collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: new MLP movie trailer up  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
new MLP movie trailer up
« on: June 29, 2017, 11:08:22 AM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4131800/?ref_=nv_sr_1
click on play to watch
looks pretty awesome !
couldn't see it posted any where else
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:21:00 AM by Aflame »

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: new MLP movie trailer up
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 02:06:20 PM »
Thank you for posting this!
I didn't see it anywhere yet either. It brings in more of the plot I think, and I really like the animated effects. The Sonic Rainboom looks especially good here. The colors are good, lighting seems nice, there's clearly more quality/effort/upgrades apparent all around the backgrounds and effects and things.

But, with this 'movie style' or whatever on the animation...
Does anyone else feel the eyes are even CLOSER together? Especially on the mane 6? It seems (from this watching of the trailer, maybe whole move and I'd change mind or not) like they're trying more & more to make the ponies heads into emoji smily faces. Just 2 GIAGANTIC eyes and a little human mouth. Their eyes are supposed to be on the sides of their head, but like...they're not even trying any more?

I hope they'll have a good plot-back-up as to WHY nobody knew about any of the stuff in the movie.
The mermares, the techno-steampunk stuff the badguys have, all that. It's kind of a big deal, so they can't just say "it was in yakyakistan and they never leave so nobody knew"

Avoidance:
They also NEED something REALLY GOOD excuse as to why Celestia & Luna can't do anything. If some weird unicorn shows up demanding surrender, you got to know Celestia will be right in her face saying NO.

Very Difficult Balance:
Writers have to step up to the Very Difficult Balance to avoid pitfalls #3:

1. Mane 6 & friends have to be the star of the show & shine (fine)
2. Villain has to do bad to make Mane 6 act/adventure/save world/rescue/etc (fine)
3. How to GRACEFULLY & Sense-making-ly get Luna & Celestia to either support the mane 6 or 'not be there to stomp/stop the villain in 1 stroke'. If you fail at that you get:

Punching Bag Princess = Beating up Worf*:
Stomping on Celesita is the best way to show "OC" is super powerful! You DONT want "Everyone can pound the sun queen into the ground! It happens every day.......gosh she's a joke. Maybe raising the sun is all she's good for and she's so weak and feeble otherwise that her title is really...not much of anything." Chrysalis got her, Sombra got her, Tirek got her, Discord almost got her, NMM also almost got her. Even Starlight Glimmer got the drop on her, switching the cuitemarks. So then why is she this great thing everyone respects/100s of years old if every heel coming down the pike has her beat? She can't be "mega power ruler wisdom" AND "every villains first hurdle".

*Trekkie fans? Beating up Worf is a 'trope' where (you can go to TVTropes) to show whatever threat was "real" they'd beat up "the toughest character on the Enterprise"...........but then it kept happening and Worf lose his 'cred'.

There's lots of ways to nullify the pitfall with explanations, some PLAUSIBLE plot device, or even ways to work the plot to avoid PBPs. Everyone here can probably think of something that makes sense. It's just a concern of mine for the movie because I'm a big Celestia/Luna fan. And now this simple trailer post has went on.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »
Here's my thoughts so far.

I saw the new trailer last night. I think the animation seemed a little off but it might have been because of the 3D backgrounds? I thought the storm king was saying "Friendship is Magic" in a mocking way instead of being friendly. The storm king seems like he has the same basic design as G4 Tirek. It would have been nice to see more of Tempest but I don't understand how the hedgehog or cat fits in or how going to the seaponies/merponies and the Mane 6 changing in to seaponies/merponies will help save Equestria. Is Equestria flooded? I did Party Favor's cameo.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 12:14:25 AM »
I guess the trailer didn't show too much new stuff , but it was fun to hear the new characters' voices!
I agree definitely that the 3D generated airship and the propeller thing the mane 6 were spinning around on look really out of place. Even when FiM has used 3D effects before (e.g. the Timbewolves or the Spin-a-tron), they at least tried to make it match the 2D style. The 3D in the trailer just looks weird...
But I am still interested in the movie :)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 12:42:54 PM »
Wingsodmasqurade,  your not the only one to fill that way about the animation.  I feel like they've made them even more cutesy than they were before.  If fim was like Puss n'boots normally, then the movies ponies look like Pussn boots when he's doing the big eyed cute face.  The eyes appear to be even bigger and how they've animated them gives them that wide eyed glassy look.

Btw, there is also general movie thread in the fim forum.  The last two pages or so are discussion of the trailer.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 06:39:20 PM »
I don't think I like it.  I hate when they add singers and pop icons into movies like this (SIA pony),
it's just weird for me.  Also, I felt like it was too glittery/sparkley, sunshine-happy-rainbows, etc.  I didn't like the way the ponies look.

Sorry to be very negative.

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
Thinking about my earlier comment about the ponies' glassy eyes in the movie....guess that explains those FS ponies/seaponies with the glass eyes we saw at the Toy Fair.

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 12:01:32 AM »
I don't personally like the look of it. I don't hate it, I likely won't be watching it myself though :lookround:

The 2D animation is nice and considerably more fluid than that of the show (though that's an easy feat considering I'm pretty sure they're flash puppets on the show) although the outlines look weirdly... indented? In a few shots, and I'm assuming it's to try and better match the CGI backgrounds, like give them more depth?
Speaking of which, the backgrounds look extremely out of place. They don't properly 'mesh' with the 2D and it makes the whole production look a lot cheaper than it should, really dragging it down in my eyes.
Story-wise, I can't tell much of what's going on (I haven't read up on the plot or anything), but the comparatively few shots of them in any other environment aside from... Canterlot? The castle place (I haven't watched the show in years) makes me worry that they'll only be short interludes in the main story as opposed to any kind of world-building or plot necessity - basically a glorified reason to make toys of the Mane 6 as merponies, etc. Not that this can't be done well, I just don't have a good feeling about this particular production (toy-based franchises don't tend to pull this off very well).
Additionally, the villains design just seem really... Fanfic-ish to me, and don't seem to mesh well with the rest of the world either, although that's just my opinion and again, I haven't kept up with the show in years so they could be perfectly within their boundaries in that regard.

Sorry if this is a bit long and negative, I just wanted to give my two cents as someone who's currently studying Animation and Concept Design  ^.^
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 06:52:53 AM »
I imagine this will turn out how the Spongebob Movie turned out.  A fun 200 minutes but nothing too deep or thoughtful.  I guess one difference is that Hasbro expects this to sell toys too.
It's nice to have MLP out there in the public face a bit more and to have it ponies not E.G.

Offline AnWren

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
  • Ren - 18 - he/him - I collect G3's (not a brony)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 07:21:33 AM »
Honestly, I really don't like the G4 mlp but I thought the trailer looked pretty cool, and I think I'll at least try and watch it. Plus the villain looks badass and I love her already xD

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 09:56:48 AM »
First things first: I am seriously looking forward to this movie.

And considering they're not using Flash to animate this movie like they do the show they're using ToonBoom which behaves a lot better and produces more smoothly than flash does it looks GOOD. the Quality of the art and animation is better than the show, as is to be expected of a movie version since they've gotten longer to work on these scenes instead of trying to finish a season on deadline. which is where the filler animations of the tv show comes in all the time. the faces only look closer together because  they've lost some of the stylized too big pupils, the models look a lot better to my eye than the tv show. if they were able to redo the show in this style? it would be awesome, and possibly bring back a majority of the audience that stopped watching as quality of animation started to get visibly and noticeably worse.

the 3D elements? yeah, they could have transitioned them in a lot smoother than they have in the movie, some looks out of place while some fits in seamlessly.

..and ..who is Sia and why does she rate getting a fan pony?
Character Designs are good, yes we have a bit of rehashing with pass villains with the storm king dude but I am seriously digging the homage to Catrina in the pirate cat character. and I'm loving the fact they're showing that the world is a lot more diverse than just ponies, gryphons, and yaks. It makes the world less boring and one dimensional.

from comments so far =not just on this site=, people are hating on it because its not 'their' idea of what the My Little Pony movie should be, or how they think it should look like, its the same dumb thing that happens every time something new happens to the show, a new species shows up or something gets changed. no one is willing to give it a shot because its 'not what they want'. The only purpose of this movie is to sell the toys we should be happy that its going to be good quality and not something that was thrown together.

I was just seriously hoping that it wasn't going to be the same bad quality the Equestria Girl movies are and I'm pleased with how it looks.
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Freeindeed

• Trade Count: (+208)
    • View Profile
    • Iris Tiger
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 12:48:46 PM »
The movie looks like it could be cool, but the art style does look a bit different to me as well... I guess that's to be expected since they likely have a bigger budget for this movie. Thanks for posting it. :)

Does anyone know if it will be available on Netflix eventually, like the Equestria Girls movies?

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 03:56:03 PM »
I quite like the animation style, but the trailer's humour seemed pretty forced.. surely there's enough funny material in the movie to get at least one serious laugh in the trailer?! I'm worried, but I'll buy it on DVD for sure. I like the villain, but don't get the sea ponies or any of the plot really at all.

Sia is an Australian pop singer. You know that kid from Dance Mums that starred in a music video? That was Sia's video. (I only know this because hubby is a fan of both pop music and Dance Mums, no pop tracks here - I'm listening to the new Stone Sour album right now, haha!) I'm guessing the insertion of a singer is inspired by Zootopia.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 05:28:44 PM »
I quite like the animation style, but the trailer's humour seemed pretty forced.. surely there's enough funny material in the movie to get at least one serious laugh in the trailer?! I'm worried, but I'll buy it on DVD for sure. I like the villain, but don't get the sea ponies or any of the plot really at all.

Sia is an Australian pop singer. You know that kid from Dance Mums that starred in a music video? That was Sia's video. (I only know this because hubby is a fan of both pop music and Dance Mums, no pop tracks here - I'm listening to the new Stone Sour album right now, haha!) I'm guessing the insertion of a singer is inspired by Zootopia.

thanks for the answer, I still don't know who that is as I don't know what Dance Mum's is -I don't have cable-
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Sunset

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 06:24:48 PM »

thanks for the answer, I still don't know who that is as I don't know what Dance Mum's is -I don't have cable-

She's the one that sings that "Chandelier" song.  I mostly recognize her for appearing on a couple shows I watch.  Most notably "Dancing with the Stars"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal