collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Differences Between Cartoon and Comic Book Personalities  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Differences Between Cartoon and Comic Book Personalities
« on: June 20, 2017, 12:01:07 PM »
What are the differences between comic and cartoon personalities? Especially those who got very little story time in one or the other? :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 12:12:29 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Differences Between Cartoon and Comic Book Personalities
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:40:48 PM »
Comic Wind Whistler was light-hearted and sort of bubble-headed, not particularly known for her smarts.  She also didn't have cartoon Wind Whistler's trait of using big words. :)

"Winking out" wasn't a regular thing for unicorns in the comics.  Some ponies could teleport, but it wasn't called "winking out" and some of them were even earth ponies and such, like Parasol.

Cupcake liked to cook in both universes, so that was pretty similar.

Shady was a lot less whiny in the comics IMO.  Once or twice they mentioned that "Shady often thought she was bad luck", but mostly she just went off and did her own thing while wearing her magic sunglasses.

Paradise, Mimic, Ember, and some other ponies weren't in the UK comic because they weren't sold in the UK.

Comic Firefly was pretty similar to her "Firefly's Adventure" personality, daring and constantly doing aerial tricks.

Comic Twilight was shy and hid herself in mist during the day.

Comic Megan wasn't as "in charge" of the ponies as in the cartoon.  (Usually Majesty was firmly in charge.)

Comic Cotton Candy was "the ponyland nurse", although IMO she was more like a medicine woman or a straightout doctor than a 'nurse.'  She gathered herbs to heal sick ponies / woodland creatures.

Comic Sundance was clumsy, much like her Escape from Catrina self.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:44:21 PM »
That's pretty interesting Lady Moondancer thank you. Did other sets show up such as the Twice as Fancies or the wingers?

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 09:56:23 AM »
The nurse job was inherited. Gusty was the second nurse (she spent a lot of time with the baby ponies), a job that was then taken over by Lollipop (US:Sweet Tooth) and finally Caramel Crunch although she never had the official title of nurse.

I don't remember Shady ever saying or thinking she was bad luck in the comics, but I do have a couple of missing ones still. I think her character is closer to her US backcard story. She didn't have a story here except in the factfile. Baby Shady also had magic glasses and a boat named after her, captained by mice I think.

Lightning could also wink in and out.

Cupcake didn't exist in the pony comics, so she can't have had the same personality xD. She wasn't sold in the UK and she, Paradise and Truly never appeared in the comic, although others that weren't sold here did. I used to think Cupcake and Truly were made up for the animation.  I think maybe you're thinking of Gingerbread and Sweetie with all the cooking? They did a lot of cooking, generally together.

Fizzy was ditzy but it was more clumsy and awkward than in the cartoon. She was also a special pony, though. She had firework magic and always appeared around November, when we have Bonfire Night in the UK. That became "Fizziwhizz Night" in ponyland.

Sunbeam threw a lot of parties. She annoyed me because of that.

Firefly was way more stubborn and a lot less helpful. I remember she'd do silly things and need to be rescued, usually by Medley with Majesty's help. She was a daredevil though.

Mas*uerade (I have a broken letter key >.>) was the mistress of disguise. She loved dressing up in costume. She played a dragon, pony christmas, and other roles during her time in the comic.

Tootsie was a bit clumsy as well I think, also well meaning, whenever she said "Pollipop Latch" lollipops sprung up from the ground.

Lemon Drop liked holding show events and gymkhanas and things like that, and Peachy was a proper hairdresser, as was Kiss Curl. Those are obvious characters but ponies that didn't get a real US character?

Megan didn't really exist in the UK comics. She was in one or two episodes or stories but really was a nonevent. I only remember one proper story with her and the smooze and I don't remember her doing much else other than appearing occasionally in the background artwork of story scenes.

Wing Song was a dreamer and wrote music. She also found Paradise Estate, I think. Cloud Puff was possibly an even bigger dreamer.

I am trying to think of ponies that appeared in both the comics and the TV show, but it's hard as most of the characters I remember aren't in the animation. I know Powder and Sparkler were close friends (they have a whole adventure story together on the cassettes). Sparkler was something of a magpie for sparkling things, she collected them and Powder could turn things to ice.

The Party Ponies (UK name for TAF, set one) and all of the wingers are in the comics. We didn't have the TAF second set in the UK so no comics for them. What I remember for the Party Ponies is as follows:
Dancing Butterflies was a shy dancer who literally danced (beautifully) with the butterflies
I am sure Strawberry Fair (US: Sugarberry) had some kind of magic where she shook her mane and strawberries appeared.
I cannot remember for Milky Way. Lollipop (US: Sweet Tooth) was as I said the baby pony nurse. Love Melody was a singer, Up Up and Away definitely had balloon magic of some kind.

Off the top of my head the only thing I can remember for wingers is when Flurry was Pony Christmas...but I know they have stories about them. I just haven't read them for a long time.

Basically most every pony sold in the UK up until 93 plus a few of the early US ones appeared in the comic in some way between 85 and 94.

This is becoming a really long post, but I almost forgot the most important ones of all, the Princess Ponies. They had proper characters in the UK, they weren't just spoiled brats. Again, I have a broken key, so I hope this makes sense ;)

Pearl (US: Tiffany): She was the sensitive and gentle one, she cried wishing pearls.
A*uamarine (US: Serena): She was absent minded and a daydreamer
Amethyst (US: Sparkle): She was something of a well meaning busybody, always wanting to help, and always making it worse.
Sapphire (US: Royal Blue): She was the oldest and most responsible and clever of the Princesses (which is why her baby dragon was the youngest and most unsure of the dragons) and she was a good problem solver.
Ruby (US: Primrose): Was impatient and restless. She often used to say "Restless Rubies" when something annoyed her.
Amber (US: Starburst): For some reason I really don't remember Amber's personality. She did have one. I have a feeling she was a practical kind and she'd say that things were no problem, and that would be the trigger for them becoming a problem, but I don't totally recall...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 11:45:26 AM »
Good stuff. It's interesting to see how different some of them were, as well as getting other ponies in on the action that didn't get any development at all or were just there to be there . :) I always used to wonder why Shady had sunglasses as a kid.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 02:14:18 AM »
I should also add that the Mail Order versions of Ember were officially sold in the UK and via mail order (Chrissytree has proven this for sure now xD) but for some reason she didn't get into the comics :/ I am going to guess because she predated them, perhaps like Minty and Bluebelle who also don't appear.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:44:07 AM »
The story where Shady thinks she's bad luck is one of the annuals.  :)  It's a story about her finding a row of creepy face-doors and helping the gnomes or fairies or something who live behind them.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »
The story where Shady thinks she's bad luck is one of the annuals.  :)  It's a story about her finding a row of creepy face-doors and helping the gnomes or fairies or something who live behind them.

That sounds like a neat and creepy story.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 03:44:34 PM »

I have all of the annuals, but I don't remember that story. That means it was probably in one I got from a carboot sale and not from my childhood, as I would have remembered it otherwise.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 03:49:39 PM »
I just checked and it's in the 1988 annual. :)  Here's a link to it:  http://heckyeahponyscans.tumblr.com/post/144416540987

One of the weirder stories, but that only makes me like it more, lol.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 04:25:51 PM »
I was amazed when I was first introduced to the world of U.K. pony lore.  Really, the G1 show was only about the first release of So Soft and Twinkle Eyed ponies along with the other sets released around the same time.  The comic was able to cover just about everything during its run.  It's really changed my vision of what the G1 world is.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 12:59:47 AM »
I just checked and it's in the 1988 annual. :)  Here's a link to it:  http://heckyeahponyscans.tumblr.com/post/144416540987

One of the weirder stories, but that only makes me like it more, lol.

Hrm, I did have that annual as a kid, and I remember that story really clearly. But I guess it didn't register with me because it's such a throwaway line in the story. She's shown as brave and determined and arguing her case, not anything like the character in the animation. You made it sound like it was an ongoing theme in her story overall, but I really don't think that it was.

Do you have a scan of Cupcake appearing in the comic by the way? I think you may have more comics than I do in your collection, and she did appear on a clock here, but I can't remember her ever being in the comic and would be curious to see her if she did.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 08:54:23 AM »
Yeah, it's a throwaway line but I do think it's a reference to the cartoon or, more likely, the movie.  Like there was that whole scene about how Gusty was complaining that Shady was bad luck, and then Shady said her luck could change or something like that.  Because with her personality being so different in the comics, I don't know where else they would have pulled the idea of "Shady thinks she's bad luck" from.

Cupcake as in So-Soft Cupcake?  Hmm . . . I don't think I've ever seen her in a comic.  Which is odd because Lofty and a bunch of the other SS ponies were in it.  I'll keep an eye out for her just in case she snuck in. :)

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 09:28:45 AM »
It probably comes from her UK backcard. The Movie Star ponies have one line comments on the back of their own card and hers says something about bad luck.

I asked about Cupcake because you mentioned her before xd. I said above that I thought she didn't exist here, but if I missed the Shady one I thought maybe there was a Cupcake story I missed as well...

Lofty is more mysterious in her inclusion than Ribbon, since Ribbon I think was going to be sold here and was switched out for Gusty at the last minute, maybe because Hasbro realised they hadn't released the other set with Gusty in here and they felt she was a stronger character. In any case, Ribbon is mentioned on Megan and Sundance's card in 86 and also she's illustrated with the other movie star ponies on the artwork for the club (but Gusty isn't). It's all circumstantial but I think she was going to come out as a movie star pony but then ultimately didn't. Why Lofty is in the comics and Paradise, Cupcake (?) and Truly are not is a mystery to me though. Especially since Cupcake and Truly were sold and packaged on UK-printed card as regular ponies, even though they were not sold in the UK...

That's why I asked if I had missed Cupcake, because I remembered there was that UK alarm clock with her on it...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 09:31:57 AM »
I might have meant Gingerbread, I sometimes get her and Cupcake mixed up because of their pose and the fact that they're both food based.  ;)

*scrolls up* Oh yeah, I see where I said that.  Yeah, I definitely meant Gingerbread.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal