collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anybody left that grew up with G1 ponies?  (Read 9047 times)

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody left that grew up with G1 ponies?
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2017, 05:35:57 AM »
Another "old" collector here! I just turned 40 actually :) I am also one of the oldies in terms of the online community (started in 1998) but I wasn't as active as many. I still come and go, but I'm always a G1 fan!

I got my first pony, Cotton Candy, for Christmas in 1984. I was completely hooked from then on. My second pony was Parasol, who I picked out b/c she came with a brush AND A COMB but I was never that crazy about her. My collection grew with Year 3-5--I can remember how excited I was when the new commercials came out!--but by 1988 or so I was mainly interested in Year 2. The problem was that these ponies were long gone from the stores and I never went to yard sales, so how to get them??? I finally got rid of my collection (including original boxes, etc.--ugh) in 1994, in part b/c I figured I would never be able to complete my Year 2 main set b/c I had never ever seen Bubbles or Seashell in the wild. I did keep my original Cotton Candy. Little did I know the INTERNET would soon bring any pony or accessory I wanted within reach! After a truly magical moment of finding SEASHELL (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) at a charity attic sale, I got online to see if there was anything about MLP out there, and the rest . . . is history!

I have a very good memory and I supplied some of the info for the old Dream Valley site including the words to some of the early commercials. When I was little I had a catalog knowledge of each brush and ribbon that came with each pony, and once I got online my encyclopedic knowledge came in handy :)
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2017, 01:47:41 PM »
I forgot to mention in my post that I remember buying Baby Palm Tree at Walmart. I think I bought Baby Pearly also. I remember I made up a math problem about buying ponies and the other kids laughed at it.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2017, 08:11:31 PM »
Yep! I was born in the beginning of the line, so quite naturally my favorites are from year 5 and earlier... upset I was "too old" per my parents standard for ponies when the neat ones came out. The last one I remember buying with my own funds was Leafy & Luckyleaf.... hence my adult army! My first pony gift I remember was from my parents when they left me at my grandmas when they went on an anniversary getaway- It was Skydancer, the rainbows are another set of favorites.

Not a very good photo:visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have a few more in photobucket, but the quality is just as poor.
http://s591.photobucket.com/user/chipsterj/library/Collection/Childhood%20pony%20love?sort=3&page=1

I remember my mother asking me to select 15 ponies and the rest would be donated --- I picked the "cheap" ones. Only 5 of my childhood ones exist in my collection today.

I know I have a photo somewhere, looks like I'll need to re-take it!

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2017, 10:26:10 PM »
Another older collector. My first pony was in 1984 from my mom. It was Blue Bell whom I chose because she was my favorite color. After that it was off and on till I was twelve when my last store bought pony was purchased. She was Coco Berry from Toys R Us. My childhood herd was mostly Rainbow ponies and so soft ones.

My user name is a nod to my favorite pony which I never owned till I was an adult. As for posting here I've been a member since 2009.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2017, 01:37:09 AM »
@ Sky Rocket Sammie - I meant to say it before but I really like your sig image of the amazing Sky Rocket. She was one of my childhood ponies who I chose because I couldn't find Twinkler, but I came to really love her (and so did my sister, so we later had to find one for her too so she stopped stealing mine) xD.

The only image I have online for me as a child at present seems to be this one from my montage of old writing and stuff:

With Lullabye Nursery, of course, aged maybe six. I think it was 88.

I have a few other images but my family don't like me posting images of them online, so they don't get uploaded. Off to see if I have any more that don't contravene that...

Edit to add: I found or cut about a few, including the one with Baby Blossom who used to come places with me :D
Spoiler

The last one was Easter, probably 92 I think. I cut her out but in the original photo my sister was sitting to the right and she was very jealous that I got Sweet Notes that day. Another pony we since had to get for her as well as she never let Mum forget it!

All my other pictures have uncuttable other family members or friends in, so I can't post them.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:57:27 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2017, 07:20:50 AM »
I grew up with them. Only had one of the bride ponies and the Sweet Celebrations family my whole childhood but I still grew up with them. I remember being kind of envious of my cousin's long flat plastic container that was just filled with ponies and loving her So Softs.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »
I wish I had pics of me with my ponies. I have sad picture of my Lullabye Nursery in the box after my house was damaged, I've tried to cut everything out before but the nursery  box becomes so blurred you can't see it. I can post it though if anyone is interested though. :)  Here's a pic of me in the MLP costume.

My Little Pony Costume by LovesBarbie, on Flickr

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »
These are from my childhood... I even photographed the initials on their feet!
Surprisingly they are in excellent shape too.
Kept one of each species too????

I didn't even dust them before taking the photo!

Offline MoonstoneFluff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • I <3 Ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2017, 07:54:52 AM »
*shyly raises hand*

I did.  Though i only had one as a kid, it was always my favorite part of the toy store to visit. Being surrounded by all those soft inviting colors made me so happy.
Formerly known as HelloKuma

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2017, 09:11:27 AM »
I can't remember if I posted here already but in case I didn't I'll post.  I was born in 1984 so I was two years after MLP first began.  I don't think I even watch the show until early 90's, because before that it was lots of Nick Jr. and Barney, etc.

I remember being at Woolworth's and my Mom telling me to pick out a pony and I picked Princess Royal blue because I liked her colors and I asked if I could pick out a baby too and she had me pick out teeny tiny baby little whiskers because she said she was pretty.  I know that sounds weird that my Mom had me pick out but she kept hinting at me to pick that one and back then I was so eager to please my parents.  I mean I am still just not as much.  :biggrin:

Later on my Mom's used-to-be friend from work had two daughters who would come over to our house sometimes and one of them brought over several ponies for me to pick from that she didn't want anymore.
They were all G1's obviously.  I think that brought my total to 6 or 7.  I remember they had one of the giant newborn ponies too and I think one of the fashion fillies with lip gloss inside the symbol.  I really wanted one of those giant newborns but never got one.

When I was around 14 we were moving to another state and I gave my ponies to a little girl who I would play with sometimes in my neighborhood.  She was a few years younger than I was.  I thought I was too old for them.  We eventually moved back to the state I live in now and had forgotten I gave away my ponies and regretted it, not for the ponies themselves but mostly for the memories I had with them.  My Princess Royal Blue had grass stains on her hooves from my playing with her in the grass so much.

Offline Tiny_Bubbles

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Safety lights are for dudes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2017, 09:12:37 AM »
I did! Blossom was my first pony, and I remember picking her out at the now-defunct Nichol's department store. My parents gave me the Show Stable for a birthday gift, and I saved up my pennies to buy the Waterfall playset, but had just a handful of ponies: Blossom, Applejack, Bow Tie, Moondancer, Powder, Starshine, Sprinkles, Megan & Sundance, Baby Blossom, and Lemon Drop. I still have a few of my childhood ponies left. :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »
You guys were such cute little kids!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2017, 10:18:17 AM »
Everybody's pictures I keep saying that is so adorable. :)

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2017, 12:25:16 PM »
I was born 1980 and had ponies my entire life starting with flat foot peachy and parlour.....had a ton...still have them....lol...turning 37 in August....so I have been a pony collector my whole life....never will fall out of love with them....:)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2017, 02:30:27 PM »
I did but second-handidly.  I was born in '87 so I don't really remember the 80s obviously, but I did have a herd of approximately 10-20 ponies and played with them endlessly during the 90s.  My mom says that she is pretty sure that I did get ponies straight from the store, however, I do not remember that at all.  I did find a picture with one of my older brothers holding Gusty at Christmastime so maybe she was thinking of that.  I did have Gusty in my collection, so I am guessing it was actually his.  The only MLP related items I remember (somewhat) taking out of packaging as a kid was the Persian My Little Kitty and 2 sets or so of petites.  I really wish I could remember seeing them in the toy aisles!

Most of my ponies came from garage/rummage sales, flea markets and thrift stores.  I can specifically remember getting Locket, Baby Shady, Creamsicle, Medley, and Tropical Breeze this way.  My maternal gramma would also look for them for me and my younger cousin; we would each pick some out by taking turns.  I was always so jealous of my cousin's collection because she got her older sister's whole collection as hand-me-downs.  Her collection was considerably bigger than mine as it was her sister's favorite toy when she was little.  She had the Nursery, Baby Bonnet School of Dance, and lots of ponywear and accessories.  Her sister also had the Sweet Shoppe and Show Stable but those were at our gramma's for some reason (as were many of my brothers' and cousins' vintage toys like Star Wars, MotU and PoP, etc) so I could play with those anytime I was there, which was a lot.  I actually recently found a picture of myself playing with some ponies and the Show Stable there. 

Minus the occasional squabble with my cousin over who got which pony, I have may happy memories.  At one point though, as I got older and was focused more on 90s toys like Puppy in My Pocket, LPS, my dollhouse, Grand Champions, Kitchen Littles, and Puppy/Pony/Kitty Surprise, I "lost" them for awhile as my mom was constantly putting things that she did not want in the house in plastic garbage cans and storing them in the attic of the shed/clubhouse.  Thankfully, I found them at the bottom of a bin one day, minus a few like Firefly and Heart Throb.

When G2 came out I was a tween and after the first year, started the "I am to old for ponies" phase at which time I gave my cousin all of my ponies G1 and G2.  My freshman year of high school I really regretted it and asked to have them back, and luckily she agreed.  I then collected intermittently (including G3 my senior year of high school) until my senior year of college when I jumped back into full time collecting again.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 02:40:42 PM by nessa16 »

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal