collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anybody left that grew up with G1 ponies?  (Read 8969 times)

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody left that grew up with G1 ponies?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 04:50:25 AM »
Don't let my avatar fool you, I just think she is cute.  I am a collector of g1 ponies.  I bought Firefly way back in the day with my own allowance money.  Glory followed as soon as the local discount store (Pragne Way, which no longer exists) got her in.  I must have been 7 or 8 at the time and my interest only lasted through year 3 or 4.  I did have the castle, parlor, waterfall, and show stable and about 30 other ponies total.  I remember getting the collector set in the mail after sending in my points and money.  That was pretty exciting.  Then about 5 years ago, pony nostalgia hit me and what a ride it has been  ^.^
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 05:22:04 AM »
Me!!!
My first ponies were NBBE Ribbons and Galaxy. Growing up I had only 32 ponies, as my parents always complained they all looked exactly the same. My mother had a friend, and her daughter had over 100 at that time, and even Paradise Estate. I remember how much I loved it when my parents arranged dinner at that family's house. The two of us spent hours playing with her treasures. I was so jealous.
When I was finally able to justify spending so much money on Paradise Estate a few years ago, I became one of the happiest pony people in the world.

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 07:34:41 AM »
Yep!  I did!  Wish I had the pics here to post.  I'll have to get them from my mom! 

Posey, Starshine, and Princess Primrose are the earliest ones I remember having.  I had about 40 as a kid plus the lavender dream castle.  Still have them all!  My Dad worked for Wal-Mart when I was young and I'd get to pick a new pony when we went to town to see him at the store! 

A few of my pony acquiring memories are buying the Apple Delight Family at Toys R Us (back when that store was just HUUUUUGE long aisles of toys that stretched as far as you could see and as high as the sky!).  That was amazing for me because I'd never even seen a boy pony before!  He ended up being the only boy I ever had as a kid.  I got SHS Flower Dream at WM, Baby Princess Sparkle/Buggy at KBToys at the mall, and the blue mermaid G1 at a travel center on the way to see my grandparents.  My mom almost didn't let me get the mermaid because it was overpriced at the gas station.  Glad I did it, anyway!  I also remember the day my Kelloggs baby FINALLY came in the mail!  WOO!

Offline BlueBelle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 07:36:07 AM »
Me too!!  :biggrin:
I was around 5 when they first came out so I got years of G1 bliss. LOL
I can still remember seeing them in the store and the new smell.  :)
And oh the fun of the mail orders! And collecting the horseshoe points!
And all the choices and how I wanted them all! LOL
I didn't get them all obviously, but being an only child I did pretty well.  ;)

I still have almost all the ones I grew up with as well plus the play sets. A couple ponies disappeared after so many years and some accessories as well. But gosh it's pretty impressive what I do have considering how long I've had them and how many times I've moved since then. LOL
BlueBelle was my first of course and then the rest of the originals. It was only the beginning. Soooo many wonderful memories!  :biggrin:

I also still have a lot of my Rainbow Brite stuff, Carebears and several other miscellaneous toys from the 80s. What a wonderful era for toys!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:39:53 AM by BlueBelle »

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 12:18:19 PM »
I was more of a 90s kid (since I was only barely conscious in the 80s, LOL!), but I definitely have memories of growing up with G1!! My collection from childhood was primarily the later lines of G1, like the neon and tropical type ponies, but I had a babysitter who was a neighbor too, and she was basically a proto adult collector! She had TONS of ponies, and before she and her family moved away, she gave me a bunch of ponies from her collection! So even though I personally received mostly 90s ponies new, I also owned quite a few 'old' ponies, too, like Blue Belle and Glory and Moondancer! They were produced before I was even born, but they were some of my favorites! :heart:

What a fun thread!! I can't wait to go back and read through all the other responses! :heart:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline KC8114

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »
ME!!!  I remember doing extra chores around the house so that I could buy new ponies haha
Thank you aluke for my lovely avatar!!

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 12:42:23 PM »
As a kid I played almost exclusively with MLP (G1) and Legos.  My sister and I had about 52 ponies between us (now we both have lots more!). 

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 01:10:27 PM »
I had a little bit of everything when it came to toys as a kid, but the big three were art supplies, Lego and My Little Pony.  Those were always at the top of my birthday or christmas lists. 

First pony was Applejack or possibly Cotton Candy, but I do remember Applejack for certain.  Didn't have much in the way of playsets; Lullabye Nursery, Brush Me Beautiful Boutique, Poof n' Puff Palace and the two baby buggies, and I mostly had baby ponies rather than full sized ones - kid!me loved the accessories they came packaged with.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2017, 01:37:02 PM »
I grew up with G1 ponies! Unfortunately I was at the tail (get it pony tail) end of G1. So they are what I would consider my childhood ponies but I was limited in purchasing them (I was 3 in 1991 when I got my first pony and they stopped making them in the US). I believe since I loved G1 so much and tried to get them when I could barely find any in stores... it was partially what helped fuel the collecting urge. G2 I would still count as growing up but I was kind old at the time (10 years old) so they were always secondary in my herd to the G1. G3 for me was the major "collecting" time, I was old enough to transition to full collector. :D

But overall... I grew up on G1 ponies.

I'm glad this thread was created. I was starting to feel so old seeing how many replies were on the G3 thread. XD I'm so glad we have so many young collectors now though! :D
~Foxtale~

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2017, 01:46:47 PM »
I grew up with G1 ponies! Unfortunately I was at the tail (get it pony tail) end of G1. So they are what I would consider my childhood ponies but I was limited in purchasing them (I was 3 in 1991 when I got my first pony and they stopped making them in the US). I believe since I loved G1 so much and tried to get them when I could barely find any in stores... it was partially what helped fuel the collecting urge. G2 I would still count as growing up but I was kind old at the time (10 years old) so they were always secondary in my herd to the G1. G3 for me was the major "collecting" time, I was old enough to transition to full collector. :D

But overall... I grew up on G1 ponies.

I'm glad this thread was created. I was starting to feel so old seeing how many replies were on the G3 thread. XD I'm so glad we have so many young collectors now though! :D

*Cue rimshot*
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2017, 06:58:41 PM »
*grins and waves* my first ponies came from my great grandmother; she gave me Powder and Sky Flier for Christmas, and they started an obsession, haha!  I used to go with one of my Grandmas to yard sales every other Saturday, and I would get a whole $5 to spend...that added up to a LOT of ponies, haha!  I did get new ponies on birthdays and holidays, but just as many, if not more, were yard sale rescues. :)  here's a pic from about 1994, I think:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My little sis had got hold of them and was playing with them in a giant mud puddle, so I was trying to clean them all up.

So in a lot of ways, haha, I have an advantage for pony hunting: I have a lot of practice(30+ years...wait, when did I get that old?!?) at spotting a whisp of hair or a sad eye or hoof peeking out of a box!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:02:47 PM by lunar_scythe »
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2017, 09:44:46 PM »
I was a kid back then, and a pre-teen when G2 came out. So I got to live both times. :)

Thank you :heart:

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2017, 12:12:00 AM »
Yep :)  I got my first pony Bow Tie when I was either four or five... I'm nearly 37 now... so getting up there  :lookround: (omg... that number looks really old when I write it like that!!  :shocked:  )

My Little Ponies were by far and way my most favourite and cherished toys. I still have most of my childhood ponies - sold off a couple when I first started collecting as an adult. Of course I later regretted it, so those ponies (not my original ones though) have rejoined the herd. I remember vividly ponies in stores - and buying TAF Buttons (my brother and I were allowed to pick a toy from The Toy Warehouse).
I remember mum saying, are you sure, love? She's a bit on the ugly side.... LOL!!!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2017, 05:54:47 AM »
Late to the party thanks to bad wifi at my hotel for my conference, but coming in now :)

First pony in '84. Windy. Rainbow Pony. I had a few over the next few years and it exploded from about 87. I had 66 ponies when MLP ended in '94. We then discovered a clearance store in '94-5 and also started carbooting, so added about another 300 or more over the next few years, either second hand or from that clearance store. First discovered the online pony community in 97, and the rest is history.

So I guess I'm still growing up with them ;)

Bad but fairly old picture from the mid 90s, depicting my childhood collection ponies. There should be 66, though that includes two petites and a charm which may not be visible. They are there, between the sea ponies, but you really have to look...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2017, 09:51:19 AM »
I grew up with G1 as well. I have home videos of me running around with Peachy as a toddler watching rainbow brite with my sister. I have a deep unending love of everything gen one and I still have my childhood peachy to this day. Her hair is thin, she's been chewed on my me and multiple pets, but she'll never leave me!

I need to do a proper photoshoot of her. Maybe I'll get my daughter to do it with me today <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal