collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help Cleaning a Possibly Moldy Plush  (Read 471 times)

Offline Motion-Paradox

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Help Cleaning a Possibly Moldy Plush
« on: June 14, 2017, 08:21:50 PM »
I hope this is the right place for it

I have a chance to buy a plush of a character I like, but the doll has one issue with it; there's a dirty patch on it that the seller believes is mold. Now it doesn't seem that big, the largest spot looks like it would be half the size of a pony bead (It's an auction), and the way it's posed would make it difficult to see while it's displayed, but I'd like to get rid of the mold and I'm not sure how to clean it away.

It was made by Banpresto in the late 90s, if you've ever seen a plush of a human anime character with the slightly fuzzy fabric for the skin and very short haired fabric for the hair, that's what it is, with the possible mold being on the leg (so the slightly fuzzy fabric). There may be a little on the foot too (the shoes are the very short haired fabric), but it's hard to tell from the photos, either way how do I clean it without damaging the fabric? Preferably without machine washing it or using any bleach.

I have quite a bit of experience sewing plush toys, so I can unpick the stitching on the leg to clean the fabric better and replace the cotton, I just can't replace the fabric since I have no idea where to buy it.

Any help would be great, I know it seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a doll, but the series is a bit obscure and there isn't very much in the way of accurate merchandise of the character, so I'd really love to buy it
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 08:58:45 PM by Motion-Paradox »

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Help Cleaning a Possibly Moldy Plush
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 09:36:05 AM »
I've had success with mold removal from plush simply using Dawn dish soap and lots of rinsing with water. Then drying with a hairdryer. Nothing has returned so far at least.

Bleach will kill the mold but would probably strip the color. Distilled white vinegar is also always a good option. Would definitely test if it harms the color first though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal