collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anybody left that grew up with G1 ponies?  (Read 8968 times)

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody left that grew up with G1 ponies?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 05:28:26 PM »
I did! But I only had one pony until G2 came out. I loved all my ponies though! My beloved Star Hopper slept on my bed next to my pillow every night, so when I opened my eyes I'd see her first in the morning.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 05:41:15 PM »
Yes I grew up with the original ponies! I don't remember them so well though I do know I had a fair number maybe around 30. I had to donate most of them but I still have 6 from my childhood herd. I collect all the generations but G1 is the best for designs and nostalgia. Sometimes I stop collecting and leave the community but I always come back haha

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 07:06:02 PM »
Me!!! I have a couple pics of my sister and I, I'm the older one.

I have my and my sister's childhood collection. Missing a few things because my sister had a teen pregnancy and lived at home until my niece was 8. So unfortunately for me, my niece got all our old toys and my sister is not sentimental and doesn't keep much. Luckily for me I was a collector in my teens until I moved out around 20, shortly after my niece was born. So MOST of the ponies and things like my care bears were packed away in my boxes in the garage until I had space for them one day. She did end up with a lot of them though and I was able to rescue some as she grew out of them but many are sadly missing so I think they got donated. I was part of the online community back in the late 90's early 2000's too but don't remember if I was very active. Started collecting again in 2011 when my daughter was 4 and I brought out my old ponies for her to play with. Then I realized I wasn't done with them and bought her some G4's instead and started my collecting again.

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 07:26:57 PM »
For some reason I thought MLPs were silly when they first came out.  Then I got Gusty and the Best of the West outfit one day when shopping with my Granny and I was hooked.  I'd spend a lot of time looking throught the leaflet that had drawings of all the ponies available at the time.  The illustrations were so pretty.   Soon Applejack,  Pinwheel, Windy, Sunlight and many others joined the herd.   Then one day my mom bought me the Pretty Parlour for either a birthday or Christmas and I loved that set.  (sold it a few years later but as an adult I regretted it and bought another one from an Arena member).  Money was very tight so I'd comb garage sales hoping to find some more ponies for cheaper than the stores and I often had success.
I've collected for around 33 years now and  I still have all my childhood ponies plus others from G2's to the current G4's so my herd is around 300 with most being G1's.   

In one of those funny, who would have thought things...   A close friend of mine turns out to know one of the original G1 sculptors,  Kirk Hindman.   Small world!   I eventually got to meet him and have a signed Bubbles on one of my pony shelves.    Very cool guy and his wife is very nice as well.  Spent a good amount of time chatting and traded numbers to keep in touch. 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 10:25:25 PM »
You mean a good chunk of the arena? ;) Yeah for sure I did. I had ponies at a very young age. I believe Windy was my first. I watched the cartoons and my mom decided around 12 I was too old for ponies and gave them to charity.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 10:28:20 PM »
Me!! I purchased g1s in store! I can still smell them lol
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 12:40:19 AM »
*raises hand* I'm one of the oldies too. I started with Snuzzle and later Minty and a couple of outfits (Pony Royal and Parade Pizzazz) I still remember how excited I was to have them. I remember when I got Snuzzle I didn't even know what MLP was, (being like four or five) but once I had her and knew there was more I wanted any and all I could get and when Minty came home with clothing for both of them to wear I felt on top of the world.
I still have most of my collection from childhood and Snuzzle and Minty now hang out close to my bed rather than in it like they did when I was little.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 04:16:14 AM »
Oooooo! Yes! Me too! I did!  :biggrin:

And I loved them from the first two ponies my parents bought for me when we went on holiday one year (Bubbles and Bowtie). I had a (very) large childhood herd that went with me everywhere and I would play with them at my best friend's house too. She also had ponies, only different ones to me. I actually remember which ponies she had now, whereas she has forgotten. I also remember really wanting Hopscotch, who another friend of mine had, but I didn't. Most of my childhood ponies inexplicably vanished in between our many moves. Short story is: they were supposed to be in one of the four boxes jealously hoarded and carefully kept safe. But were not. Big scar.

However I was right in there at the starting line as it were, and so had moved on somewhat before the G2 ponies came out and have only now become aware of many G1's. I always wanted, but never managed to own a TE pony, a flutter pony and a Big Brother pony. One had to wait for people to give you these things when one was a child and we did not have car boot sales etc. here in SA.

So all in all I suppose it is not terribly surprising that, as an adult, I have come back to ponies. And, when we had a room converted into a library, I designed a special cabinet for displaying my ponies. On hindsight it should have been much bigger of course  ;)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 07:00:36 AM »
I love reading these stories :D

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 07:26:33 AM »
If they'd been around in the sixties, my best friend and I would have been completely into MLP. But alas. I am so much enjoying reading your stories!

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 07:58:01 AM »
I love reading these stories :D

Its one of those mods save this thread because its awesome. :) I feel very nostalgic now.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 08:14:16 AM »
Still here!  I have all my childhood herd but one.  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 08:18:01 AM »
yep. still alive and kickin.

my sisters had Magic Star and another So Soft, and some MLP "Softies".  They also had the Baby Bonnet School of Dance which was fun.  I also remember we had a family set of purple sparkly fakies that were included in our G1 adventures.

Funny thing - my sisters don't remember much of this.   Aw well. Good memories anyway.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 09:49:14 PM »
I had a few.  :)  Ponies weren't really my thing but I managed to snag a few.

My older sister had Glory, who lived pristinely on her bookshelves until the day she donated her.  I'm still kicking myself for not asking to take her, but I wasn't into ponies at the time.  However, I still have her sticker.

I, on the other hand, had SS Windwhistler as a Christmas present when I was four (and promptly lost at the mall not long after.)  I also recieved Raincurl when I was six; still have her.  Finally, at some point in childhood, I received Sundance secondhand but I don't remember when this was.  Probably when I was ten or eleven.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 10:33:46 PM »
I got Baby Glory when I was five. One year for Christmas my sister and I each got a princess.  Mine was a unicorn and hers was just an earth pony, so my princess was always better in my eyes, which was important since I was younger and always felt like I got hand-me-downs and the stuff she didn't want.  My older sister always seemed to have better ponies than me (by that I mean she had a pegasus and so softs and I didn't have any) so one year for Christmas I got the Party Pack and I was SO excited because it had a So Soft Pegasus AND a Flutter pony but then my parents said they forgot to take those two out because they were going to give them to my sister.  I know I told them I was okay with it but really I was sad.  They took the two best ponies out of the pack and gave them to my sister (who eventually broke the Flutter wings, which is what my parents figured I'd do with it).  Even through multiple moves I kept my ponies and my sister's once she got tired of them.  I went through a long phase where I wasn't really into them, but I still kept them and now I'm glad that I did.  I have given my sister some of her ponies back to give to her daughter but I have duplicates of the ones she took back so it's not a huge deal.  (And yes, I did get back both the So-Soft and Flutter that should have been mine in the first place!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal