collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The history of our ponyland.  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: The history of our ponyland.
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 10:26:04 AM »
*wipes tear from eyes* oh it smells like pony smell in this nostalgic place!

Of course it does! Good old pony smell smells like nostalgia.

@ Kisscurl - if you can get it to work it would be fun to see screen captures of it. I remember it very clearly but I don't know where my copy is, if I still even have it. A lot of time has passed!

Geocities does seem to be the black hole. I have found traces of angelfire sites and tripod sites but geocities not so much. Plus the wayback requires actual URLs which makes it more challenging.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »
oooh yesss I miss Geocities :( I wish they'd left the sites up when they shut it down. Reocities.com, Oocities.org and Geocities.ws are some Geocities archives if anyone's looking for old Geocities sites btw, if you have the url you can just replace the 'geocities.com' with one of those (so reocities.com/example instead of geocities.com/example) and see if they have it. I've found a few sites on there that Wayback Machine either didn't have, or had incomplete copies of, etc.

And yes knowing the url is tricky :( There's so many sites that I'd love to see again, but have no idea what the exact url was..

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 11:26:37 AM »
That was how I found Moondancer's Dream, but for some there is an active block on the site. That's why I couldn't get Dream Castle. :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 11:38:40 AM »
ah, did Dream Castle get hit by a robots.txt that blocks Wayback Machine? That's the worst >_< Especially when the robots.txt wasn't put in place by the original site owner, but someone who later bought the domain (if that makes sense?), that's happened to a few sites I liked.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 11:51:21 AM »
ah, did Dream Castle get hit by a robots.txt that blocks Wayback Machine? That's the worst >_< Especially when the robots.txt wasn't put in place by the original site owner, but someone who later bought the domain (if that makes sense?), that's happened to a few sites I liked.

Yeah. Unless anyone knows another way in, that one is gone ><
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 04:35:31 PM »

The thing is the sites are still there in the archive we just can't access them. I've heard they are considering ignoring robots.txt for sites that weren't blocked in the past.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 05:36:42 PM »

The thing is the sites are still there in the archive we just can't access them. I've heard they are considering ignoring robots.txt for sites that weren't blocked in the past.

Ohhh, that would be awesome if they did that. I mean, it's alright for people who genuinely don't want their sites archived for whatever reason (it sucks for us, but I understand everyone has their own reasons for stuff like that), but like I say, sometimes stuff gets blocked unfairly :/

edit: Also just a tip to everyone, in general, if you find something you love on the Wayback Machine - SAVE IT. It's a great site but it's unpredictable, and sometimes stuff gets taken down. Just found out another site I wanted to save stuff off but didn't have the time to before has been "excluded" and I'm crushed >____<
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:11:16 AM by Carrehz »

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 04:29:51 AM »
Thanks so much for this Taffeta.  I was just panicking over the loss of all the old stuff that I never got to see and it means a lot to me that you and others are so vigilant.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 09:43:12 AM »
I am sure there is way more stuff out there and if I was more patient or didn't have to translate odd sections of Japanese literature so I could begin my thesis chapter I might have been able to dig them out too. Suffice it to say if you are creative and start with a well known site, you can find a fair bit, even if you only can see how main pages looked.

I think there are about five different versions of my site alone on the wayback. It's a bit galling for me as a historian that most of the time the saved pages are relocation pages that say "the scrapbook has moved", but it's also nice to know that in some cases bits of my contribution to the community years ago are still preserved.

I wish that the mailing list archives all still existed. The Jem community list, before the mods closed it, had everything transferred to an external archive site to preserve it even though the list itself was gone. I wish someone had done that with ponypeople and Dreamvalley lists. I know I have most of the emails from those on ancient archives from very long since lost computer backups, but no idea how I'd even run the disk, let alone open the files now :/ And that is sad, as it would be like looking at a place like this, only eighteen years or so into the past.

I can't believe I forgot about International Pony Day. It was discussed so much at the time.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 10:10:48 AM »
Taffeta, you are inspiring me to go through my computer records and see if there is ANYTHING that I may still have tucked away. 

I know that I have printouts of the site that used to be MyLittlePonyCollector - they had great checklists.  They were also mirrored on Allelenet or something like like that...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 10:41:12 AM »
I swear that if I had time, I would actually try and create an archive of stuff from our history as a community, a sort of ancient hall of fame for websites, ideas, people...but I really don't have time. I have enough work to do on the Scrapbook as well as my other commitments, but if at the very least some stuff gets posted in this thread, it is proof that we haven't forgotten our roots and can still share them with new friends :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 12:43:07 PM »
Kinda makes me wonder if some sites are going to be future lost civilizations of the 21st century someday.

Offline Archer

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 03:35:03 PM »
God i remember the Ring Of Rainbows :D I used to go through that looking for pony sites :D I remember back when i first got into MLP back in the early 2000's and i think i went through Moondancers Dream website and saved every bit of pony art i could find because i loved finding artwork of the ponies :D I especially used to hunt through sites for pictures of the ponies i had in my collection :D

In fact i still have a CD somewhere where i backed it all up to :)

I also remember the UK mailing list that i think was set up by Tic Tac Toe :) I remember the old TP and all the discussions about when G3 were first teased as the first few pictures (if i remember right) of the original 8 were quite small and i remember a degree of excitement about them because they looked more like the G1 ponies than the G2's did :)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2017, 05:20:03 PM »
TTT's mailing list still technically exists. Every so often it sends out a notification and verrry occasionally people post to it, but not so often now. That means it's probably all there in archive form, from way back when. I haven't tried to look though.

I absolutely remember that discussion about the first G3. The four 'rainbow' ponies and the four...I don't know what they were, but others...sparkle ponies? Four with tinsel (Kimono, Sparkleworks, Pinkie Pie and..?) and four with multicoloured hair (Dash, Sunny Daze, Wisteria and ?) There was a huge amount of hype over them when the images first surfaced.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 10:37:56 AM »
Kinda makes me wonder if some sites are going to be future lost civilizations of the 21st century someday.

"65 million years after the disappearance of the dinosaurs, the first signs of civilization emerged with the ancient city of Pony, as seen here in these early and incomplete fossils...."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal