collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thoughts on a replica Adventure Card set??  (Read 4739 times)

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on a replica Adventure Card set??
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 02:05:42 AM »
You know how we sometimes say *grabby hands* or *sneaks in and takes ....*?  Well that was not me  :P  I was finally blessed by the pony gods and managed to score a set of replica cards, and well...I am pretty excited about the whole thing

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:frolic:  <-- if I was a rainbow colored pony with magical powers, this is what I would look like right now because of these beautiful cards

PS-I was serving as a guinea pig, but all so worth it  ^.^

They look amazing framed!!! What size frame is that? Something I'll definitely think about when I get my set. I was thinking of doing a custom designed folder, but they look awesome in that frame.. I'm so torn now!!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 06:50:39 AM »
I think the repros look fantastic so far! I wouldn't mind the watermark/new info being darker or larger if necessary.

Come to think of it I actually have never seen the game board or all the cards.
Did this ever have an original box?

The game board & die were only available as a mail order with Baby Blue Ribbon. The cards were only available as individually packaged bonus items with specially marked ponies for a limited time. That's why the set is super hard to complete & a full repro card set is so desirable. ;)

I have a strong feeling the game also came as a pull out in a UK pony comic or something of that nature as I am ninety percent sure I have it from childhood, but I don't remember if the cards ever happened as well or if they didn't :/ the pony certainly didn't. Very odd.

Back to the original issue - If people are happy buying replicas that is generally their decision. So long as those replicas are clearly marked as replicas in a way that can't be mistaken for the original or resold by a nefarious person as the original, it's then a free choice situation really. I would support making the replica print text darker so it stands out more even if someone put it as a blurry auction image. The idea of giving them extra borders to make them stand out is also good because I imagine most people who would want this want it to play the game. If they were serious about actual exact cards, they'd probably go after the originals, so minor differences to make them stand out might be good to consider...

I think I've seen Adventure Cards that are different than the US set which I assume would have been a UK set. From memory they were not full color... possibly only shades of blue ink? I really don't know anything about how they were distributed or how they may or may not match up the the US versions, but I'm sure I've seen pictures of them online over the years. :)

Maybe in the comic. Need to ask LadyG if she knows. In any case, it would make sense that something existed, but definitely not in packages.

Jrr74 they look great framed up like that.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 01:24:02 PM »
I think the repros look fantastic so far! I wouldn't mind the watermark/new info being darker or larger if necessary.

Come to think of it I actually have never seen the game board or all the cards.
Did this ever have an original box?

The game board & die were only available as a mail order with Baby Blue Ribbon. The cards were only available as individually packaged bonus items with specially marked ponies for a limited time. That's why the set is super hard to complete & a full repro card set is so desirable. ;)

I have a strong feeling the game also came as a pull out in a UK pony comic or something of that nature as I am ninety percent sure I have it from childhood, but I don't remember if the cards ever happened as well or if they didn't :/ the pony certainly didn't. Very odd.

Back to the original issue - If people are happy buying replicas that is generally their decision. So long as those replicas are clearly marked as replicas in a way that can't be mistaken for the original or resold by a nefarious person as the original, it's then a free choice situation really. I would support making the replica print text darker so it stands out more even if someone put it as a blurry auction image. The idea of giving them extra borders to make them stand out is also good because I imagine most people who would want this want it to play the game. If they were serious about actual exact cards, they'd probably go after the originals, so minor differences to make them stand out might be good to consider...

I think I've seen Adventure Cards that are different than the US set which I assume would have been a UK set. From memory they were not full color... possibly only shades of blue ink? I really don't know anything about how they were distributed or how they may or may not match up the the US versions, but I'm sure I've seen pictures of them online over the years. :)

Maybe in the comic. Need to ask LadyG if she knows. In any case, it would make sense that something existed, but definitely not in packages.

Jrr74 they look great framed up like that.

I have the set you're talking about. tbh I'm not totally sure where I got them but I'm thinking the UK Club. They are just blue and white. I'd coloured mine in and was working on removing the colour but seem to have been distracted :P They just came in a sheet that you had to cut up. The game board was paper as far as I remember.
This is most of them:

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:49:03 PM by Chrissytree »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2017, 01:29:12 PM »
Ohh. Hrm. I was imagining blue paper for some reason. I think I may have some of those somewhere. Thanks for posting, Chrissytree. Not quite as high quality as the US one, but still cute ;) (Did the game also come with the club here then?)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »
Do they have any instructions on the back?  The US Adventure Cards had stuff like "Move two space" or "Skip a turn", that kind of thing.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
Ohh. Hrm. I was imagining blue paper for some reason. I think I may have some of those somewhere. Thanks for posting, Chrissytree. Not quite as high quality as the US one, but still cute ;) (Did the game also come with the club here then?)

As far as I remember. Just a folded paper board, single sided? I don't think there was a dice.

And yes, there were directions on the back:

*edit to resize images.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:50:58 PM by Chrissytree »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »

As far as I remember. Just a folded paper board, single sided? I don't think there was a dice.

I think so. A big folded out sheet of paper. Has US ponies on it and Baby Blue Ribbon but absolutely no explanation of what it was meant to be. I remember it confused me as a kid and only when I learned who Baby Blue Ribbon was and what she was meant to be did I know how it made sense. Wouldn't surprise me if the UK cards had nothing on them, being that the game I don''t think had any actual instructions or information. It was almost sort of a poster O.o. I don't know if I have a picture of it in my files somewhere, but definitely an afterthought that was nothing like the US concept.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline jrr74

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »

They look amazing framed!!! What size frame is that? Something I'll definitely think about when I get my set. I was thinking of doing a custom designed folder, but they look awesome in that frame.. I'm so torn now!!

It is a 18 x 24 frame opening.  Perfect size for this card set.  I also ordered a post-it memo board from Target.  It has a tacky surface, just like the post-it notes, maybe a little more so.  Downside to board was when I reposition a card once in a while because I did not like how it laid, I was concerned about causing creases in them.  Didn't happen, but felt like I came close a couple of times
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:52:40 AM by jrr74 »
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2017, 02:30:56 AM »
Thank you for the info, jrr74!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
    • my collection catalog (IG)
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2017, 07:46:59 AM »
You know how we sometimes say *grabby hands* or *sneaks in and takes ....*?  Well that was not me  :P  I was finally blessed by the pony gods and managed to score a set of replica cards, and well...I am pretty excited about the whole thing

:frolic:  <-- if I was a rainbow colored pony with magical powers, this is what I would look like right now because of these beautiful cards

PS-I was serving as a guinea pig, but all so worth it  ^.^

I HAVE A MIGHTY NEED!  :dropjaw:
You can see my collection on InstaGram @ mylittELLEpony  :lovey:

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2017, 04:34:42 PM »
I didn't read through the whole thread so some of what I'm about to say might not be original....

You could address the concern of competing with the originals / misrepresented as originals by having something clearly printed small on them somewhere that says "replica" or something like that.

I think these would be fun for those who want to collect them for enjoyment, either as uncut sheets or cut into cards, and I especially think this would be waaay cool to have available for us to buy as games for small pony meets.  I'm in talks with another member here that I found who lives near me and I'd love to have some fun little original pony game for us to play, in replica so we don't have to worry about play damage, to offer as part of a small meet if we do find enough members to get together for one.

$52 for a 42 card set seems pretty cheap and isn't exactly making you a huge profit so hopefully you won't run into any copyright issues.  I think based on the eBay G4 traffic that Hasbro is happy enough letting small operators go under the radar so long as they don't ramp up a big enough operation to compete with Hasbro so hopefully you'll be fine.

Great idea and you've already put in a lot of work.  Sounds great!  Do it please!

Oh wait I just noticed:  this set is the answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything.  :frolic:

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2017, 07:33:44 PM »
Put me down for a set once you start taking orders. I have only a dozen or so original cards and they are so hard to find. I'd be happy with a replica set.

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2017, 02:37:08 PM »
That's the one where there was a giant poster printed on the back of the game board, right? I'd take a set, just for the poster! Aurora has one for her pony room, and it's awesome!

As for printing the huge thing, I would contact the guys over at Offworld Designs. They do custom work, can get you a quote, and memory says they have a giant printer for making wall scrolls, so could probably make the board.
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »
Oh, cool!  I'm all for replica stuff.  I have replica princess wands, crown clips, and adult sea pony shells!  Great for those of us that have to complete everything!  I'd probably buy a set, too!

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2017, 11:10:30 AM »
I apologize, apparently it's Legion Printing that I'm thinking of, not Offworld Designs. Pretty sure my sister has their business card; we're going to try finding it.

Edit: Found it!  http://legion-bhm.com
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:13:50 AM by Kazzellin »
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal