collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Tootie Tails

have her
20 (51.3%)
want her
14 (35.9%)
army
0 (0%)
I'll pass
3 (7.7%)
new to me
2 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: June 17, 2017, 04:01:15 PM

Author Topic: POTTD 6/12/2017 Tootie Tails  (Read 2591 times)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
Re: POTTD 6/12/2017 Tootie Tails
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2017, 06:32:40 PM »
A beautiful pony with an unfortunate name.

Fun fact, the US Tropical pony names were all recycled from a different Hasbro line, Fairy Tails:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tootie Tails (the pony) was the only one not to have the "Tails" part of the name dropped.

Oh cool, I didn't know that! I have one of the Fairy Tail birds from that line (from childhood).

I would kill to have this pony on the card, but at least I have her in otherwise nice condition!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2017, 01:03:04 AM »

Since they're based on the Tropical Fairy Tail birds, I wish we'd gotten the blue and green ones as ponies too.

Come to think of it, it's a bit weird that those ponies don't exist. I mean, it was common in the UK for us to have sets of four ponies, but most of those sets we had as fours in the UK had six in the US (like the Sunshine Ponies, the Candy Cane ponies, etc). So why not six Tropical Ponies? Were there two more that never made it to production? Should there maybe have been a Top Banana and a Sunnytails?

The mind boggles muchly.

Also the fact the names of those birds and the colours of the ponies which in the US got those names don't correlate at all well. But I did notice that "Hula Hula" at least has palm trees. I really genuinely think that palm tree earth pony was meant to be Hula Hula everywhere, but Hasbro in the US did a weird name switch. It's the only thing that makes sense given that the US symbol/name don't match up and yet its the only name that is in both UK and US sets (and when the UK used the same names as the US, we used them for the same ponies. Hula Hula is the only time that didn't happen). Looking at the fairy tails above it does seem like name switching may have happened a few times. It wouldn't surprise me even if they wanted to have other names for them but then decided to save money and use existing trademarks instead. Maybe they couldn't get the names they wanted through for some reason. Who really knows. I suspect it's easier to trademark "Top Banana Tails" than Top Banana on its own.

I always think that it was easier for the UK to have more interesting names because they were probably only licensing them in a small area, as opposed to trying to get them through in the US market. I think that's probably the reason Hasbro recycled. Partly to save money, but partly to save having to try and get yet more trademarks through.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:08:13 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017, 10:01:07 AM »
By the time the Tropical ponies came out, all MLPs had just four in a set.   My assumption is that it was because MLP's star was fading and they weren't selling as well, so Hasbro was scaling back. You could see Hasbro trying to hit the TOTALLY RADICAL neon 90s look in some of their last G1 MLPs--the bright Tropical ponies and Rockin' Beats, the Sweetheart Sisters who looked less "cute" and more like a horse-version of Barbie, and the Petite ponies (because Polly Pocket was huge)--but G1 MLP was just too tied in to the cute, cuddly, pastel 80s aesthetic IMO.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2017, 07:15:16 AM »
Have her.  I really like this set, they're sure gloriously cheerful colours.  When I was growing up, I distinctly remember receiving a 100 piece puzzle with these tropical ponies on it.  Fond memories.  ^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal