collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hiding the fact that you're a brony in public.  (Read 7433 times)

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hiding the fact that you're a brony in public.
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »
I'm also in the not a brony camp, but definitely an adult collector (g1-g3), and I... literally leapt spectacularly through a 2nd hand shop just yesterday and grabbed a pony. And bought her. xD I alsosometimes wear pins or stuff on bags, and I have a few primark and h&m pony clothing items. other than that, it's not really too obvious until you enter my house xD I have all my army ponies displayed in the middle of my living room and in case someone is visiting that doesn't know I collect I just go 'oh, yeah, that's 1/3rd of my MLP collection. I collect ponies'.

I just imagined you executing an amazing leap over the heads of several customers, before doing perfect pirouettes all the way up to the cash register with pony in hand.

Haha, I like to imagine it like that but it probably looked more like
"PONY!!!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That picture is me when I want something.

This one time in Tesco the Gloom n Bloom Monster High dolls were on clearance. This dad and his daughter was looking through the dolls, the dad was about to pick up Venus McFlytrap for his daughter but I swooped in and got it. The girl had a distraught look on her face but I just smirked and walked away with it.

A shop had two ponies that I wanted, this person wanted them for their child, I picked up the one I wanted and left the other for this person.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2017, 02:00:52 PM »
The other day I went to a second hand store, but it´s a store that sells kids´clothes, toys etc. I bought a figure of HTTYD. The lady said: Who is the lucky kid that will be so happy? I responded my nephew, but in my mind: My inner child?!

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2017, 05:19:27 PM »
I've always kept it on the down low. I live in a small town where gossip travels fast, and since I'm sure some people already think I'm a weirdo I don't need that to fuel it. It's why I seldom buy pony stuff from the Dollar General here (those G1's I purchased at a garage sale earlier this year were really pushing it). I've only been asked a few times, and if asked I say it's for my niece. I have been asked if they were for me a couple times at Hot Topic and Vintage Stock (the one at HT was OK to admit to as she had on a t shirt that featured a G1 with a pentagram cutie mark).

I do have a covert sign on my car in the form of Dash's cutie mark. It's plain white so it just looks like a cloud and lightning bolt, which goes with the tornado one I have also and my license plate sign saying I'm a storm spotter. I have several pony shirts I either bought or got for being a sponsor level at a convention, but I don't wear them unless it's somewhere way out of town (and even then I usually don't. I especially don't wear one when going to buy pony stuff!)

The only people who know about me being into MLP is my uncle (who lives with me), my railfanning friend (though he doesn't know how into it I am), and of course my sister and her 2 kids (that are full time brony/pegasister). I used to have a good chunk of my stuff on display in the 2 main rooms of my house, but I've moved most into my bedroom. Still have enough out though to make it awkward if someone comes over (my MH dolls are in my mom's hutch and I'll just say they were hers.  :P Same with my unicorn collection, though some of those were actually hers).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:21:38 PM by lonewolf »

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2017, 09:12:23 PM »
well Im not a brony but I never hid the fact that I collect ponies, Pokemon or anime stuff.
Don't really care what people think.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline WaterRaven

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2017, 10:05:56 PM »
i used to be quite embarassed about shopping for toys, especially by myself, but ive all about gotten over it. i used to care a lot about how the store ppl thought about me and what i bought, but then i got a job working retail and now i understand that they just couldnt care less. Adults buy toys all the time. wether it be for themselves, or for their kid, or whatever, if they dont tell me i dont care and i dont assume anything about them. its just one more customer out of a million.
ive lately being trying my hardest to get over my fear of FILMING in the toy section, so i can start toy vlogging.
while checking out buying tons of toys is one thing, i sometimes feel like pointing cameras at all the toys is different. but, with this day and age and how many toy channels there are on youtube, i feel more and more like they wouldnt care about that either.

Oooo, what's your youtube channel?

I can see how you might be shy about filming while you're in a store, but you're right, I hardly bat an eye when people have their phone out and look like they're taking pictures or filming.

On a side note, my neighbors see me outside spraying finish on ponies and dolls that I'm customizing. I can't imagine what goes through their heads when they see me spraying toys?  :art:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:10:59 PM by WaterRaven »

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2017, 10:16:11 PM »
So today was the first day of my new job working at the thrift store where I hunt for ponies.  I confirmed today it's OK to wear a T shirt and printed is ok.  So...even though there's a uniform vest that covers much of it, I will be sure to wear pony T shirts that stick out a little under the vest.  I think I'm going to wear some pony pins on the vest too maybe; I don't see any rule against it.

I also got to use my Pinky/Twily/Dash soup thermos for the first time but didn't have any company for lunch so it went unobserved.  All the staff there already know I'm a pony nut so it's like coming out or anything but still, I'm going to revel in being pony-branded at work.

I got me some G1 looking at ponies in Target pics yesterday, and no one even seemed to notice I was setting up stuff all over the floor to take pictures.  I wanted to get pics at Walmart too but the pony selection at the one I went to is bad so I'll try again at the other walmart near my other job.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2017, 06:21:29 AM »
Congrats on your new job lostpony. :)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2017, 07:05:29 AM »
Maybe it's been said but I think cashiers ask "is that for your daughter/sister" ... etc. because they want to make themselves feel better - for whatever reason they have an insecurity about it.   I don't take it personal and half the time I say it's for me and half the time I don't - depending on my mood.
I just figure they see a guy in his 30s buying a pony and they feel unsure about it so internally they tell themselves a story and then ask.  Not my problem but either way I try to respond cheerfully And positively.

Working in retail is tough and annoying, especially interacting face to face and I genuinely have empathy for that.

Edit

And let's be honest: How good is your Poker Face?  If I'm buying ponies ... I've just made a conquest!!! I'm gonna keep it at arms distance or closer, I'm gonna be reading the box, look at accessories (if it's new), the endorphins are running.
On the other hand if I was REALLY buying for a nephew , I'd toss that WWE figure (Noah Fence) on the belt and peruse the candy shelf for Caramel M&Ms.
So it's probably obvious we got that pony for ourselves anyway.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:48:36 AM by gabumon »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2017, 09:59:11 AM »
Maybe it's been said but I think cashiers ask "is that for your daughter/sister" ... etc. because they want to make themselves feel better - for whatever reason they have an insecurity about it.   I don't take it personal and half the time I say it's for me and half the time I don't - depending on my mood.
I just figure they see a guy in his 30s buying a pony and they feel unsure about it so internally they tell themselves a story and then ask.  Not my problem but either way I try to respond cheerfully And positively.

Working in retail is tough and annoying, especially interacting face to face and I genuinely have empathy for that.

Edit

And let's be honest: How good is your Poker Face?  If I'm buying ponies ... I've just made a conquest!!! I'm gonna keep it at arms distance or closer, I'm gonna be reading the box, look at accessories (if it's new), the endorphins are running.
On the other hand if I was REALLY buying for a nephew , I'd toss that WWE figure (Noah Fence) on the belt and peruse the candy shelf for Caramel M&Ms.

Haven't tried the caramel MnMs. The coffee ones are weird.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

lostpony

« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »
Working in retail is tough and annoying,

the endorphins are running.

Having worked now one day in retail, I have to say it's tough.  I'm glad I respected that in the first place or I'd feel pretty bad.  Small talk about the purchases is probably all that's getting those poor people through their day that just drones on and on and on, with another day just like it to look forward to and not exactly a lot of pay.

You're right, I don't think I'd be much able to hide pony excitement if I wanted to.  Now off to my second day, the first was like 2, 2, 2 days in one.  Ack.  I'd rather try and get schizophrenics to come to their appointments all day, at least that job is only half days.  Oh goody, that's tomorrow.

Offline WaterRaven

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2017, 10:55:50 AM »
So today was the first day of my new job working at the thrift store where I hunt for ponies.  I confirmed today it's OK to wear a T shirt and printed is ok.  So...even though there's a uniform vest that covers much of it, I will be sure to wear pony T shirts that stick out a little under the vest.  I think I'm going to wear some pony pins on the vest too maybe; I don't see any rule against it.

I also got to use my Pinky/Twily/Dash soup thermos for the first time but didn't have any company for lunch so it went unobserved.  All the staff there already know I'm a pony nut so it's like coming out or anything but still, I'm going to revel in being pony-branded at work.

I got me some G1 looking at ponies in Target pics yesterday, and no one even seemed to notice I was setting up stuff all over the floor to take pictures.  I wanted to get pics at Walmart too but the pony selection at the one I went to is bad so I'll try again at the other walmart near my other job.

Congratulations on your new job  :happy: 

We have a lot of toy collectors where I live, so much so that we have a convention once a month for toys from the 80s/90s, so I know lots of different toy collectors in the area and will see them at thrift shops etc. In addition, we have tons of comic cons as well, so I see lots of bronies too. We all get to observe each other out in the wild ;)

lostpony

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2017, 08:08:39 PM »
That's it, I'm moving to Canada.

Do they accept Trump refugees?

And thankses for the congratses

Offline WaterRaven

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2017, 10:17:06 PM »
That's it, I'm moving to Canada.

Do they accept Trump refugees?

And thankses for the congratses

I hope we accept Trump refugees! I'd love to have more pony collecting pals! We literally have a fantasy/scifi convention/comic con/toy con etc every month and all over the Greater Toronto Area. I buy way too many things D:

I fully support you moving here to pony-it-up with me :D

lostpony

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2017, 11:50:26 PM »
I...was joking, but now I'm going to do a little research...

Offline WaterRaven

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2017, 10:43:51 AM »
I...was joking, but now I'm going to do a little research...

:happy:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal