collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: eBay Local Pick Up Risks?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
eBay Local Pick Up Risks?
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:56:54 PM »
A non pony related situation,  but answers of course can apply to other transactions.

I recently spotted a doll on eBay I have really been wanting. The bid starts very low, but the item is local pick up. This is perhaps understandable, as she would be hard to ship, and I happen to be traveling to the area in about a week. I am worried about risks here, as there would be no proof of me receiving it or not receiving it, and the seller does not have feedback. What protection do I have here? If the seller flakes, will I be able to submit a case to ebay, and if so, will they really side with me?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: eBay Local Pick Up Risks?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 11:47:51 PM »
1. I'd arrange to meet in a public location. It's safer for everyone involved.
2. Print up a bill of sale and have both parties sign copies of it
3. Take pictures of the item at time of exchange with the contract present.

If the seller flakes, well not much you can do except they won't be able to prove you've picked up the item I'd imagine, and you can file an 'item not received' claim?  You could always take pictures of yourself being present at the agreed location/time to back your claim - coffee shop receipt works well here. 

In person or by mail, either way as a seller you need to prove you've done your part to deliver the goods in good faith.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 06:04:58 AM »
1. I'd arrange to meet in a public location. It's safer for everyone involved.
2. Print up a bill of sale and have both parties sign copies of it
3. Take pictures of the item at time of exchange with the contract present.

If the seller flakes, well not much you can do except they won't be able to prove you've picked up the item I'd imagine, and you can file an 'item not received' claim?  You could always take pictures of yourself being present at the agreed location/time to back your claim - coffee shop receipt works well here. 

In person or by mail, either way as a seller you need to prove you've done your part to deliver the goods in good faith.

These are all very good suggestions. And, keep in mind that 99% of the time, eBay will side with the buyer. My husband and I recently had an eBay buyer want to pick up an order. We met in a Walmart parking lot. We had each other's cell numbers to text back and forth meeting times and let each other know when we've arrived and it went without a hitch. Feedback was exchanged within 5 minutes of the transaction.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 12:50:33 PM »
Those are all great suggestions.

I will admit I've done local pick up a few times as both buyer and seller and didn't really take any precautions.  But for every 99 good transactions there is bound to be a bad one I guess.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 10:55:21 PM »
The biggest risk to pick-up honestly lies with the seller. They have no proof you received it, and often prefer cash on pick-up for that reason - if they can't prove they sent it, they don't want you to be able to prove you paid for it! Other than that, I'd recommend not going alone, or meeting in a public place.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 07:51:45 PM »
I sort of did a pickup once. Bought a doll at a small con, but didn't have the cash on me. So the vendor was kind enough to let me pay them with Paypal on the spot. They then wrote up the reciept for me the same way they did for the other items, but added a "recieved" section that I had to sign. We then both had a copy of the reciept. But I also agree on meeting somewhere public, don't go alone, and take photos as well. :) Agreed too though that more of the risk is on the seller when it comes to ebay. Without all that, it would be hard to prove the seller did their part.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal