collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need help from Canadians  (Read 2161 times)

Offline piinkypiie

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Need help from Canadians
« on: June 10, 2017, 06:47:47 PM »
Hey there! 
So from Aug to Dec this year, I'll be headed to the University of Toronto,  St George campus for an exchange programme. Since I'll be in Canada for 4 months, I thought I'd ask fellow Canadians about the place. I'm super excited to visit as it's my first time there, and I've heard that Canadians are very nice people :)

If you can help answer these questions it would be really helpful!

1) How does public transport work? I don't drive and I don't wish to take a taxi everywhere because it's expensive.

2) What places are a must-see?  Keep in mind that I have school,  so I'm mainly looking at day trips, not overnight or those that stretch a few days. If possible, do let me know the easiest directions to the places. I know Niagara Falls is something I definitely want to see. No idea how to go etc
(does Canada have disneyland?)

3) Seasons!  Keep in mind that I come from a tropical country.. So I have never experienced any seasonal changes besides sunny and rainy. I know when I'm there I'll probably experience fall and winter (For the first time! So excited to see snow!) but I don't know what to wear for fall and winter.. Like jackets? Shoes? Inner wear, outer wear? Layering? I'm totally clueless! So any tips would be great!

4) Finally, I'd like to ask about shopping! If you know any good places to shop for souvenirs or cool stuff or anything really, I don't mind checking it out. Also cheap places to get stuff like groceries, clothes, Stationary  etc. I know I'd want to visit a Disneystore there because I've never been to one in person before (I always hav to shop internationally online). :))

Thank you in advance!!
:happy:

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
Re: Need help from Canadians
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 07:01:54 PM »
1) How does public transport work? I don't drive and I don't wish to take a taxi everywhere because it's expensive.

i have only stayed in Victoria so I cannot vouch for Toronto, but the bus system where i've stayed is wonderful. public transportation is very easy and busses are usually on time. I have also noted that taxi fares are not as expensive there as in the US.

2) What places are a must-see?  Keep in mind that I have school,  so I'm mainly looking at day trips, not overnight or those that stretch a few days. If possible, do let me know the easiest directions to the places. I know Niagara Falls is something I definitely want to see. No idea how to go etc
(does Canada have disneyland?)

There is no disneyland, sorry! only one in california, florida, and japan i believe? maybe theres a UK one?
niagra falls is totally worth a see, especially if you're in toronto. Toronto also has a "space needle" attraction, The CN tower, it's a fun visit if you like the space needle.

3) Seasons!  Keep in mind that I come from a tropical country.. So I have never experienced any seasonal changes besides sunny and rainy. I know when I'm there I'll probably experience fall and winter (For the first time! So excited to see snow!) but I don't know what to wear for fall and winter.. Like jackets? Shoes? Inner wear, outer wear? Layering? I'm totally clueless! So any tips would be great!

you're going to want to get snow gear. boots, jackets, gloves, and a hat. it doesn't have to be top-of-the-line, but somethign thick and warm, definitely aboslutely boots and a jacket minimum. especially if you are from somewhere tropical, you will probably freeze. expect below freezing for most of the time in december, mornings in november.

4) Finally, I'd like to ask about shopping! If you know any good places to shop for souvenirs or cool stuff or anything really, I don't mind checking it out. Also cheap places to get stuff like groceries, clothes, Stationary  etc. I know I'd want to visit a Disneystore there because I've never been to one in person before (I always hav to shop internationally online)

i think most Malls have a disneystore, even in canada. though, you are not that far by train from NYC, where there is a HUGE disneystore. I don't know about souvinier places in toronto, sorry. but I like to do my grocery shopping at Thrifty's, though Save-on Foods is usually cheaper ; )
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

wishlist

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 07:53:39 AM »
I was all excited until I read you were visiting the wrong side of the country.  ;) 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 09:26:13 AM »
1. Toronto is a big city, so public transportation should be really solid.

2. You're going to want hoodies / sweaters, jeans / pants, socks, a warm jacket, gloves, a toque or earmuffs and a scarf. Solid footwear is also important. You may or may not need actual boots; we've been getting snow late the last few years. (You want things to cover hands and ears once the weather gets cold, since both tend to be more sensitive if not use to winter climate.)

3. Sorry, no Disney here (though there are Disney stoes), but we do have Canada's Wonderland right outside Toronto if you like roller coasters and Upper Canada Village is interesting if you like history. Niagra Falls is also a great choice--my brother took my niece there and she really liked it.

4. I would suggest making a list of the types of things you want to shop for and then putting them and Toronto into a search. I live about 2.5 hours from Toronto, so I don't visit it often.

I hope this is helpful. :)

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 09:38:08 AM »
Pretty much what everyone has said, though im going to point out that Ontario on average is colder in the winter then BC.  Even though the past few years have been wonky.  Id say it starts to get cool around late October and below freezing in late November, depending on if the system is going to throw out more warm air from the south or cold air from the north.

September can be hot though..like 40^C hot.  Especially for Toronto, it will be warmer due to all the pavement.

I live about 45 minutes away/have family there but haven't been in awhile.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 11:23:49 AM »
GTA native here able to give you some advice.

First up, transit. We have a pretty great one--in the sense that it can take you almost anywhere in the city for $3.25 a trip (if you are going to be travelling a lot, our month passes are just under $150, but there should also be a student rate if you're at UoT).  http://www.ttc.ca/ is the website for the transit system and all the info you will need.

As said, we do not have a Disneyland, and not every mall here has a Disney Store, but a few of them do. Off the top of my head, I know the Eaton's Centre, Yorkdale Mall, Vaughan Mills, and Scarborough Town Centre have one. (the latter two would be a little more out of the way if you're in the heart of DT Toronto though).

A lot of the places I'm going to list do close for the winter, so they would be places you should visit as early as possible if you're interested.

If you're interested in theme parks, we do have Wonderland. I can't give you the most up to date info because I'm not a thrill rides kind of person and have only been there twice in the past decade, but there are lots of rides and September should be the better month to go because kids will be back in school so won't be a chaotic zoo. https://www.canadaswonderland.com/

Niagara Falls is about an hour and a half away by car, may be a little longer by bus, so honestly, I would say it's better to do an overnight stay if possible, but also not required. There is a lot of smaller souvenir shops there and  museums, haunted houses, and other small attractions on Clifton Hill which is next to the falls. Niagara on the Lake is a little distance away from the falls (would need a vehicle to get there from the falls) but is also a quaint, less busy, little place to walk with lots of little shops and by the waterfront Since you mentioned shopping, there is a fairly big outlet mall nearby as well (would need a vehicle to get there too).

Toronto Island/Centre Island is a scenic place to walk/bike (They have rentals) around and has a very small amusement park (I think it's all kids rides actually). You would need to take a ferry across which can be it's own nice experience. It's currently closed due to flooding, but is supposed to be open to the public by August, so unless they delay it again, that shouldn't effect you.

We also have a pretty fun zoo that had baby Pandas last year that should be grown up now. The CN Tower is a great place to get a view of the city up high for sure. Usually, a lot of our waterfront festivals occur during the summer months, but there may be some stragglers that take place in Sept, early October. But if nothing else, it's nice to walk along. We also a nice beach/boardwalk (not really a place for swimming, but you're here in the fall anyway) as well as another niche street full of little stores referred to as The Beaches.

If you're into art, we do have a neat night event called Nuit Blanche on Sept. 30th. A bunch of artists have little art exhibits set up all around downtown from evening until dawn. https://nbto.com/

In terms of weather, I can't give you any accurate advice. It has been beyond confusing the past few years. We saw one or two small snowfalls before Christmas, but mostly warm for Toronto winter standards, and I think it was either Jan/Feb before we had a real winter. I would say have a good jacket with you, and a mix of cooler and warmer clothing options. I can say humidity is a thing here, we are bordering Lake Ontario, so our highs are hot and gross, and our lows feel colder than typical.

Shopping? We have lots. I can't really list any souvenir stores because it isn't exactly my market, but there should be dozens scattered about. Lots of little one off stores around, as well as many malls and chain stores about. And most importantly, lots of food. Toronto is super multicultural so you can find cuisines from practically ANY culture. Our dollar is pretty lousy right now, though, so don't necessarily expect 'cheap'. Walmart is probably the best place for cheap clothes/groceries/stationary. But you can also try out Dollarama. Not quite a dollar store anymore, around $1-5, but they have lots of stationary, some food, and cheap household supplies you may need like mugs, plates, toiletries, etc.

Haha, I can't really sell my city as a tourist destination since I take a lot of our attractions for granted.  If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know. ^^; But otherwise, if you need any help, feel free to contact me when you're down here.  :) Hope you will have an awesome time.

Edit: Oh, a couple of places I forgot to mention (that are indoors and year round) and all easily accessible. We have the ROM which is a fairly nice museum, the AGO is our art gallery, Ripley's Aquarium (that I have yet to check out, it's only a few years old, but have heard good things about), and The Science Centre, which is more geared towards kids, but I think adults can still get a kick out of, or at least catch a few science documentaries if that's your thing.

http://www.rom.on.ca/en
https://ago.ca/
https://www.ripleyaquariums.com/canada/
https://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/

Also, just want to clarify, a train from TO to NYC is over 15 hours, driving is 8-10. It's not close at all especially if you are looking for more day trip/activities.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:42:59 AM by aluke »

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 12:07:06 PM »
I live on the other side of the country, so I can't help you with local Toronto things. But I can advise with some baisic tips to surviving a Canadian winter. Here is Canada winter boot camp 101:
1. Invest in some winter gear. I'm talking snow coats, boots, gloves and a scarf. Doesn't have to be top end, but should be able to keep you warm. The scarf will be needed on windy days. Cold wind is cold and brutal. When true windchill (fancy term for what the temperature feels like with wind on unprotected skin) feels like -28, frostbite can occur in thirty minutes. -40, and you have ten minutes. -55, and environment Canada encourages you to not go outside. But temperatures below -30 are rare over here in good ol Alberta, so I don't think you have to worry. But do invest in keeping yourself warm. And remember: ice is slippery. Watch where you step. Many injuries in winter happen from falls. Do not be a statistic!
2. Know the location of your nearest coffee shop. I would advise a Tim Hortons, but any will do. It's a Canadian coffee chain, and also has got chocolate! This will not only allow you shelter from the cold, you can also warm yourself up with a nice hot beverage.
3. Look both ways before crossing the street. I know this should go without saying, but I advise you do especially in the winter. The roads are wet and slippery. So in addition to those few who are horrible drivers and should probably be on canadas worst driver (hilarious television show) you now have to worry about potential accidents from the weather. Stay safe.
4. Have fun. Snow can be fun. But you may get hit with a case of snow blindness. This is where, in very sunny days, the snow reflects the sunlight directly into your eyes, causing temporary blindness, like staring at a lightbulb. It won't cause any permanent damage, and it's abnormal occurrence. If you are planning on going skiiing, bring sunscreen. The light and uv rays bounced off he snow will cause sunburn.

Have I scared you off yet? No? Well, have fun coming over here to the great white north! Oh! And I just realized something! Your coming at the end of august. You will get to see the geese flying south for the winter! That's my favorite part of fall. If you hear honking and see a v shape of birds in the sky, that's geese. Admire the majestic beauty of these big birds.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline piinkypiie

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 07:34:34 PM »
Hey everybody!  Thank you so much for taking your time to provide such useful and detailed advises!! I really appreciate it :)
I have more or less an idea of what to expect now, so I truly appreciate it. :)

I was all excited until I read you were visiting the wrong side of the country.  ;) 
Haha what's the "right side"?  :lol:

GTA native here able to give you some advice.

First up, transit. We have a pretty great one--in the sense that it can take you almost anywhere in the city for $3.25 a trip (if you are going to be travelling a lot, our month passes are just under $150, but there should also be a student rate if you're at UoT).  http://www.ttc.ca/ is the website for the transit system and all the info you will need.

As said, we do not have a Disneyland, and not every mall here has a Disney Store, but a few of them do. Off the top of my head, I know the Eaton's Centre, Yorkdale Mall, Vaughan Mills, and Scarborough Town Centre have one. (the latter two would be a little more out of the way if you're in the heart of DT Toronto though).

A lot of the places I'm going to list do close for the winter, so they would be places you should visit as early as possible if you're interested.

If you're interested in theme parks, we do have Wonderland. I can't give you the most up to date info because I'm not a thrill rides kind of person and have only been there twice in the past decade, but there are lots of rides and September should be the better month to go because kids will be back in school so won't be a chaotic zoo. https://www.canadaswonderland.com/

Niagara Falls is about an hour and a half away by car, may be a little longer by bus, so honestly, I would say it's better to do an overnight stay if possible, but also not required. There is a lot of smaller souvenir shops there and  museums, haunted houses, and other small attractions on Clifton Hill which is next to the falls. Niagara on the Lake is a little distance away from the falls (would need a vehicle to get there from the falls) but is also a quaint, less busy, little place to walk with lots of little shops and by the waterfront Since you mentioned shopping, there is a fairly big outlet mall nearby as well (would need a vehicle to get there too).

Toronto Island/Centre Island is a scenic place to walk/bike (They have rentals) around and has a very small amusement park (I think it's all kids rides actually). You would need to take a ferry across which can be it's own nice experience. It's currently closed due to flooding, but is supposed to be open to the public by August, so unless they delay it again, that shouldn't effect you.

We also have a pretty fun zoo that had baby Pandas last year that should be grown up now. The CN Tower is a great place to get a view of the city up high for sure. Usually, a lot of our waterfront festivals occur during the summer months, but there may be some stragglers that take place in Sept, early October. But if nothing else, it's nice to walk along. We also a nice beach/boardwalk (not really a place for swimming, but you're here in the fall anyway) as well as another niche street full of little stores referred to as The Beaches.

If you're into art, we do have a neat night event called Nuit Blanche on Sept. 30th. A bunch of artists have little art exhibits set up all around downtown from evening until dawn. https://nbto.com/

In terms of weather, I can't give you any accurate advice. It has been beyond confusing the past few years. We saw one or two small snowfalls before Christmas, but mostly warm for Toronto winter standards, and I think it was either Jan/Feb before we had a real winter. I would say have a good jacket with you, and a mix of cooler and warmer clothing options. I can say humidity is a thing here, we are bordering Lake Ontario, so our highs are hot and gross, and our lows feel colder than typical.

Shopping? We have lots. I can't really list any souvenir stores because it isn't exactly my market, but there should be dozens scattered about. Lots of little one off stores around, as well as many malls and chain stores about. And most importantly, lots of food. Toronto is super multicultural so you can find cuisines from practically ANY culture. Our dollar is pretty lousy right now, though, so don't necessarily expect 'cheap'. Walmart is probably the best place for cheap clothes/groceries/stationary. But you can also try out Dollarama. Not quite a dollar store anymore, around $1-5, but they have lots of stationary, some food, and cheap household supplies you may need like mugs, plates, toiletries, etc.

Haha, I can't really sell my city as a tourist destination since I take a lot of our attractions for granted.  If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know. ^^; But otherwise, if you need any help, feel free to contact me when you're down here.  :) Hope you will have an awesome time.

Edit: Oh, a couple of places I forgot to mention (that are indoors and year round) and all easily accessible. We have the ROM which is a fairly nice museum, the AGO is our art gallery, Ripley's Aquarium (that I have yet to check out, it's only a few years old, but have heard good things about), and The Science Centre, which is more geared towards kids, but I think adults can still get a kick out of, or at least catch a few science documentaries if that's your thing.

http://www.rom.on.ca/en
https://ago.ca/
https://www.ripleyaquariums.com/canada/
https://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/

Also, just want to clarify, a train from TO to NYC is over 15 hours, driving is 8-10. It's not close at all especially if you are looking for more day trip/activities.

I might just take u up on that offer in case I am lost or need to ask something. Thanks for providing the links :) Also I noticed Canadian dollar is almost around my local currency (sgd) just slightly higher, so at least I won't be tempted to overspend knowing I'm spending about the same amount in my local currency haha

I live on the other side of the country, so I can't help you with local Toronto things. But I can advise with some baisic tips to surviving a Canadian winter. Here is Canada winter boot camp 101:
1. Invest in some winter gear. I'm talking snow coats, boots, gloves and a scarf. Doesn't have to be top end, but should be able to keep you warm. The scarf will be needed on windy days. Cold wind is cold and brutal. When true windchill (fancy term for what the temperature feels like with wind on unprotected skin) feels like -28, frostbite can occur in thirty minutes. -40, and you have ten minutes. -55, and environment Canada encourages you to not go outside. But temperatures below -30 are rare over here in good ol Alberta, so I don't think you have to worry. But do invest in keeping yourself warm. And remember: ice is slippery. Watch where you step. Many injuries in winter happen from falls. Do not be a statistic!
2. Know the location of your nearest coffee shop. I would advise a Tim Hortons, but any will do. It's a Canadian coffee chain, and also has got chocolate! This will not only allow you shelter from the cold, you can also warm yourself up with a nice hot beverage.
3. Look both ways before crossing the street. I know this should go without saying, but I advise you do especially in the winter. The roads are wet and slippery. So in addition to those few who are horrible drivers and should probably be on canadas worst driver (hilarious television show) you now have to worry about potential accidents from the weather. Stay safe.
4. Have fun. Snow can be fun. But you may get hit with a case of snow blindness. This is where, in very sunny days, the snow reflects the sunlight directly into your eyes, causing temporary blindness, like staring at a lightbulb. It won't cause any permanent damage, and it's abnormal occurrence. If you are planning on going skiiing, bring sunscreen. The light and uv rays bounced off he snow will cause sunburn.

Have I scared you off yet? No? Well, have fun coming over here to the great white north! Oh! And I just realized something! Your coming at the end of august. You will get to see the geese flying south for the winter! That's my favorite part of fall. If you hear honking and see a v shape of birds in the sky, that's geese. Admire the majestic beauty of these big birds.

Haha you haven't scared me yet. ;)
I'm ever so excited to see birds flying in formation! Never seen it before:)

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 07:50:58 PM »
Hi I have nothing useful to add but I hope you have a great time on your trip. 

Even though you won't be coming behind the Iron Curtain into the US, it's still fun to know the alicorn Pinky will be visiting my continent!

Have you seen this clapping Pinky .gif i found? fun, isn't it  visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 09:46:06 PM »
Oh! I just realized another awesome thing you probably have never seen! In the fall the leaves on the trees become orange, red and yellow! And then they fall off. Hence why we call it fall. Think of the running of the leaves in mlp. However, we don't have a running of the leaves. Not sure if you get it in tropical areas, but it's a pretty sight. And you get to have Canadian maple syrup! I've been to Australia. The syrup there isnt anything like Canada. You want good maple syrup, go to Canada. Enough said. Put it on your pancakes! Oh! And you also get to see poutine! It's a Canadian thing of french fries with gravy and cheese curds on top. It's more of a Quebec thing, but most folks thing of that when they hear Canada. Speaking of Quebec, did you know that everything in Canada is in both French and English? We are a bilingual country. And those are our two official languages. But you probably won't hear much French in Toronto. It's a Quebec language, as Quebec was a French colony a long time ago. Again, have fun on your travels. Have you ever watched hockey? Here in Canada, it's a big thing. Even though our national sport is lacrosse. Do not argue with a hockey fan over hockey. If you do, grab a few beers. You're gonna need them!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 10:00:58 PM »
1) How does public transport work?
Busses are the main public transportation, most cities don't have subways / light rail.  Consult with your exchange program but you'd probably qualify for student monthly or semester bus pass prices, which are far more reasonable than paying cab fare. All that's usually needed is your student ID card to qualify.  Cabs aren't really a big thing in Canada - most of the time you need to call to have one arrive wherever you are, it's not like NYC with flocks of them cruising around. 

2) What places are a must-see? 
Toronto has lots of nice places to visit, like the Toronto Zoo or the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum).  Canada's Wonderland is located nearby - it's sort of like Disneyland, only far smaller.  TBH unless you're a kid or never been to an amusement park before it's, well, not going to be that novel.  We spent more time in the waterpark last visit than at the rides; lines are loooong most days for thrill rides.  It's weekends only after August and closed after October so check the park schedule before planning a visit.  If you're going to go more than twice, a season pass is more affordable than the day passes. 

3) Seasons!
Oh goodness.  Yeah, seasons are going to be interesting for you!
You're going to need the full gamut of clothing to cover those months - August is hot, things cool down quickly between October and November (but we can have big swings between daytime and nighttime temps, so sometimes you'll need to carry gear for +/- 20 degrees on the same day!) and by the end of December there's often snow, though it doesn't always stick around until January.  The autumn months are unpredictable, can be hot and dry or cold and wet or any combination thereof.  Going to see the forests change colour is pretty spectacular, even for someone who's used to it, but how nice the display is any given year varies by the weather.

In short, you're going to need a variety of clothes.  Everything from shorts/skirts/t-shirts to sweaters, pants and fleecies.  Bring stuff you can layer.  An umbrella and waterproof jacket - imagine you'd already have these, and a variety of footgear.  Sandals/walking shoes for warmer temps, and good boots if you have them.  Toronto doesn't get as much snow as many places but you will likely need some snow gear, most importantly a sturdy set of footwear and a winter coat, plus the usual hat, gloves/mitts, scarf.  Buy comfortable over stylish when it comes to boots. You will be spending most of your outdoor time in them, and it's misery if you've got cold or pinched feet.

4) Finally, I'd like to ask about shopping!
Will have to leave this for the Toronto locals, but my experiences as a visitor were that things were a bit more expensive than Ottawa but not by much.  Toronto does have a really good assortment of specialty shops for art and cultural stuff.

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline melodys_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 08:20:55 AM »
I second the ROM.  It was always a nice place to go to for school trips but its not just for kids.  Lots of pretty to look at and lots to learn.

Depending when you get here the Ex MIGHT still be open.  Its a seasonal themepark with much shopping and food.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline piinkypiie

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 09:11:38 PM »
Hi I have nothing useful to add but I hope you have a great time on your trip. 

Even though you won't be coming behind the Iron Curtain into the US, it's still fun to know the alicorn Pinky will be visiting my continent!

Have you seen this clapping Pinky .gif i found? fun, isn't it  visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actually I'll be in San Francisco for a week before going to Toronto to visit my grandma and uncle :) but it was just for a week so I didn't ask about it. Plus I hv my relatives to help navigate in usa.

And speaking of Alicorn, I found an Alicorn pinkie off a China website! I can't wait till I get her! Now I hv my og in real life :))))

And yes that pinkie is adorable!!!!!! :lol:

Post Merge: June 12, 2017, 09:15:46 PM

Oh! I just realized another awesome thing you probably have never seen! In the fall the leaves on the trees become orange, red and yellow! And then they fall off. Hence why we call it fall. Think of the running of the leaves in mlp. However, we don't have a running of the leaves. Not sure if you get it in tropical areas, but it's a pretty sight. And you get to have Canadian maple syrup! I've been to Australia. The syrup there isnt anything like Canada. You want good maple syrup, go to Canada. Enough said. Put it on your pancakes! Oh! And you also get to see poutine! It's a Canadian thing of french fries with gravy and cheese curds on top. It's more of a Quebec thing, but most folks thing of that when they hear Canada. Speaking of Quebec, did you know that everything in Canada is in both French and English? We are a bilingual country. And those are our two official languages. But you probably won't hear much French in Toronto. It's a Quebec language, as Quebec was a French colony a long time ago. Again, have fun on your travels. Have you ever watched hockey? Here in Canada, it's a big thing. Even though our national sport is lacrosse. Do not argue with a hockey fan over hockey. If you do, grab a few beers. You're gonna need them!

Ohhhhh that sounds so beautiful!  I'll definitely take picture! We have evergreen all year round, so seeing different colours and fall would be pretty cool!

Oh yesss I've heard of the maple syrup definitely have to get some! Haven't heard of the fries but I would love to try them!

Haha thankfully, my French is not very good. My English is good though, so I shouldn't face too much problem :)

And nope I've never Watched hockey so I guess I should go find out about the game a little :)

Post Merge: June 12, 2017, 09:20:39 PM

1) How does public transport work?
Busses are the main public transportation, most cities don't have subways / light rail.  Consult with your exchange program but you'd probably qualify for student monthly or semester bus pass prices, which are far more reasonable than paying cab fare. All that's usually needed is your student ID card to qualify.  Cabs aren't really a big thing in Canada - most of the time you need to call to have one arrive wherever you are, it's not like NYC with flocks of them cruising around. 

2) What places are a must-see? 
Toronto has lots of nice places to visit, like the Toronto Zoo or the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum).  Canada's Wonderland is located nearby - it's sort of like Disneyland, only far smaller.  TBH unless you're a kid or never been to an amusement park before it's, well, not going to be that novel.  We spent more time in the waterpark last visit than at the rides; lines are loooong most days for thrill rides.  It's weekends only after August and closed after October so check the park schedule before planning a visit.  If you're going to go more than twice, a season pass is more affordable than the day passes. 

3) Seasons!
Oh goodness.  Yeah, seasons are going to be interesting for you!
You're going to need the full gamut of clothing to cover those months - August is hot, things cool down quickly between October and November (but we can have big swings between daytime and nighttime temps, so sometimes you'll need to carry gear for +/- 20 degrees on the same day!) and by the end of December there's often snow, though it doesn't always stick around until January.  The autumn months are unpredictable, can be hot and dry or cold and wet or any combination thereof.  Going to see the forests change colour is pretty spectacular, even for someone who's used to it, but how nice the display is any given year varies by the weather.

In short, you're going to need a variety of clothes.  Everything from shorts/skirts/t-shirts to sweaters, pants and fleecies.  Bring stuff you can layer.  An umbrella and waterproof jacket - imagine you'd already have these, and a variety of footgear.  Sandals/walking shoes for warmer temps, and good boots if you have them.  Toronto doesn't get as much snow as many places but you will likely need some snow gear, most importantly a sturdy set of footwear and a winter coat, plus the usual hat, gloves/mitts, scarf.  Buy comfortable over stylish when it comes to boots. You will be spending most of your outdoor time in them, and it's misery if you've got cold or pinched feet.

4) Finally, I'd like to ask about shopping!
Will have to leave this for the Toronto locals, but my experiences as a visitor were that things were a bit more expensive than Ottawa but not by much.  Toronto does have a really good assortment of specialty shops for art and cultural stuff.

Ermmm just a quick question,  do I hv to pay the fare in cash? Or is there some sort of electronic card/token which I out money in and scan when boarding a bus or train? Also do you guys have uber and grab?

Well that's a downer about the amusement park. Most likely won't go but will go ROM. Seems everyone is recommending it.

Looks like for weather I'll just hv to get 1 of everything.haha luckily I hv extra baggage allowance.

Thanks for replying :)

Post Merge: June 12, 2017, 09:21:43 PM

I second the ROM.  It was always a nice place to go to for school trips but its not just for kids.  Lots of pretty to look at and lots to learn.

Depending when you get here the Ex MIGHT still be open.  Its a seasonal themepark with much shopping and food.

Yay I'm not a kid so should be good for me haha

Post Merge: June 12, 2017, 09:24:00 PM

Also just would like to post a quick follow up question,  how is Canada on gun laws? I'm partly afraid of usa (No offence) because of the gun laws there. I don't know about Canada. Are people allowed to carry any guns around legally? Also to Toronto locals, are there any shady areas I should avoid? Mainly because I'm going alone so I would just like to be on the safe side. :) not meant to offend anyone.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:24:00 PM by piinkypiie »

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 01:17:22 AM »
You'll want a pass if you're going to be using busses regularly anyway.  Normally they're bought by the month and you'll need a TTC ID card to go with it.  Monthly pass entitles you to as many rides as you want.  Otherwise there's cash or tickets if you're not using enough to justify the monthly pass cost.

https://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Prices/Prices.jsp

Pretty sure Ubers and similar are also around, but personally I've not used one, so not the best person to advise. 

You're more likely to be assaulted by a moose than a gun around here, and moose are pretty darn unlikely to show up anywhere urbanized.  I think it's technically legal to have, say, hunting rifles and pistols ... but nobody walks around in a city with one. o_o;  The only real guns you're likely to see are on the belts of police officers or security guards, maybe.  I mean sure there's bad people no matter where you go and it's not impossible to get a gun by any means, but your average citizen doesn't have one, probably has never held one, and doesn't really want one.   Use common sense and you should be just fine.

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline melodys_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »
No to guns (of lethal force).  We don't carry or wield them.  Unless you have a permit for hunting or are in law enforcement--and even then, you would be more likely to get struck my lightning then to need one.

The locals (us) don't have, don't want, and are frankly disturbed to even think of it.

ETA: Yes, there will always be certain areas of any city that are shady--and Toronto is no different.  Ill have to actually ask my dad (who was born and raised there) for specifics since I wouldn't know personally..ive always been with others when I go and always  on the main streets)

One other thing.  I don't know about your country but if you take the subway be quick.  Its convenient but those doors are freaking evil.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:29:18 AM by melodys_angel »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal