collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What manga are you reading?  (Read 90653 times)

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
Re: What manga are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 12:52:06 AM »
Noragami but its on hiatus. I really hope it gets finished.
Bungo stray dogs
Kamisama kiss. I think the last volume was released recently.

Normally I read them off mangahere but some are so badly translated..I don't get what's happening. I don't have room for actual books.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:55:04 AM by tikibirds »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 08:37:31 PM »
Official translations at least are less likely to insert gratuitous swearwords though I admit I still haven't forgiven the official translation of one of my pet manga series turning an onmyouji into a 'sorcerer' and the name Sefuru into "Sefle". So glad that the anime version never got dubbed, that's all I'm going to say.
Sefuru sounds so much better than Sefle. Sometimes translators make the strangest decisions when it comes to names. Maybe there's a reason for it and I shouldn't complain, but I've been confused by a few before, as well (mostly in anime). In Gundam SEED, for instance, a character's name is given as Tolle, but my sister and I are pretty sure it should have just been transliterated as Tohru. Most of the characters in that series have pretty hilarious made-up non-Japanese names, though (Kuzzy Buskirk, Dearka, and Yzak come to mind), so the translators probably were just following suit.

So I began watching the anime on youtube. And then one ep was in English and it sounded horrible after so many in Japanese. And the manga in English used Chinese names for things where the anime used the Japanese pronunciation, and it was confusing. So then I decided to learn Japanese (as you do >.>).

Yuugi was a bit brutal in places, and now the anime is pretty old really. But I really still have a super soft spot for it. It depends on how you feel about characters you like dying.
That brings back memories! The character I remember most from that series (besides the leads) was the one who said "no da" at the end of every sentence :lol: And I think he popped out of a hat. He was my favorite. I have strange favorites. XD

I finished Sailor Moon Volume 5 today and am looking at Honey So Sweet for my next manga series.
Yes, yes! Read it! It's so good!

I'm currently reading Volume 1 of Cardcaptor Sakura :) Right before that it was Kill La Kill Volumes 2 and 3 :D

I was also watching the Sakura anime, but took a break to branch out to learn about a few more shows before I go to Japan  ^.^
Cool, so you're heading to Japan?

The Cardcaptor Sakura anime is one of my all-time favorites (in the original Japanese! one old English dub butchers the series; the other one is newer and I've never listened to it). My sister and I watched it in our "formative anime years" and are constantly quoting it. Zettai daijobu dayo! I should read the manga, too. I think my sister has volume 1 that I could steal.

Noragami but its on hiatus. I really hope it gets finished.
Bungo stray dogs
I loved Noragami and am in the middle of Bungo Stray Dogs. I like the mix of humor and action.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 11:20:36 AM »
That brings back memories! The character I remember most from that series (besides the leads) was the one who said "no da" at the end of every sentence :lol: And I think he popped out of a hat. He was my favorite. I have strange favorites. XD
Chichiri :D He became my favourite ultimately, too. I still have so much love for Yuugi, its so nostalgic <3

I don't know about Gundam; I tend to think anime should be banned from attempting to use westernised made up names because they end up being written in katakana and that means trying to work out what they SHOULD say as opposed to what they DO say is impossible. Kyou Kara Maou is the ultimate example of this, with some really odd Germanic names that get totally torn up in Japanese script.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 12:41:15 PM »
I'm still reading The Ancient Magus' Bride. I am loving it so far and so I'm  taking my sweet time reading it. :lovey:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 09:10:12 AM »
I'm still looking at Honey So Sweet. I was going to buy volume 1 the other day but the bookstore didn't have volume 2 in stock and I wanted to buy both at the same time.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 10:52:09 PM »
Chichiri :D He became my favourite ultimately, too. I still have so much love for Yuugi, its so nostalgic <3

I loved Tauske, chichiri and the emperor. And the crossdressing guy too.

I kinda want to buy the royal tutor since I saw the anime on crunchyroll.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »
The bookstore finally got Honey So Sweet volume 2 in so I bought volume 1 and 2 today.

Ponyfan

Offline terabithianprince

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • The last pages are for you
    • View Profile
    • Pony Pals
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 10:45:20 PM »
I'm rereading Gravitation Volumes 1-4 and I just started reading Attack on Titan and Fairy Tail.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 03:54:12 PM »
I haven't read Gravitation in years...

The only BL manga I read now is Sekaiichi Hatsukoi just because a friend got me watching the anime for that and Junjou and it was so funny I got hooked. THe manga is more hardcore but I like it anyway. I met Ritsu's Japanese voice artist this summer in London, which was very surreal but cool...

I miss reading Bleach manga but it really died a death at the end.

I wanted Haruka 5 manga but it kinda disappeared in favour of Haruka 6 manga :/ I would still recommend Harukanaru toki no naka de 1 (Haruka: Beyond the Stream of Time) manga because Yorihisa and Yasuaki are <3.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 01:08:50 AM »
Aw, man, Gravitation! That was one of two 'starter' yaoi titles that most people in my time got in on. The other was Sanami Matoh's FAKE, the one I got into XD I tried Gravitation, got the first two volumes but I honestly couldn't get into it because of the characters.

Junjou Romantica is a classic I simply haven't read, I probably should. I love World's Greatest First Love by the same manga-ka, weirdly

EDIT: Sorry Taffeta, didn't realise you were also talking about that title  ^^; I really got into that title since, well, I sympathised with the tight deadlines parts and nods towards manga publishing as at the time I was working in a comic shop soliciting online titles for the company website. I am waiting on Vol.7 but manga titles are suddenly having weird releases in the UK, it's damn annoying
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:12:34 AM by Lady Frostbite »

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 10:59:38 PM »
Im reading Detective Conan these days and Im having Biohazard (Heavenly Island) waiting. Well not only that series but also No 1 of Angel Sanctuary (trying to like it lol, we´ll see...) and Highschool of the Dead 1-4.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 04:38:22 PM »
Aw, man, Gravitation! That was one of two 'starter' yaoi titles that most people in my time got in on. The other was Sanami Matoh's FAKE, the one I got into XD I tried Gravitation, got the first two volumes but I honestly couldn't get into it because of the characters.

Junjou Romantica is a classic I simply haven't read, I probably should. I love World's Greatest First Love by the same manga-ka, weirdly

EDIT: Sorry Taffeta, didn't realise you were also talking about that title  ^^; I really got into that title since, well, I sympathised with the tight deadlines parts and nods towards manga publishing as at the time I was working in a comic shop soliciting online titles for the company website. I am waiting on Vol.7 but manga titles are suddenly having weird releases in the UK, it's damn annoying

xD It's my bad for using the Japanese name, probably. For some reason I've never read the Junjou manga. I watched the anime, but I've only read the Sekaiichi manga. I love the anime for both though I think the start of Junjou kind of waves a big flag in your face THIS IS YAOI! The problem with Sekaiichi is that half of it is in manga and half of it is in novel form as far as I can tell. Manga is just Ritsu and Shouta's stories and the others- Chiaki and Yokozawa's stories are novels. I've got some of the latter but none of Chiaki and Hattori's storyline :/

I didn't realise there was an issue with the translated volumes coming out. I can't remember if the last one I read was 10 or 11...? Which means there is still a bunch to come out in English and no excuse for no translations O.o.

I like Sekaiichi better except that I adore Hiroki in Junjou Egoist and his book-throwing wall-headbutting general incompetence at anything that isn't academia.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2017, 12:23:44 PM »
I tried QQ Sweeper over vacation, but I'm not warming up to it, which is a disappointment. It's by the author of my favorite manga (Dengeki Daisy), so I really wanted to like it. It's about a guy who cleans up monsters/spirits (not sure which as the manga hasn't specified quite what they are); he meets the protagonist girl and, much to his surprise, he finds she can see the "door" to the "otherworld," unlike normal humans. (rough summary, but that's the gist of it) It's slow but could get more interesting; I'm only mostly through volume 1.

The bookstore finally got Honey So Sweet volume 2 in so I bought volume 1 and 2 today.

Ponyfan
Awesome! I hope you liked it :) I feel like it strikes a good balance between sweet and realistic, and the artwork is lovely.

Im reading Detective Conan these days . . .
I've never read the Detective Conan manga, but my sister has; I have watched pretty much every Detective Conan anime episode Westerners can get their hands on. It's my sister's favorite series and so we often get her foreign DVDs of the series as gifts. There are so crazy many!  Close to 800 episodes at this point, I think. I want Conan to finally get big again and end up with Ran and to finally find out who the Black Org boss is! It's been, like, 20 years, lol . . .

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »

Ponyfan

Ponyfan
Awesome! I hope you liked it :) I feel like it strikes a good balance between sweet and realistic, and the artwork is lovely.

I did. :) I will definitely be picking up more volumes of Honey So Sweet.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2017, 10:11:06 AM »

Im reading Detective Conan these days . . .
I've never read the Detective Conan manga, but my sister has; I have watched pretty much every Detective Conan anime episode Westerners can get their hands on. It's my sister's favorite series and so we often get her foreign DVDs of the series as gifts. There are so crazy many!  Close to 800 episodes at this point, I think. I want Conan to finally get big again and end up with Ran and to finally find out who the Black Org boss is! It's been, like, 20 years, lol . . .

Lol I tend to ask myself WHY am I still reading / watching this as every episode / story comes out the same or pretty much like the 799 we watched before... but then its still kinda funny how the mysterys get solved, so I still read and watch it :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal