collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Which Ponies Would You Upgrade?  (Read 2993 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Which Ponies Would You Upgrade?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 07:56:41 AM »
I have a very battered Truly which I actually have entirely because of who she came from and she gets to be on display because her story is a bit sad (she came from a pony collector whose parents divorced and whose father sold all her ponies after kicking her and her mother out of the house. She wasn't allowed to play with any of her ponies, except Truly, who was obviously well loved. So now Truly stays with us, because she can't stay with her original pony 'Mummy')

:( What a sad story. I'm glad Truly has a good home with you now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 09:18:27 AM »
The only ponies I wouldn't replace with better upgrades would be childhood ones / those with sentimental attachment.  Don't have too many since the bulk of my ponies all arrived second-hand.  If I get a better version I've no issues booting out the worse condition of the two.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 09:21:09 AM »
My G4 Holly Dash has a frizzy tail so I'd get her an upgrade, but she's rare so I should be glad I've got her in any condition!

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 09:26:40 AM »
Hmm the only one I can think of off the top of my head is G2 Junior, he's a bit yellowed.

I normally do try to get ponies in the condition I want them in though. I have quite a few G1s to eventually upgrade but that was because I got them from a cheap large lot. For now though they're just gonna hang tight with me :)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 06:24:20 AM »
I upgrade but I do not replace. In short, I keep the first of any pony I ever get, and then if they are not in very good shape, I will try and get a display version as well. But the original doesn't get booted out.

I believed, when I started collecting again, that I would be able to keep just one of each pony. And even tried to buy duplicates from the same seller for resale to help defray the shipping costs, which are high to SA: often far more than the cost of the pony. Needless to say those ponies are all inexplicably still with me. The only ones who are not are those whom I have given to my very dear friend who also collects ponies. Oh dear.

I hear you on the space issue Taffeta, but I suppose we will just have to be inventive?

Haha no kidding. My family already refer to my pony cupboard as the tardis, as it houses an impossible number of ponies and yet somehow I keep managing to get in more.

Quote from: Carrehz
:( What a sad story. I'm glad Truly has a good home with you now.
Yeah, it was. A lot of that girl's ponies were sold at a carboot sale (or several, actually, over several months). A lot of them live with us now. Some are all over the world. Several went to my old trade partner whose collection was dispersed after she died, so some of you guys may even have some of her ponies. I hope that they are all in good homes. Most of her ponies were not so much 'hers' because her mum collected and kind of made her collect rather than play with them - but whenever we visited them, she was always carrying around or hugging Truly, so I knew Truly was special. When I knew they were her ponies at the carboot sale, I looked for Truly specifically. She is now the guardian of my So Soft cabinet, standing proud sentry over the room. Here she is on duty, right at the top of the picture :) It's a rare day when I had the cabinet doors open, so she was making sure that nothing untoward went on on her watch ;)

Spoiler

She is a sorry ragged specimen, but I know her story, so she's as precious to me as a mint one could be.

Raggedy Taffy is also in there, being protected from prying eyes by Angel and Skippety Doo by the looks of it...

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 06:31:48 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 01:53:12 PM »
Not much is a deal breaker for me. I prefer them cheap, lol. I have upgraded, but don't purposefully do so. Generally have gone for bait as I'm just really not that picky.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 02:10:38 PM »
Haha yes mlp4me I too like them cheap.  I especially like them flawed because then it's easy to make them a little better, and then I get a better one and keep both...I especially love dollar bait because then i can do anything I want to them and I love them the same.

I got a Gingerbread that was brown in the thinner spots like where the hooves meet the legs, and I like her distinct appearance, and I like to brutalize cancer ponies with fantasies of curing the problem.  I keep "upgrading" the same ponies in that I get a better condition one, but also keep the less good ones, and while I like to give away duplicates to friends who don't have many ponies, I never sell so for the most part, being acquired by me is a till-death-do-us-part pony relationship.  My storage and shed are packed with ponies and soon all the cupboards in my little trailer are being converted to glass-front pony display.  I especially love big ponies like Zilla size and G3 Styling size and need those converted cupboards to have them on display as all the nooks and crannies in here for pony shelves only fit G1 size.

edit: haha I added the missing G to big.  Big ponies, i don't know anything about bi ponies...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:16:42 PM by lostpony »

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 06:35:10 PM »
I hoard G1s, so if I get an upgrade I usually keep the other one I had... though I may re-hair it or something. I need upgrades for Yum Yum and Nightglider -- I got them both on the cheaper side because they have hair cuts. :( Even before I get upgrades I'm probably going to go ahead and rehair them.

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 07:29:07 PM »
I keep all of my childhood ponies and wouldn't consider selling them unless I were in dire straits; I do own upgrades for most of them because I love nice-condition ponies, but I wouldn't part with my old playmates and so I just keep both.

As far as ponies I've purchased since I started collecting again, however, I usually don't have a problem selling one of them if I get one in nicer condition. I'm just happier keeping the nicer pony and I don't mind letting go of the other one since my emotional attachment to it is not strong. (I would always recommend thinking it through carefully before selling, though, maybe keeping the worse-condition pony around a few months to see if he or she grows on you.)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 08:18:14 PM »
Possibly Bunnyhop and definitely Sweet Stuff.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline gummybuns

• Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 08:59:28 PM »
I'd say my Firefly, um... not much is wrong with her she just has a bit of rust inside her body, that an a pink highlighter mark but highlighter  marks can't be fixed on ponies

lostpony

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »
Highlighter marks can't be sunfaded? 

The rust is easy to deal with, just scrub it out with liquid laundry soap...soak the tail a short while n use toothbrush.

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 12:44:16 AM »
I'm not someone who could upgrade. I'd rather have duplicates of a pony rather than get rid of an old one because of getting a better condition replacement. All of my toys are alive in their own way and for me it would be like giving away one of my pets because a 'prettier' one came along.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 11:50:37 AM »
I would upgrade any pony I can't fix. I'm on the hunt for a new
G3 Sparkleworks, G3 Citrus Sweetheart, and G1 Windy. But I'm not too picky as a collector and appreciate any pony in any condition.

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2017, 11:00:05 AM »
I'd say my Italian Starshine and Skydancer, but seeing how my Masquerade with horrible frizzy hair that i got in the first g1 lot i ever bought is still here even after i got one in much better condition along with other TEs, i guess i can't part with a pony even if i get one in better condition.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal