collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cherries Jubilee and her Symbol  (Read 1029 times)

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Cherries Jubilee and her Symbol
« on: June 23, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »
Hello all!

I have a question about Cherries Jubilee's symbol. From what I can figure out on Strawberry Reef and My Little Wiki, the normal symbol colour is a dark pink colour. However, I have four HK Cherries in my herd. The first was a deliberate purchase, and the following three came as parts of lots where I wanted other ponies in those lots. And between the four of them I have three different symbol colours - pink, orange and purple. Um..., why? Please help! :blush:

Here is a helpful photo:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:03:31 AM by NightGliderSA »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Cherries Jubilee and her Symbol
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 10:43:44 AM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think there is a Euro / UK version of Cherries Jubilee with a darker symbol from the Movie Ponies line.  Basically, the Movie Ponies were the equivalent of the So-Soft ponies (in a smaller set), except without the flocking.  Since SS Cherries Jubilee has a darker symbol than US NSS Cherries Jubilee, Movie Pony Cherries Jubilee also got a darker symbol.

I hope that makes sense. :)

I will note that Cherries Jubilee's symbol also can fade / discolor to various shades, so that's another possibility.  IMO the orangy symboled one and the one in the foreground are 'the same', only with slight paint variation or fading.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think there is a Euro / UK version of Cherries Jubilee with a darker symbol from the Movie Ponies line.  Basically, the Movie Ponies were the equivalent of the So-Soft ponies (in a smaller set), except without the flocking.  Since SS Cherries Jubilee has a darker symbol than US NSS Cherries Jubilee, Movie Pony Cherries Jubilee also got a darker symbol.

I hope that makes sense. :)

I will note that Cherries Jubilee's symbol also can fade / discolor to various shades, so that's another possibility.  IMO the orangy symboled one and the one in the foreground are 'the same', only with slight paint variation or fading.

Half right xD.

She's not from the Movie Star pony line, but she does exist.
I have a lot more stuff about her, including pictures both loose and MOC of both UK releases on this page:
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/cherries_jubilee.htm

But it seems like this particular version of Cherries Jubilee was only sold in the UK. There are other variations as second release Cherries Jubilee made in Hong Kong in Europe but they are again different, largely because most of them have curly hair.

What I do not know is what South Africa had, because South Africa...there are bits and pieces of information about your pony line and honestly, any additional information is still really needed. It is possible that you had the same pony release as we did, or you could have had the same release as other European countries did (as you have Truly and Cupcake).

In any case, the Cherries Jubilee we're talking about comes from the 86 set with Gypsy, Honeycomb, Hopscotch, Snowflake and magenta symbol Posey. And if you had all of those ponies in South Africa, you probably also had our 2nd edition CJ. She's very easy to spot if you know what you are looking for - she has dark symbols and straight hair that has never ever been curly. If your dark symbolled one has curly hair or signs of ever having had curly hair (longer and slightly more rough/thicker) then she comes from one of the European sets (but I am not an expert on which).

There are also batch variations on symbol print for the original Cherries Jubilee (what is known in the UK as Groom & Style Cherries Jubilee, in the US as Year 3 Cherries Jubilee).

A lot of people don't know she exists, and so she isn't really worth very much as the people who want her find her and those who don't never notice she is there.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:53:26 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 11:51:11 AM »
Thanks so much Taffeta, it is really awesome to have that sorted out!  :biggrin:

As it turns out, none of these ponies are actually from South Africa. They really are very hard to find here and so most of my herd is actually imported. 'Pink' Cherries came from America and the other two ladies are both from the same seller in the Netherlands.

If it will help, here is a photo of a Cherries I did buy in SA - chomped to pieces unfortunately.

Post Merge: June 23, 2017, 11:55:47 AM

Sorry: short addition. I have two of the darker Cherries, both complete with their original factory curl. Which makes sense as they both came from The Netherlands  :). 'Orange' Cherries also has curly hair, but 'pink' Cherries has lost most of her curl.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:05:50 AM by NightGliderSA »

lostpony

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »
Congrats on your variant-laded Cherries Jubilee army!  The three look so good all together like you picture them.

I love Cherries Jubiee and always buy her  when i can.  Without checking, i think mine are all the pink cherry ones.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 02:03:40 AM »
Ah, that poor chewed Cherries J! But just from that I would think she's a normal 1985 CJ xD.

It does sound like you do indeed have the European 2nd release one, which does indeed make sense. Yay the theories work :D Glad you have your questions cleared up!

@Lostpony, if your CJs came from the US, you probably will only find that version since Hasbro stuck fur all over your second release. I just don't totally understand why there's the difference between the UK and Euro releases, except that the UK one is clearly haired to fit the set she is in, none of them have curls. There are a lot of weird things happening in 86 across Europe with sets and the like. I still don't understand why Honeycomb was not sold in Germany but Baby Honeycomb was...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

lostpony

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 03:07:30 AM »
Phase of the moon?

I like the chewed one too, it's from the Spike Grew Up set, all the ponies have toothmarks in that one.  no?

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »
Congrats on your variant-laded Cherries Jubilee army!  The three look so good all together like you picture them.

I love Cherries Jubiee and always buy her  when i can.  Without checking, i think mine are all the pink cherry ones.

Thank you! I did not realise that four ponies was enough to comprise an army, and variant-laded just sounds so... Impressive!  ;)

However I do have a real soft spot for Cherries Jubilee, though she is not a pony I knew about as a child, and will be getting another one in September when my uncle comes to visit. I bought her because she comes with her original ribbon and I do so love original MLP ribbons. She has the pink cherries symbol, and was purchased off eBay from a UK seller.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 01:03:44 PM »
Then I guess you know her song?

Altogether now...1,2,3...Cherries Jubilee!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

lostpony

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 01:44:11 PM »
I don't know the song; I only got halfway through my G1 DVDs and now can't find them darnit.

Do you happen to have a link to it Taffeta?  hope hope...

I really like the darker pink symbol.  You so lucky NightGliderSA!

(I call three or more of anything a "squad", haha.  I have several such 3-4 member pre-armies...)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:49:55 PM by lostpony »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »
It is a UK song...came on a record or a tape. The songs are all on my page ( link in sig under 1985 groom and style ponies section but an easier hunt would be to look them up on youtube as LM uploaded the files there some time ago.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 05:51:16 AM »
Ok, "squad" it is then  :biggrin:

I really seem to have missed out on the whole song and video thing, so will go and look it up on youtube. Gotta love youtube!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal