collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Differences Between Cartoon and Comic Book Personalities  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Differences Between Cartoon and Comic Book Personalities
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2017, 10:32:07 AM »
Why do sea ponies need a boat?  :blink:

Ask Hasbro. I always thought it was weird, but she definitely had one xD. Maybe LM has a scan which shows it in her collection. I have only a very few stories from the comics on my site at the moment, but I do have one about Sea Shimmer being naughty.

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/mlpmedia/seashimmer1.zip

Surf Rider apparently surfs the waves. And I think Sea Star may have had a starfish friend but I can't remember now.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:34:17 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2017, 10:45:44 AM »
Yeah, Majesty was in a couple of the US books. Off the top of my head, Majesty is in "My Little Pony Makes a Wish", where Spike 'borrows' her scepter to change the seasons to please his pony friends and makes a royal mess of things, and "Spike and the Magic Horseshoes" where Spike is feeling neglected and 'borrows' Majesty's magic shoes so he can turn invisible. There might be more but those are the only two I can remember off the top of my head.

However only a couple books aligned with MLP & Friends either (off the top of my head "Picnic at Paradise Estate" and "The Dance Recital").  Most of the books were made before MLP & Friends ever aired and featured Year 2 or Year 3 ponies.  Mostly Year 2, that was really MLP's heyday in the US.

But there were coloring books for a lot of the later years so they weren't totally neglected.

Oh yeah, Seaspray's boat!  I've got some scans of that:

I guess it was for long journeys?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 10:52:17 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »
Using the facts of the toys, I've always had the floats be needed for the baby sea ponies to stay upright on the surface because their tails had not yet developed enough to serve as ballast.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »
Here's a picture of the Spike and the Magic Shoes.

Spike and the Magic Shoes by LovesBarbie, on Flickr 

She also appears in animated form in the US Dream Castle commercial. I never really thought about it before but it is a strange that Majesty didn't appear in RAMC or Escape from Catrina or even a line about Majesty being away from the Castle at the time.

I've always wondered if time passes differently in Ponyland than it does in the human world. 

Ponyfan

That's very interesting about the baby sea ponies.  :) 

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »
Yeah, Majesty was in a couple of the US books. Off the top of my head, Majesty is in "My Little Pony Makes a Wish", where Spike 'borrows' her scepter to change the seasons to please his pony friends and makes a royal mess of things, and "Spike and the Magic Horseshoes" where Spike is feeling neglected and 'borrows' Majesty's magic shoes so he can turn invisible. There might be more but those are the only two I can remember off the top of my head.

However only a couple books aligned with MLP & Friends either (off the top of my head "Picnic at Paradise Estate" and "The Dance Recital").  Most of the books were made before MLP & Friends ever aired and featured Year 2 or Year 3 ponies.  Mostly Year 2, that was really MLP's heyday in the US.

But there were coloring books for a lot of the later years so they weren't totally neglected.

Oh yeah, Seaspray's boat!  I've got some scans of that:

I guess it was for long journeys?

I guess so.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »
It's unclear how time flows, but I want to say it's the same.  In Rescue, Megan was only away for a few hours, maybe a day.  Though, Midnight Castle itself seemed to warp time around it since they went from midnight to broad daylight once Tirac was destroyed.

Perhaps a better indication is "The End of Flutter Valley" as there is no sense of more time passing while Morning Glory and Sting were over in her world (if anything less time might have passed in the ponies' world).

Megan and her siblings were also only there for summer.  Pony Puppy, which spanned fall to spring was actually the first story not to feature Megan at all.  Which suggests they only visited during Summer Vacation.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:01:16 PM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »
I've always figured time ran differently in Ponyland to the real world - the old "hour inside, seconds outside" thing. Like Narnia. It just makes more sense to me -shrug-.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2017, 04:31:39 PM »
I've always figured time ran differently in Ponyland to the real world - the old "hour inside, seconds outside" thing. Like Narnia. It just makes more sense to me -shrug-.

I like that.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2017, 05:09:59 PM »
As I said, "The End of Flutter Valley" seems to shoot that full of holes.  Given how much time they were at Megan's ranch, days would have passed, but they were still almost to sunset like they had been from more than half the episode.  And that was the only episode that really visited Megan's world and had time as a factor.  "Baby It's Cold Outside" also showed things happening in Ponyland could affect Megan's ranch too.

The series was too short, and the writers probably didn't care.  Megan and her siblings were just some kids spending their summer break hanging out with ponies.  I personally think most of the episodes took place within the first part of The Magic Coins before the long stretch of fair weather was perceived as a threat.

Doing a timeline for the original series.  That would be fun.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2017, 05:16:54 PM »
So then how would Memory Lane fit into this time concept? With 'older ponies' being moved on into this fictional retirement home of a street...?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2017, 05:36:07 PM »
How often did we get to see the actual Memory Lane, and what actually happened there?  I don't remember reading any stories featuring it.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2017, 05:40:00 PM »
How often did we get to see the actual Memory Lane, and what actually happened there?  I don't remember reading any stories featuring it.

Ponies would go and visit older release ponies who lived there. I remember a story with Tootsie living there and others going to see her for some reason...but I wondered at what point ponies got shunted off there.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2017, 05:53:08 PM »
My guess is when Majesty tires of them.

Another to consider is that little line at the end of "The Trolls of the Castle of Darkness" by Twilight giving a sense that mortals are something else from ponies.  Kind of funny G1 ponies are able to survive the years so well compared to later generations

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »
As I said, "The End of Flutter Valley" seems to shoot that full of holes.  Given how much time they were at Megan's ranch, days would have passed, but they were still almost to sunset like they had been from more than half the episode.  And that was the only episode that really visited Megan's world and had time as a factor.  "Baby It's Cold Outside" also showed things happening in Ponyland could affect Megan's ranch too.

The series was too short, and the writers probably didn't care.  Megan and her siblings were just some kids spending their summer break hanging out with ponies.  I personally think most of the episodes took place within the first part of The Magic Coins before the long stretch of fair weather was perceived as a threat.

Doing a timeline for the original series.  That would be fun.

Well, like I said that's just what I like to think, if you think otherwise then good for you. -shrug- It's just a bit of fun, nothing serious.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2017, 11:42:35 AM »
True.

Something I've noticed is the U.K. Comic (and the backcards for that matter) can get very Mother Goose.  There is a man living on the moon (and must be related to the Wizard Wantall) and you reach it by traveling the Milky Way.  The sun literally smiles at you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal