collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: N00b questions  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Shabi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
N00b questions
« on: June 28, 2017, 06:12:37 PM »
What brand of hair looks and feels exactly as G4 hair? I want to make my OCs look like they're factory made :) I would love to know what shop sends samples (I have a friend in USA who can get them for me so don't mind my location).
I also need to know what colors do I use to rehair baity G4s. Is there a list of preferred colors?
Can we dye nylon hair? Would it wash away if used many times under water? What brand of dye do you suggest to dye body and what kind suits for hair?
Are there half transparent hair? Hair that changes color? Neon hair? Where can I get them?

I'm sorry if those questions have been answered before it's kind of hard to read tons of text in English for me :(

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
Re: N00b questions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 07:51:36 PM »
nylon hair = mlp hair
samples...not sure that any do. maybe rdus would...
there's not a color matching guide for g4 hair that I know of. if you're looking for OCs, just pick colors that look like a good match
yes you can dye nylon. no it won't wash out. RIT dye is common and good to use (set it with cold vinegar water after you dye it in a hot dye bath)
transparent hair? not that I know of
hair that changes color does exist, but I'm not sure where you can buy it right now
neon? yes dollyhair and rdus both have some neon

hope that helps
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 06:35:49 AM »
My Little Customs does colour changed hair. It's limited stock mind you. They ship worldwide.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Shabi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 04:15:34 AM »

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 01:43:44 AM »
Retrodolls also has some color changing hair, at least the type that changes color with heat.

Dyeing is a bit uncertain method to get the color you need on ponies, so I would recommend repainting instead. Dyeing can turn uneven and the color often changes over time.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 07:30:18 AM »
I would avoid buying from  Dollyhair especially then.  She has no communication, often sends the wrong order, often sends less than you need, and these might be okay in for a US buyer but I know how um..... Unreliable the postal system of Russia can be ;)  Trying to work out a mistake would be really tough in this case. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 12:00:10 PM »
I would avoid buying from  Dollyhair especially then.  She has no communication, often sends the wrong order, often sends less than you need, and these might be okay in for a US buyer but I know how um..... Unreliable the postal system of Russia can be ;)  Trying to work out a mistake would be really tough in this case.

That is good to know. We do not have a hair supplier in SA that I am aware of and I was considering ordering from Dollyhair. I was just a bit nervous as some sections of the website do not seem to have been updated for a long time. What is the alternative?

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »
NightGliderSA, you could consider My Little Customs, Dolly Planet and Retrodolls. Not all those carry identical colors with Dollyhair but they are an option still. Remember to ask for a shipping method with tracking if you are unsure with how well the mail arrives to you. :)

artful_fox_customs

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 06:21:38 PM »
I personally prefer The Doll Planet on etsy. Matching colors is a bit finicky with g4s so it's best to have a reference for the doll. You could message the seller of your choice to see if they could color match for you. The only hair that could come close to transparent would be white and only if you did, like, one row of it.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 11:50:59 AM »
NightGliderSA, you could consider My Little Customs, Dolly Planet and Retrodolls. Not all those carry identical colors with Dollyhair but they are an option still. Remember to ask for a shipping method with tracking if you are unsure with how well the mail arrives to you. :)

Thanks Uninu! Yes, we definitely need to ask for shipping with tracking otherwise our mail 'wanders off'. It is a pity as Dollyhair has that helpful guide to what hair colour matches which pony, which is especially great when you are new to the whole thing and cannot physically look at the hair.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal