collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thoughts on a replica Adventure Card set??  (Read 4643 times)

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Thoughts on a replica Adventure Card set??
« on: June 29, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »
EDIT:   Now taking orders!   
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=387501.msg1658378#msg1658378
 :party:

(Previous information)
For those of you who don’t know what Adventure Cards are, see here:
Spoiler
Baby Blue Ribbon and the Adventure Card board game (poster) were available through the mail order and points program.  The game could be played with or without special Adventure Cards, which gave commands like Go Ahead 2, or Miss a Turn.   These cards were only available in specially marked packages of ponies sold in stores, two per package.  Since there are a whopping 42 cards, and they were only available for a short time, they are difficult to find and even harder set to complete.

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/The_Adventures_in_Ponyland_Game#Adventure_Cards

I’d like to get your thoughts on making replica Adventure Cards.    Every now and then someone will ask me about doing them and I’ve held off for a few reasons:

- potentially dropping the current value of the originals
Spoiler
on one hand, good for those looking for originals still, but not so good for those trying to sell them and those that already spent $$ on theirs and don’t want to see their collection value drop

- accidently/purposefully being sold as originals in the secondhand market
Spoiler
I’ve added a small statement on both sides about them being Custom Replicas, to distinguish them from the originals, nothing that impedes the image or text, but still noticeable should anyone resell them. 

- finding good quality card paper and printer for the job, something that meets people’s expectations
Spoiler
I found paper that’s a close match to the original card stock, glossy on one side, matte on the other, and it’s compatible with my printer.  They’re not exactly the same, pixel-to-pixel, but close enough and actually cleaner, brighter, and more consistent than the original scans. Also, while the paper front is glossy, the ink is not, so unlike the originals, they would not be completely glossy across the whole surface.

- copyright issues with Hasbro
Spoiler
If I go through with this project, I wouldn’t sell on ebay, etsy or other public shopping site. Basically, if someone wants a set, they could contact me and spread word of the project to others looking.   I care more about getting a good product to fellow collectors and also not overstepping my bounds with Hasbro’s products than I do about making a quick buck ;) 

If there's enough interest and positive reaction to the idea, I'd consider making and selling these sets to other collectors.

As far as pricing goes, I’m thinking around $55* due to the work that’s already gone into cleaning up the scans, the paper and ink expense, and I also cut these by hand and there’s time involved in that process.   
Spoiler
*Probably would include free USA priority shipping with tracking, or $50 for untracked economy only if paypal GIFT payment is sent, with the understanding that I won’t be responsible for lost or damaged packages;  International shipping would be worked out on a per-person basis

At least initially, only orders of full sets of 42 will be made. 
Spoiler
Individual card requests will be much harder to do because they artwork is laid out in groups to fill up a sheet.  I would have to spend time in moving around the requested cards, and depending on how many are requested, they may not fill a full sheet. So pricing would vary on individual cards, but would be at least $2 a card just for the time involved, and maybe more depending on how many is ordered.   

I’m working on the gameboard and die as well, although the gameboard is huge. It was made to use full-sized ponies as the game pieces!   I’m researching different options for large-scale printing but haven’t found a good option yet.

Anyway, I’d like to get your thoughts on this project – ethical issues, pricing, interest.   If there are a lot of legitimate objections, I won’t pursue it. If you don’t feel comfortable publicly posting, feel free to PM me.   I’m just trying to gather information (not orders) at this point :)   Thanks!

Update 06/30/2017  ORIGINAL CARDS vs TEST CARDS: 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Similarities:
Same size

A close match in thickness of card stock

Glossy on the front, matte on the back 

Original scanned artwork of rainbow and pony

A close match to the blue and purple colors used on the back

A close match to the font used

Differences:
Card stock is a brighter white

Copyright information removed and replaced with “2017 Custom Replica Adventure Cards” on both sides, to avoid mistaking them as originals.  Probably going to make this text a smidgen larger and bolder than what appears here. 

Glossy side is slightly different type of glossy;  ink is matte, so where the rainbow, text and pony is printed, it is not glossy like the background 

Back side artwork is recreated so that the colors are more uniform; scans used as templates for accuracy

Rainbow artwork on front is the same rainbow in the same place on every card (something that is not uniform on the originals)

Pony artwork may be bumped up or down a bit so that it doesn’t come so close to the edge of the card

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:00:10 AM by ashlyne »

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on a replica Adventure Card set??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 11:46:11 AM »
10/10 would buy this from you.  :)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 12:55:54 PM »
That sounds so cool!  Especially, if you get the board figured out.  Was the dice paper/cardboard also?

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 01:01:34 PM »
I think it's a great idea!

Imma be blunt:  I don't care one whit if originals (of MLPs or cards or anything else) is "devalued."  I think it's great when more people can afford replicas and complete their collection. People who want a guaranteed return on an investment should go for government bonds, not collect toys, lol.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 01:20:15 PM »
That sounds so cool!  Especially, if you get the board figured out.  Was the dice paper/cardboard also?

Yes, and I could replicate that as well. Although I much prefer a hard die.  The paper ones get roughed up fast!

I think it's a great idea!

Imma be blunt:  I don't care one whit if originals (of MLPs or cards or anything else) is "devalued."  I think it's great when more people can afford replicas and complete their collection. People who want a guaranteed return on an investment should go for government bonds, not collect toys, lol.

I agree with that, anyone that's collecting ponies or most modern toys because they think they'll get rich on it is taking a huge gamble. Collecting is not a sound investment!  Too many variables.  But there are special cases where you need to liquidate a collection (severe illness, to save a pet, loss of job, new baby).   I can understand that in those cases, it would be important to get back something close to what you put in.    But I think there will always be people (like me) that will seek out the originals over replicas, whether it's flutter wings, seashells, princess accessories or adventure cards.  So they may still hold value.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 03:11:54 PM »
Simple answer:  DO IT! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Freeindeed

• Trade Count: (+208)
    • View Profile
    • Iris Tiger
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 04:02:30 PM »
That would be awesome if you made some reproduction sets available! As long as they say somewhere on them that they are not original, I don't see the problem... and I would imagine there will probably still be a market for the originals, because some people don't like having anything other than original items in their collection. I mean, look at the reproduction Sea Pony shells-- the original ones have still held their value fairly well. 

Besides, like LadyMoondancer said, people shouldn't be collecting toys as an investment. Thinking about value is important, but as long as you don't mass produce them, and as long as you make sure they clearly say they aren't original, I don't think it would affect things too much.

Also, the giant pony game board sounds awesome! I didn't realize it was so big. I do have Baby Blue Ribbon in my collection, but no accessories for her... I've never seen the whole set in person before, I bet it's awesome. :)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 04:08:11 PM »
I have no problem with replica *anything*, personally, as long as it's very clear that it's not the real deal :) Sounds like you've got that covered. I'd go for it :)

I don't think it'd devalue the actual cards. I don't collect the Adventure Cards personally, but if I did I would probably want the originals no matter how cheap (etc) the repros were; I'm sure I'm not the only one :).

Offline CrystalSnowflake

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 08:23:20 PM »
I actually like things like this. To me it's a form of preserving the past.
I wouldn't even mind if the cards had some custom border that made them larger and distinct from the originals.
I would be after the art and the game not that it is a perfect duplicate of the original.
~*Ponies for Sale*~
Sales Link - http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397254.0.htmll
G4 - Mint Ponies with Accessories and Backcards, Production Sample, Funko Chase, Blind bag, and Buildings

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 02:09:47 AM »
I love this idea. I'd totally be up for buying replicas. I've looked into buying adventure cards before, but always decided against it, because it's a lot of money for a set I'll likely never complete.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 01:20:36 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I'll take any concerns to heart for sure, but overall, I'm hearing a positive response. 

See original post for updated comparison pics and descriptions  (points up)  :)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 02:15:11 PM »
I wouldn't even mind if the cards had some custom border that made them larger and distinct from the originals.

Oooh, I like this idea :D.

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 02:37:18 PM »
I personally think this is an awesome idea!

Just a few notes from someone who is savvy in photoshop:

I would maybe reconsider the watermark placement , and maybe have it go over some part of the image (I know it doesn't look as good). Only because I could see someone scanning a replica, erasing the mark in photoshop, and then reprinting. I hope no one would do that, but it is just much easier to erase on white, than to have it overlap some part of the image.

Or maybe the overlapping watermark could be on part of the rainbow on the back. I'm not sure if its really a big deal or not, but I wanted to mention it :)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 02:56:52 PM »
I personally think this is an awesome idea!

Just a few notes from someone who is savvy in photoshop:

I would maybe reconsider the watermark placement , and maybe have it go over some part of the image (I know it doesn't look as good). Only because I could see someone scanning a replica, erasing the mark in photoshop, and then reprinting. I hope no one would do that, but it is just much easier to erase on white, than to have it overlap some part of the image.

Or maybe the overlapping watermark could be on part of the rainbow on the back. I'm not sure if its really a big deal or not, but I wanted to mention it :)

Eh.
Anyone who is good in photoshop is able to get around water marks with ease. Something that was scanned, printed on inkjet, and rescanned is going to get ugly moire pattern -- which would more of a general deterrent. 

So I don't think a watermark should be put over the art, because if someone wanted to rescan and reprint they are going to do it anyway.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:59:55 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »
I'll repeat what I told you at the 2015 Fair after you completed your set. I don't care if you print them on regular computer paper. I just want a set so I can play the game!

sailorstitch

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal