collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anybody left that grew up with G1 ponies?  (Read 9063 times)

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
Re: Anybody left that grew up with G1 ponies?
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 09:54:25 AM »
Aww I love seeing these old pics <3

Im an old collector too, 35yo (born in 1982) and I grew up with G1 of course :) My first pony wasnt a G1 though, it was a fakie Mommy and Baby set and / or a Remco rainbow pony, im not sure which one came first. That was Easter 1986 <3
I always asked for ponies when it ame to birthdays and christmas and so on and I had a pretty nice herd back then. My favourite ponies as a kid were Sugar Sweet and Sugar Apple <3

Still have most of them and love them to pieces!!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »
We have an adorable home video of my sister (aged about seven?) telling Dad very seriously about all of our recent carboot sale finds and all about each pony. My sister has always been small for her age and at that point she was really very cute indeed.

I sometimes think my sister was doubly lucky because she was born in 87, grew up with my ponies then had her own at age 3, and then for most of her childhood (at least from when she was about 7) we went to carboot sales and picked up cheap new ponies every week. She also benefitted from trading because I traded for her as well as for me, and we shared the cost of carboot trade ponies. By the time she started secondary school she had about 200 ponies because of this. How nice a childhood that must have been, to have the possibility of a new pony from any time period or even overseas almost every week...

@Einhornbaby, did you have Baby Blossom as a childhood pony too? :D You and I are the same age.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2017, 10:12:41 AM »
@Einhornbaby, did you have Baby Blossom as a childhood pony too? :D You and I are the same age.

how cool :) Do you have a pic of yours? I have the straight haired version, see :

Bought her from a flea market back then (still vivdly remember which one and who was with me, lol). I wanted her SOOO badly for years but she was out of stores already when I heard of her. You cant imagine how amazed I was to get her when it happened <3 :D Lol and I remember my friend giving me a strange look when I showed her Baby Blossom, haha. She was like "Whats that boring thing??" :P

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2017, 10:15:24 AM »
I totally did!  My older sister and I didn't have hundreds, but we had about a dozen between us, and when my little sister finally rolled around- she had even more!  Thanks to her we had a few from a longer span of years than we might otherwise have... unfortunately she then turned to Barbie.

Even after I hit the age where it was no longer cool to like ponies- I still had baby Moondancer and baby Cotton Candy on my desk for ages up through high school even... 

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2017, 10:20:53 AM »
Tons of us, it most have migrated to FB. I cannot say much as I have too.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2017, 10:26:16 AM »

how cool :) Do you have a pic of yours? I have the straight haired version, see :

Bought her from a flea market back then (still vivdly remember which one and who was with me, lol). I wanted her SOOO badly for years but she was out of stores already when I heard of her. You cant imagine how amazed I was to get her when it happened <3 :D Lol and I remember my friend giving me a strange look when I showed her Baby Blossom, haha. She was like "Whats that boring thing??" :P

Mine has seen so many adventures with me I literally have no idea what version she was originally xD. She was my second pony, I was three years old, and she was the one that triggered me into really liking MLP. I think she's adorable, though. I always really loved her. I have a picture of me with my Gran and my mum and I'm holding her in the photo. I was probably about four or five in that picture, and I was still taking her all over.

This is her as she is now. Looking at her I think she may be straight-haired, but not many of my early childhood curly ponies still have curls, so it's hard to be sure. I'm sure she's faded a lot too over the years xD.

I managed to get a MIB (UK box) one some years ago, and the colour difference is a bit scary ;)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 10:47:38 AM »
I grew up with G1 as well. I have home videos of me running around with Peachy as a toddler watching rainbow brite with my sister. I have a deep unending love of everything gen one and I still have my childhood peachy to this day. Her hair is thin, she's been chewed on my me and multiple pets, but she'll never leave me!

I need to do a proper photoshoot of her. Maybe I'll get my daughter to do it with me today <3

She looks so cute like an old lady all she needs is a stylish hat :) maybe the tea party pony wear? with a tea set would look cute. :)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
I love reading these!  Some of your stories are a little sad though.

I think G1 year 2 and 3 were the days when I longed to own every pony and I spent all my time wishing I could go to pony land.  Knowing I couldn't broke my heart.  Growing up is hard sometimes!
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Saoirse

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Part time collector, Full time addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2017, 10:56:02 AM »
Me! My dad bought me my first mlp in 1988 when I was 4, and the addiction started lol!

Whenever I feel old I just look at my original 6 and think, 'they're older than me" :lol:

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2017, 12:55:53 PM »
Thanks SkyCakes! I actually REALLY want that set for her, but I can never find it when I have the money. Maybe I can trade for it with some ponies I have in my trade bin but- that's a nicer and harder to complete pony wear set.

-if anyone has it for sale or trade, give me a poke?-

Also, I agree with the thread having a bittersweet feel to it. To add further angst, I'll share a poem I wrote about growing up and mlp when I was just turning 20 nearly 13 years ago now.

In memory of Pony Land
a place I often sought
the place seemed long abandoned
but I never quite forgot
Flutter Valley caught my eye
wings that beckoned me
the playtime’s songs and innocence
of Lullaby Nursery
And times spent within the walls
of dream castle fresh in mind
Majesty there by my side
a place I could always find
Growing up takes some time
but it didn’t take long enough
I used to say ‘I want to grow up’
and then fate called my bluff
I stare at lifeless ponies
all lined up for show
tears slipping from my eyes
unable to let go
The world moves on around me
still I cling to the past
hold dearly to to my little ponies
to make those freedoms last
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:01:15 PM by kissthethunder »

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2017, 01:56:55 PM »
Thanks SkyCakes! I actually REALLY want that set for her, but I can never find it when I have the money. Maybe I can trade for it with some ponies I have in my trade bin but- that's a nicer and harder to complete pony wear set.

I only have an extra hat and the shoes.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2017, 01:59:11 PM »

I only have an extra hat and the shoes.

I'll note you <3

Offline icecreamgirl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2017, 05:51:22 AM »
Yep I did, my first pony was Bluebelle. I was quite old though when they first realeased my little pony so I only collected for the first few years as I grew out of them!!
Luckily I still have my childhood heard  :)
Thanks to lunar_scythe & kittywhiskers for my adoptables

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2017, 06:12:26 AM »
I grew up with the classic ponies :) Even though I had the right age when they came out I didn't know they existed until 1986 but I fell in love with them from the first time I saw one. My first pony was Cotton Candy. From 1988 I got really pony crazy. I played with them on a daily basis and I remember going to the toy store every once in a while to buy a new pony or two. I never grew out of them and was very sad when they disappeared from the stores. I never stopped looking for them though and years later I found the second generation. Even though I had reached adulthood by then I am a forever kid so I guess you can say I have continued growing up with the following generations too.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2017, 07:27:36 AM »
Over here! :happy:

I was born in '87, so I was a bit late to join the fun. However, things are always behind in The Netherlands, so that was my luck! I got my first pony for my 4th birthday, Kisscurl, and Squirmy followed soon. I was hooked, and pony's became my life until I was about 10. :newpony:

He knows that they're the fool...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal