collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hiding the fact that you're a brony in public.  (Read 7432 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Hiding the fact that you're a brony in public.
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2017, 02:23:13 PM »
When I'm in the toy isle- I am protected by the fact that unfortunately, I look like a "mom."  So I don't get weird looks.  BUT there are a lot more teenage/young adult people in the toy isles these days- and I KNOW they are not all parents.  Especially the young men who see me and scurry away as fast as possible, trying to pretend they were not eyeing up the products... (not just ponies either).

I want to tell them "DON'T WORRY! I'M ON YOUR SIDE! I ALSO LIKE PONIES AND THE RANDOM ACTION FIGURE! but I don't, because I'm sure that would scare them even more, haha

At the check out- (why do they ask anyway?) I do sometimes lie when they ask who the ponies or dolls are for.  "My Niece" I might say. 

At work I have various POP stuff on my shelves- but I hide the ponies and fashion dolls (well, except a few Funko vinyls and POPS).   

Even so, I've been here long enough that people do know that I collect ponies and fashion dolls and other weird things... honestly I feel like I get WAY more judgmental looks about the fashion dolls than ANYTHING else...

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2017, 03:29:08 PM »
 I am quite nice to kids actually. At the carboot sales with MH dolls (it is rarely MLP that  I see there now) if there is a kid looking, I let them decide what they want first before I get involved. In shops there is rarely any competition because kids looking at MH are usually telling Dad (who is ready with his smartphone to take pictures) which dolls they want for their birthday or Christmas and so they are not buying there and then. I don't often buy G4 from stores unless it is on discount and then I am usually at stores on days/times when kids are not.

If it were a G1 pony I didn't have...I don't know whether I might be more...erm...assertive. As a child I remember standing guard over the 'orange' stall at my Dad's school fete (he was a teacher) to get Gypsy because they would not let me buy her until the fete opened and I swear anyone who had got in my way that day would have been trampled. But I was nine...so...

In carboot sales my sister and I used to use a two prong attack but it was usually Naynie who dove into boxes and on one occasion actually threw herself on top of a box...

But then this is the sister who I went to a Thomas the Tank Engine Santa Special with last year because we both felt nostalgic and wanted to go, so I think we're both a bit late to be worrying about people's opinions on our maturity...(my sister is 30 this November).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2017, 04:13:10 PM »
@Galactacia: Awww I feel sorry for those young men who feel they have to scurry away. I think it's not any of a cashier's business to ask who things a customer is buying are for anyway also.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2017, 04:41:48 PM »
@Galactacia: Awww I feel sorry for those young men who feel they have to scurry away. I think it's not any of a cashier's business to ask who things a customer is buying are for anyway also.

I know, poor guys.  It really is a shame that society basically believes that adults (and especially males) should not be interested in toys and if they are, there must be something wrong with them.  :(

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 05:05:25 PM »

I know, poor guys.  It really is a shame that society basically believes that adults (and especially males) should not be interested in toys and if they are, there must be something wrong with them.  :(

I think that guys have it a lot tougher than girls do in these situations. For some reason society still associate "girl" with "weak" or "lesser" so that if girls buy 'boy' toys nobody comments, but if guys buy "girl" toys, they get mocked far more easily. Society is pretty messed up on both counts. When I worked at the college I had several brony pony fans and one in particular who I used to have long conversations with about G1 and G4. I seem to remember I had to take a photo of the G1 ponies that went with the G4 "Concept art" image for him, because he wanted to see what they looked like. I think it's a shame that more guys aren't able to feel confident in their interest because of silly social stereotypes that do nothing positive for either men or women.

I don't think it helps either that a few noisy and silly 'bronies' have made a negative reputation for the guys who just want to buy ponies and enjoy them. It shouldn't be harder for guys to buy ponies if they want them, but I can totally see how it could be, and why they'd feel like that.

Society sucks.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:07:25 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shabi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2017, 04:21:42 PM »
Never did and would fight someone for being rude about it! Actually had to in school. A lot. I can't stand rude people.
Every time I hear someone say: "Wow, seriously, ponies? Are you, like, five?" I get mad  :pout:

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 04:57:56 PM »
...but that's why they say it.

I just say I'm 4.  It's not far from the truth.

Offline SilverHorsey

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • So Soft Pony
  • I am made of horses and ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 09:41:38 PM »
Not a brony, but occassionaly I buy G4s that I like. I used to look around and see if anyone saw me buying, but now I just don't care. I might buy it for my little sister(who I don't have lol).

My pony collection is a bigger secret, only one friend knows about it. I don't see the need to brag around with it either, my collection is small and nothing special. People mostly understand when I say I collect model horses, but collecting ponies raises eyebrows.
Formerly known as bigmylittleponyfan

Offline WaterRaven

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2017, 10:25:02 PM »
I'm somewhere between a collector and brony/pegasister. I'm a huge fan of the show and it's good character development and writing, but I grew up on the G1 show... when I first started re-collecting, I had roommates and they obviously thought it was weird, and I was super embarrassed, but now I've got my own place and my friends that come over love my collection :)

For some people, it becomes your defining trait (which is stupid because tons of people have hobbies that they don't get identified with), but those are people you interact with regularly. If it's at a store, I just assume they can't assume anything about me unless I'm decked-out in pony gear. If I'm buying a toy, it could be for me, a random kid in my family, or an art project. These stores see adults buy toys everyday.

I say just buy stuff you want without any concerns about it and if you live in an area where being a Brony can be dangerous (I've read about Bronies getting asked to leave or being beaten up by crazies etc) if someone asks you if you're a brony or if the toys are for you, say it's for your niece, kid sister etc. I'm ok with people not being open about it if it's a matter of safety. Some people are stubborn, ignorant, and dangerous, and I'd rather they butt-out of your business and you feel safe and enjoy your hobby without confrontation and negativity.

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
I'm somewhere between a collector and brony/pegasister. I'm a huge fan of the show and it's good character development and writing, but I grew up on the G1 show... when I first started re-collecting, I had roommates and they obviously thought it was weird, and I was super embarrassed, but now I've got my own place and my friends that come over love my collection :)

For some people, it becomes your defining trait (which is stupid because tons of people have hobbies that they don't get identified with), but those are people you interact with regularly. If it's at a store, I just assume they can't assume anything about me unless I'm decked-out in pony gear. If I'm buying a toy, it could be for me, a random kid in my family, or an art project. These stores see adults buy toys everyday.

I say just buy stuff you want without any concerns about it and if you live in an area where being a Brony can be dangerous (I've read about Bronies getting asked to leave or being beaten up by crazies etc) if someone asks you if you're a brony or if the toys are for you, say it's for your niece, kid sister etc. I'm ok with people not being open about it if it's a matter of safety. Some people are stubborn, ignorant, and dangerous, and I'd rather they butt-out of your business and you feel safe and enjoy your hobby without confrontation and negativity.

i used to be quite embarassed about shopping for toys, especially by myself, but ive all about gotten over it. i used to care a lot about how the store ppl thought about me and what i bought, but then i got a job working retail and now i understand that they just couldnt care less. Adults buy toys all the time. wether it be for themselves, or for their kid, or whatever, if they dont tell me i dont care and i dont assume anything about them. its just one more customer out of a million.
ive lately being trying my hardest to get over my fear of FILMING in the toy section, so i can start toy vlogging.
while checking out buying tons of toys is one thing, i sometimes feel like pointing cameras at all the toys is different. but, with this day and age and how many toy channels there are on youtube, i feel more and more like they wouldnt care about that either.

wishlist

lostpony

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2017, 08:41:11 AM »
The previous post reminds me, I do feel a little awkward when I hold up a pony in stores to shoot it looking at things, but I just push past that feeling and do it anyway.  I pose ponies in all sorts of settings for pictures, and just wait long enough for people to clear out of my shot.  Some of the glances I get are priceless.  I keep waiting for the moment someone's going to grab my pony and I have to chase them down but it hasn't happened yet.

I am a little glad that we're on G4 because this means I can take a G1 anywhere but the thrift store and not worry about security asking if I'm going to pay for that, haha.  This makes me realize I need some pictures of G1s looking at G4s in packages.  I don't know why...all I know for sure is ponies do something to my brain chemistry, so I obey.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2017, 11:43:59 AM »
The previous post reminds me, I do feel a little awkward when I hold up a pony in stores to shoot it looking at things, but I just push past that feeling and do it anyway.  I pose ponies in all sorts of settings for pictures, and just wait long enough for people to clear out of my shot.  Some of the glances I get are priceless.  I keep waiting for the moment someone's going to grab my pony and I have to chase them down but it hasn't happened yet.

I am a little glad that we're on G4 because this means I can take a G1 anywhere but the thrift store and not worry about security asking if I'm going to pay for that, haha.  This makes me realize I need some pictures of G1s looking at G4s in packages.  I don't know why...all I know for sure is ponies do something to my brain chemistry, so I obey.

Ha! Good point and yes I'd love to see that. You take such fun pictures.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »
I am loud and proud to be an adult MLP G1-G4 collector.  I used to be a bit shy about it, and still am with my brothers just because they can be mean and they just don't understand.  However, even back in high school my friends knew about it.  People try to find me pony stuff and no longer ask me why or say that I am silly.  My mom and husband are great about it. 

I wear pony shirts all the time as well as belts and socks.  I use my MLP backpack and have vintage G1 artwork binders from Zazzle at work and a couple ponies on my desk!  I have MLP keychains on most of my key rings and one on my purse.  I use a canvas G1 retro tote as my everyday work tote in which my G1 book by Summer has been the whole time.  When I had my ponies in my "pony room/study room" when I lived with my parents, I would show anyone I hadn't shown yet.  I have ponies displayed in a couple different places on our house along with pony art on the walls.  Hey, my whole MH collections is in our bedroom on shelves. 

I don't hide it from people.  I used to work in labor and delivery and most of my closer coworkers knew I collected.  Then I got a day phone nurse job in the OBGYN clinic and we have one MD who is CRAZY about Star Wars, huge huge fan.  His wedding ring even has a Star Wars symbol on it and he cosplays and goes to conventions (still haven't asked if he's been to SDCC).  We got to talking when one of his pt's had a Care Bear tattoo and I told him that I collect MLP.  He thought it was awesome.  He was on call that weekend and was talking about me to the L&D nurses I used to work with, "There's a nurse in the clinic now that's crazier than me, she collects My Little Pony" and he said that everyone knew who I was and that they missed me.  I get the warm fuzzies when I think of that.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2017, 09:48:51 PM »
Honestly, if I were a brony, I'd probably hide it, there are so many crazies, both bronies and brony-haters where I am! It has been asked if I was a brony, hubby was buying me a pony, while I was at a display nearby, and the cashier asked if he was a brony, and he said it was for me. He then asked if I was a brony, to which hubby snorted. I think the poor cashier might have been one, he looked a little dejected! Oops, bad hubby!

Everyone in my family and our circle of friends knows I'm a pony collector, or as hubby calls it, a pony hoarder... I really need to get back to selling my extras, LOL! I don't hide it, I don't usually flaunt it THAT much, I have the occasional pony thing, like shirts, or stationery, or sometimes a phone case, etc. I'm always buying pony stuff, so I dare say most of the cashiers at my usual haunts have figured it out by now - meh! I don't really care.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

lostpony

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2017, 10:01:37 PM »
Thanks, LaW, I appreciate that.

I love your story Nessa16.  What a great thing to be known for at work.

YES pony hoarder.  Me too!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal