Pony Talk > Pony Corral

Audio interview with Ruth Bush (G1 Hasbro designer / artist / molder)

(1/2) > >>

LadyMoondancer:
I'm sure some people have already come across this, but it was new to me . . . I found a Pony Talk radio program where they interviewed Ruth Bush!  She talks about how they designed G1 ponies (the process), the paints used on prototypes, and designing the concepts themselves.  Super interesting!!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/my-little-pony-talk/2017/02/21/interview-with-ruth-bush--2202017

As far as I can tell the interview with Ruth Bush starts at about the 33 minute mark.

She also says that one pony might have MANY prototypes, because the prototypes were sent all over to be advertised "in person" to people.   Also, the prototypes she worked with were vinyl ponies.  Which makes me wonder if the clay (?) painted prototypes found in the UK are unique to the UK.  She says the prototypes she worked on were painted with cel vinyl paints, the type of paints also used on old animation cels.

I know we've had discussions about pony names with Cherry Berry / Sherbet before . . . According to the interview a pony might go through several names during the design process, and sometimes the designers would have an informal vote on the favorite name.  Also, the Toy Fair packaging wasn't mass produced, but was created, cut out, and glued together by hand specifically for the event.  I'm not sure if the Toy Fair Catalog produced by Hasbro was tied to the "event" of Toy Fair or if they are separate, though.

Also the Soft 'n Sleepy Newborns were originally intended to be flocked, which explains the name, lol.

SUPER interesting interview, and she seems like such an awesome person with a real passion for the brand.

Haruna:

--- Quote from: LadyMoondancer on June 22, 2017, 01:51:28 PM ---I know we've had discussions about pony names with Cherry Berry / Sherbet before . . . According to the interview a pony might go through several names during the design process, and sometimes the designers would have an informal vote on the favorite name. 
--- End quote ---
So that's how we ended up with ponies like Woosie XD

--- Quote from: LadyMoondancer on June 22, 2017, 01:51:28 PM ---Also the Soft 'n Sleepy Newborns were originally intended to be flocked, which explains the name, lol.

--- End quote ---
That makes sense. Although I've got to say I'm glad they didn't flock them; they'd look pretty strange with flocking and beddy-bye eyes!

Clipper:
I was asking her all the questions on the interview. Surprised you didn't see this, I posted an event on Facebook through the hqg1c group a few months ago when it was going on live. :)

I am super glad you liked it. She is such an amazing person with such a great source of information.
She also helps with the hqg1c phonies, and makes a print for each pony.
Clipper

lostpony:
Omigosh no I didn't know about this interview thanks so much for sharing it LadyMoondancer!

Clipper you are now my hero.  What a great opportunity to ask all the right questions, thank you for being there and doing this for us (is the Genie team now going to make us the Flutter Hideaway playset?).

Someone in there sounds like G3 Pinkie Pie...

I just love this!  I worked in an electronics company when things were at a similar stage to the time period Ruth is discussing where I was the inside person doing stuff that was otherwise farmed out so I can relate to the sort of exciting production environment she's describing.  This really brings the making of G1 alive for me and I've wondered about it so much...this is just so amazing to hear from someone who was there who's so passionate about it and it's just so amazing I just can't express it. 

I'm so grateful for Ruth Bush now.  It's such a privilege to hear her talk about the "rump designs" and the concepts involved in making G1 and how it was at Hasbro then, from the perspective at that time and her history and all this good stuff.  I'm just stunned and so happy.

Galactica:
Very cool! Thanks for posting the link-  there is so much on facebook that I don't usually see all of it when I do finally check in...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version