spoiler
The cliffhanger for 36 is worse than the one for 35 was *cries*. I admit I've still only skimmed vols 33-36 but I always look at the ending first...

I also got the missing volume of Daiya (Act II 27) that I somehow overlooked the other day.

I should be reading the new chapters but I'm scared to.

I still have a couple of volumes of Mashiro no Oto lying around here that I need to read as well.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 01:16:02 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 22, 2021, 09:05:20 AM »
I'm hoping to get a chance to read 32 soon.

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 26, 2021, 10:58:04 AM »
I was planning on reading 32 this week but then I realized that 33 will be out in the US soon, so I think I'll just read them together.  Then we can talk about both of them. :D

Yona

Spoiler

I agree with you about Suwon's way of ruling Kouka.  I know Il wasn't a perfect king and there were a lot of problems during his reign outside the palace but there have been a lot of bad things happen since Suwon took the throne. 

What you said about Suwon being a sad character reminds me of the scene during the Nadia arc where Suwon spent all that time with Yona etc.. and Jaeha, Kija and Sinha didn't know who he really was for most of that time.  I'm not sure what they were expecting but there's that conversation between Jaeha and Sinha (I can't remember if Kija's involved in it too) where they're discussing Suwon and how he wasn't what they expected him to be.   

It always makes me sad when Suwon says that he wanted Yona and Hak by his side forever. I don't think he regrets killing Il but I wonder sometimes if Suwon regrets the consequences (severing his bond with Yona and Hak) that decision caused.

I still need to catch up on Takane and Hana too. 

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 02:07:14 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 26, 2021, 01:01:49 PM »
I have read 32 and half of 33 so far. Skimmed the others but will read them properly. I've got 37 on preorder too. Amazon thinks it's going to deliver to me on the 23-25th December. I suspect that won't be the case :P Maybe the 23rd. Probably NOT the 25th xD.

Spoiler
Most people seem to talk about Suwon as a good King, and in some ways he is, but...if you really look at it, there'd have been a lot more problems if not for Yona and company being involved.

The cover of 32 kind of emphasises Suwon as a sad figure.

I don't think he wants either Yona or Hak dead tbh.

I think Kija(?) did say something about Suwon and Yona resembling one another.

The thing that still worries me the most however is the prophesy and what it means for the dragons in the long run.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 07, 2021, 12:43:43 PM »
Yona

Spoiler
I don't think Suwon wants them dead either.  He had quite a few chances to get rid of both of them

I wonder sometimes if the story might have gone differently if Keishuk hadn't walked in on Yona and Suwon after Suwon killed Il and realized that Yona had seen everything. 

I picked up Yona 33 today along with Takane and Hana 18 (the last volume in that series) and Haikyuu 1 and 2.  :) I'm only buying the first 2 volumes of Haikyuu for now until I watch the anime or read 1 and 2 to see if I want to continue the series.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 07, 2021, 04:00:04 PM »
I sneak peeked at the latest chapter of Daiya today. This game is going to go on a while. It's still only the 4th inning.

@Ponyfan I've read up to a point in Yona 33. The rest is on my to do list. When you read them you'll realise what that point is and why I stopped there.

I really dislike the first episode of Haikyuu. I actually gave up on watching it a couple of times because of that, but there are a lot of Haikyuu fans in the Daiya fanbase and they said it gets better as it goes on. I liked it from ep 2. So yeah, I don't know if manga vol 1 is much better than ep 1, but even if you're not sure, don't let the start put you off. It's a lot less heart destroying than Daiya but it's a good sports series with some decent characters imo.

That said I still need to finish the anime as far as it currently is.

Chihayafuru is another one you might want to check out, albeit it might eat your soul. Again, I've watched and not read, but there's a scene in Daiya where Eijun is reading Chihayafuru xD. And a drama where Jun has it in his bag as well :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 14, 2021, 03:39:17 PM »
I sneak peeked at the latest chapter of Daiya today. This game is going to go on a while. It's still only the 4th inning.

@Ponyfan I've read up to a point in Yona 33. The rest is on my to do list. When you read them you'll realise what that point is and why I stopped there.

I really dislike the first episode of Haikyuu. I actually gave up on watching it a couple of times because of that, but there are a lot of Haikyuu fans in the Daiya fanbase and they said it gets better as it goes on. I liked it from ep 2. So yeah, I don't know if manga vol 1 is much better than ep 1, but even if you're not sure, don't let the start put you off. It's a lot less heart destroying than Daiya but it's a good sports series with some decent characters imo.

That said I still need to finish the anime as far as it currently is.

Chihayafuru is another one you might want to check out, albeit it might eat your soul. Again, I've watched and not read, but there's a scene in Daiya where Eijun is reading Chihayafuru xD. And a drama where Jun has it in his bag as well :)

Daiya:

Wow. I thought the game would be over by now.  That explains why one of the fanfic writers that I follow hasn't posted in a while. Their last update basically said "see you after the final."

Yona:

I won't ask you for details but now I'm a little nervous to read 33.

Even if I don't like the Haikyuu manga I'll probably still give the anime a try.  I see the characters from that come up a lot in Daiya fanfictions. 

I bought A Silent Voice 6 and 7, A Man and His Cat 4 and Komi Can't Communicate 16 today.  I'm hoping to have some time soon to sit down and read manga. 

I looked for Chihayafuru at the bookstore today but didn't see it.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 14, 2021, 03:46:35 PM »
I'll put you at your ease a little on Yona 33, I stopped because it's the start of a flashback and I want to read it all together. :) Although I got distracted by Christmas, my audiobook and some other stuff so haven't yet.

I think one reason Haikyuu characters flit into Daiya is because of the name Sawamura. The Karasuno team Captain is Sawamura Daichi, and of course people like to write him as related to Eijun...or something like that?

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 15, 2021, 10:15:00 AM »
That makes me feel better about 33. :)  I was worried that you might have stopped reading there because something terrible happened to the characters. 

I've seen a lot of fanfics where Eijun and Daichi are cousins.  Although there is one that I'm currently reading where the two of them meet but aren't related and everyone on Daichi's team keeps asking "Are you sure you two aren't cousins or something?"  :lol:

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 10:19:36 AM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 15, 2021, 10:55:43 AM »
No, the flashback just runs into 34.

...The end of 36 I am more concerned about but that's another matter. I don't have 37 yet...it's out at the start of next week.

Honestly, given that Haikyuu is younger than Daiya, I feel like the Sawamura name is a nod of respect from one manga writer to another.

I like the Haikyuu characters and such, but after Daiya it's very gentle as a rule :)

I'm not really into crossovers, though I know they're very popular. I guess it makes sense with sports stuff. I've seen some artists I know draw crossovers, eg Miyuki in volleyball gear, which is kind of interesting. But otherwise, yeah. Still, at least these two are in the same ballpark in terms of genre. Unlike the Daiya Harry Potter crossovers which...I am still scratching my head over, honestly. I don't think Eijun needs to learn to be a wizard, but that's just me...

(Massively now off topic).

Chihayafuru is also very strong on character, plot twist, etc. It's a bit different in the sense it focuses on a card game made from ancient Japanese poems, called Karuta. But it's pretty well written. Also occasionally emotionally destructive, but that's by the by.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 16, 2021, 12:15:03 AM »
I am so out of the manga loop, its sad.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 21, 2021, 07:31:36 PM »
I finally read Yona 32. I have a lot to say about the events in it.  I'm hoping to get a chance to read 33 soon too.

Ponyfan

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 23, 2021, 12:49:00 PM »
Doctor Who Reveltion of the Darleks

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 24, 2021, 08:45:59 AM »
@Ponyfan, yes, I thought you might. o.O.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal