collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Flea sprays/bug bombs vs ponies?  (Read 734 times)

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Flea sprays/bug bombs vs ponies?
« on: June 24, 2017, 04:05:11 AM »
One of the cats escaped past mom and into the wilds of the backyard, and when mom finally brought her back in, she brought unwelcome visitors with her. So we have fleas in the house now. Ew! And they're biting me as well as the cats! Good grief, these itch! :yikes:

So I need to bug bomb both floors, and I'm wondering if I should inspect and bag/box up my G1 ponies before I do, or is it safe to just leave them out? Some are in a display cabinet, but it's not sealed to the wall, so spray will be able to get in there as well.

Any input is appreciated. Meanwhile, I've a ton of laundry and bedding that needs washing now (or so it seems, anyway), and all the papers that have been sitting out need to be gone through as well while I wait for an order of flea stuff from chewy.com

Thanks in advance, everyone! Wish me luck!
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Flea sprays/bug bombs vs ponies?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 09:16:40 AM »
Oh Gods I hate fleas!  I'd definitely bag em up, better safe then sorry.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 10:25:34 AM »
Oh dear! Fleas are one thing. Having flea bites are another. I'm not sure if you should bag them up, as I don't even know what a big bomb is. But probably bag them up.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline tsukikakushi

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »
I would seriously discourage the use of bombs or indoor foggers. Highly toxic to anything living in the house. And they don't work very well to begin with. Plus cats are very intolerant of some pesticides, and can be poisoned easily.

Are any of the cats on flea preventative? If not, and you bomb any way, the fleas still on the cats will just lay more eggs and you'll be infested again. I'd recommend Vectra topical, or Comfortis oral for indoor cats. I'm not sure if the Advantage formula changed when it went over the counter or not; but it was a good product as well. Pretty much anything you'd get from a vet is good stuff- definitely stay away from Hartz/Sergants/random WalMart brand; all that over the counter stuff is pretty toxic. And I've seen both cats & dogs have adverse affects from it (seizures etc.) You'll have to treat all the cats for at least 3 months straight to kill off all the flea life cycles.

Also, washing bedding constantly; and vacuuming daily will help. Even if you don't have carpet the eggs & stuff hide in all sorts of cracks & crevices. Good luck, I know it's frustrating but it will get better. Just takes a little time & vigilance! ;)
Wishlist:http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,350943.new.html#new

Currently looking for FF Minty. Let me know if you have her for sale!  :newpony:

Offline Kazzellin

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 01:08:39 PM »
Sounds like bagging and boxing is the way to go, then. Lots of prep work to be done, bleh. I look forward to Friday when I'll be able to buy the feline advantage for treating the kitties.

Tsukikakushi, I'll have to look more in to the bug bombs, if that's the case. We used them last time we had fleas, though. And yeah, not looking forward to all the laundry this is causing. XC

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 01:09:58 PM »
Oh no :( fleas can be a real problem. You will need to treat your kitties and your house in my experience.

You can get fleas even without having pets. I've walked fleas in from outside, this has happened to me in the past when I've not had any pets.

Kitty will need treatment for fleas (and worm, fleas can give cars tapeworm!) I use a combined flea and worm drop on my house kitty. I also treat her for tapeworm with tablets. 

I've never used a bomb. I treat my house with a Bob Martin flea house spray, as well as treating kitty. You just need yo spray the carpet and skirting boards as that's where they like yo live. I keep the door shut (and window open) for the day, so the fumes disperse and kitty can't get in.

My ponies are in cabinets with doors, so they are safe :)

I hope you get rid of the fleas!

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Kazzellin

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 08:45:06 PM »
Well, it's starting to look like I mainly just have to clean, do a ton of laundry, and treat the cats. Cleaned and organized half of the room up here, and didn't see a single flea! Once I take care of all the papers covering the couch, I'll wash all the blankets covering it, give it a good wash/vacuum, do the same for the bed, chairs, glider and rugs upstairs and down, give kitties baths (they'll love that, lol), and look up the bob Martin stuff PKW mentioned, and go from there. Still going to bag up the plushies, though; better safe then sorry, and the cats like sleeping in them. Yay.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 10:42:42 PM »
I just hope your cats aren't allergic to fleas because my cat Misty (died a long time ago), was.

But I can't believe your cats like baths. I know some cats like baths. bet they smile when they are having a bath.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal