collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thoughts on a replica Adventure Card set??  (Read 4744 times)

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
Re: Thoughts on a replica Adventure Card set??
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 04:04:46 PM »
I personally think this is an awesome idea!

Just a few notes from someone who is savvy in photoshop:

I would maybe reconsider the watermark placement , and maybe have it go over some part of the image (I know it doesn't look as good). Only because I could see someone scanning a replica, erasing the mark in photoshop, and then reprinting. I hope no one would do that, but it is just much easier to erase on white, than to have it overlap some part of the image.

Or maybe the overlapping watermark could be on part of the rainbow on the back. I'm not sure if its really a big deal or not, but I wanted to mention it :)

Eh.
Anyone who is good in photoshop is able to get around water marks with ease. Something that was scanned, printed on inkjet, and rescanned is going to get ugly moire pattern -- which would more of a general deterrent. 

So I don't think a watermark should be put over the art, because if someone wanted to rescan and reprint they are going to do it anyway.

I guess you're right! I didn't think about the quality loss of being scanned multiple times  :P

Offline Freeindeed

• Trade Count: (+208)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Iris Tiger
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »
The cards look really good, ashlyne. Very close to the originals but with enough differences that you can tell they're reproductions.

Offline CrystalSnowflake

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 04:36:29 PM »
One thing I would like is to have the cards be a size that fits into the clear card sleeves you can get for other game cards.
And for the game board you could split it into panels rather than try to print it in one huge piece.

Come to think of it I actually have never seen the game board or all the cards.
Did this ever have an original box?
~*Ponies for Sale*~
Sales Link - http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397254.0.htmll
G4 - Mint Ponies with Accessories and Backcards, Production Sample, Funko Chase, Blind bag, and Buildings

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 08:27:10 PM »
I think the repros look fantastic so far! I wouldn't mind the watermark/new info being darker or larger if necessary.

The game board & die were only available as a mail order with Baby Blue Ribbon. The cards were only available as individually packaged bonus items with specially marked ponies for a limited time. That's why the set is super hard to complete & a full repro card set is so desirable. ;)

Offline CrystalSnowflake

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 10:28:26 PM »
I would love to see pictures of the set out on a table with a pony to get an idea of the set.
I only had one card and I don't know if I even still have it.
~*Ponies for Sale*~
Sales Link - http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397254.0.htmll
G4 - Mint Ponies with Accessories and Backcards, Production Sample, Funko Chase, Blind bag, and Buildings

Offline LNS

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Glitter Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • on pink wings ...
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 11:19:47 PM »
Honestly since it is noted upfront and there is something being put on the cards stating they are reproductions I don't see an issue with it. Very much all for it. :D I'd love to buy the reproduction cards if you do this.

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+122)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 11:51:40 PM »
Sign me up for a set :)

Offline tebrighteyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2017, 02:47:16 AM »
Already replied to your facebook post but love this idea!!  Hope you are able to make the dice too.   

Offline sweetbubbles

• Trade Count: (+83)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Moondancer Paradise
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2017, 04:30:43 AM »
want Want WANTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT  :biggrin:

love love love it , I allready have a lot of the originals but would so love a repro set  yayyyyy
:newpony: Sweetbubbles   :lovey:

My wantlist is here:
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=367105.new#new

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 08:45:42 AM »
I think the repros look fantastic so far! I wouldn't mind the watermark/new info being darker or larger if necessary.

The game board & die were only available as a mail order with Baby Blue Ribbon. The cards were only available as individually packaged bonus items with specially marked ponies for a limited time. That's why the set is super hard to complete & a full repro card set is so desirable. ;)

I have a strong feeling the game also came as a pull out in a UK pony comic or something of that nature as I am ninety percent sure I have it from childhood, but I don't remember if the cards ever happened as well or if they didn't :/ the pony certainly didn't. Very odd.

Back to the original issue - If people are happy buying replicas that is generally their decision. So long as those replicas are clearly marked as replicas in a way that can't be mistaken for the original or resold by a nefarious person as the original, it's then a free choice situation really. I would support making the replica print text darker so it stands out more even if someone put it as a blurry auction image. The idea of giving them extra borders to make them stand out is also good because I imagine most people who would want this want it to play the game. If they were serious about actual exact cards, they'd probably go after the originals, so minor differences to make them stand out might be good to consider...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2017, 10:08:10 AM »
I would 100% buy a set.  <3
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2017, 02:17:18 PM »

I have a strong feeling the game also came as a pull out in a UK pony comic or something of that nature as I am ninety percent sure I have it from childhood, but I don't remember if the cards ever happened as well or if they didn't :/ the pony certainly didn't. Very odd.

Back to the original issue - If people are happy buying replicas that is generally their decision. So long as those replicas are clearly marked as replicas in a way that can't be mistaken for the original or resold by a nefarious person as the original, it's then a free choice situation really. I would support making the replica print text darker so it stands out more even if someone put it as a blurry auction image. The idea of giving them extra borders to make them stand out is also good because I imagine most people who would want this want it to play the game. If they were serious about actual exact cards, they'd probably go after the originals, so minor differences to make them stand out might be good to consider...

I think I've seen Adventure Cards that are different than the US set which I assume would have been a UK set. From memory they were not full color... possibly only shades of blue ink? I really don't know anything about how they were distributed or how they may or may not match up the the US versions, but I'm sure I've seen pictures of them online over the years. :)

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 07:38:30 PM »
You know how we sometimes say *grabby hands* or *sneaks in and takes ....*?  Well that was not me  :P  I was finally blessed by the pony gods and managed to score a set of replica cards, and well...I am pretty excited about the whole thing

:frolic:  <-- if I was a rainbow colored pony with magical powers, this is what I would look like right now because of these beautiful cards

PS-I was serving as a guinea pig, but all so worth it  ^.^

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:40:41 PM by jrr74 »
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 09:58:17 PM »
So cool!  I only have two cards.  They came packaged with SS Angel as some kind of special promotion.  I believe there was also a brochure that advertised Baby Blue Ribbon as a mail order, but I lost the brochure as a child.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 11:22:18 PM »
I think this is a great idea :)

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal