collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Creating a Composite Canon for G1  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Creating a Composite Canon for G1
« on: June 22, 2017, 02:43:24 AM »
Admittedly, I have been working on this for years since I learned of the U.K. comic and Fact File.  I want to take the various canons of G1 and form a composite canon.  This is not tiered like the current generation seems where the show is the primary canon and the comic series and other media are only canon so long as they are not contradicted by the show or whatever is higher tiered.  Instead, this would be a take what works best from the show, the comic, the fact file, the backcards, and books.

This new canon will also have some original elements.  The ponies' world has a broad ring system around it and two major moons.  This is because I like the visual of it, it makes it easy to discern this world from ours as well as Equestria, and it fits right in with various fantasy worlds of 80's cartoons.  Connections to Norse mythology will be played up (and the local writing system is a runic version of the English Phonetic Alphabet).

I have to go for now, but I want some thoughts on the concept of doing this.  What elements from the different canons would you want to see in a composite?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:55:05 PM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Creating a Composite Canon for G1
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 07:52:27 AM »
I think this is a huge amount of work though the results of it would be really interesting.

The ony thing I would say is that in terms of the UK lore, the moon (like the sun and the stars) are sentient characters. Having two moons jars with that. A lot of backcard stories in the UK reference the sun, the moon or the stars as well as the comics, so you might need to look at that if you want to give their world two moons.

Otherwise, I'm too biased towards the UK canon to be helpful xD.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 08:49:02 AM »
It does sound like an awful lot of work. But I'm sure it will be stunning once finished. Ido like the idea of a ring system, but the two moons idea does sort of cause some continuity errors. As for the alphabet, I think it's a good idea. But we have seen with the nursery, it does have gigantic English letters. Ponies can use English despite there being no England to make the language. What if there was the runic alphabet, and over time it evolved into what we would identify as English? Languages change, and I'm sure that with however long the ponies have been around, it would look different from pony two thousand years ago. So what if the runic one is like an old alphabet, like the stuff we see in medieval paintings, and English is it's new, more commonly known equivalent? If that makes sense.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »
This is where the "What works best" thing comes in.

While celestial objects being sentient was wonderfully whimsical, it's not something I intend to use.  The moon(s) are giant balls of rock orbiting the planet.  Though, there is rich and varied mythology regarding them.  Not so much for the ponies though, they call them Luna Major and Luna Minor.

The alphabet idea comes from the notion that in this world the equivalent of the Norse were dominant instead of Romans.  Therefore, their writing is what became the standard.  I might not even have the nursery as a separate building anyway.

Outside of not making everything and anything sentient, I'm actually going to rely heavily on U.K. lore.  The Princess Ponies are going to based on the U.K. versions and serve as Majesty's court.  They also have dragon attendants (they and Spike are all brothers with Spike being the first to hatch and Smokey being the runt).  The Mountain Boys are there but are unicorns.  Majesty is the queen of the ponies or course, and Megan is actually something the ponies mostly keep hidden from their world for her safety.  Should she be seen by others, they claim she's from one of the nearby human settlements.

Wind Whistler and Paradise are probably going to be the closest to the show continuity.  Fizzy too now that I think about it.  Gusty and Shady are a mix.  Gusty is abrasive and impatient like in the show, but has a tender spot for kids and loves blowing leaves into massive piles to jump in during the fall.  Shady is a worrier, but her worrying pushes her to go out to deal with the trouble she sees with her magic sunglasses guiding her.  Galaxy is their lead astronomer and spends every clear night looking through her telescope at the heaves.

This is going to be a lot of work.  However, I've been working on a story world that represents G1 as a whole.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal