collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone remember the 'Picnic at the Paradise Estate'?  (Read 899 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Anyone remember the 'Picnic at the Paradise Estate'?
« on: June 08, 2017, 06:39:32 AM »
Anyone in the US remember this cassette/book release?

My Dad has been putting my old cassettes on CD for me, including some I got in trades at the end of the 1990s. One of these was the cassette for the Picnic at the Paradise Estate readalong book (which I have never seen, but would love to see scans of if anyone has it).

I just gave him my box of cassettes, most of which I hadn't looked at for years, but when I was looking at the list he typed for me, the title Picnic at the Paradise Estate made the refrain of a song play briefly in my head.

Sure enough when I played these tracks through, there is a song in the middle. I obviously played it a fair bit after I traded for it, because I not only remember some of the words, it gives me a serious feeling of late 1990s trading nostalgia.

I looked on YT and it isn't there. The book is pictured on the Wiki, although  there is not any information I can see about it. I think that this is sad, given that the UK song tape is so well known now. This is a piece of US pony history and a very catchy US G1 pony song not in the animation, so I'd be curious to anyone who remembers it and has any info on the book.

From a story perspective, remembering that I grew up with the UK pony canon, I was struck by the lack of magic and the inclusion of set names which weren't always there in the UK stories. Also, Shady is not a coward - she has sunglasses and she does an impressive dive.

Most interesting is the claim that Megan is the "eldest" including older than the adult ponies, some of whom have baby ponies. I think that can only be explained by applying real world horse and human ages...

It strikes me that US pony story canon was much more tied into real world concepts (ie hippos and mud baths, and the rainbow only appearing in sun after rain, as opposed to being the Rainbow and Mr Sun).

Anyone remember this or have this and can add?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 06:41:03 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone remember the 'Picnic at the Paradise Estate'?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 07:45:20 AM »
Oh yes, I have the book and cassette of it.  I transferred the cassette to CD years ago and I've posted the files a few times (I don't leave it uploaded due to the space they take up).  If you go to the new Library section of the Wiki, you'll find pdf's of the books themselves including Picnic at Paradise Estate.  :)

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 07:51:18 AM »
Ah, brilliant :) Thank you :D I'm glad it hasn't been lost and forgotten, because it's such a cute little song. Are there any other songs on US story tapes? I have the stories for Glory the unicorn, the Magic Rainbow and Lost in the Clouds, but those don't seem to have a song.

I've learned a lot of things about the US canon this morning. The US world is definitely more 'real world' than 'magical world' as Glory's story talks about her being in the real/ordinary world and not fitting in because she was a magical creature. And Moondancer is a boy.

On going through my UK files I discovered the absolute agony and irony of the fact there's a whole story dedicated to Skyflier, who was not sold here...especially the fact the whole story is all about her overcoming the odds to do something apparently impossible. Which is pretty much what it was like for kids here who wanted Skyflier. Hasbro UK had a very sick sense of humour.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 08:35:04 AM »
No, that was the only song from the US books unless there was another book I'm not familiar with.

US canon is all over the place - the books don't really line up with the show and sometimes not even with each other and the backcards are another story entirely.  :lol:  The New Friends, At the Country Fair, and Under the Big Top especially seem to be more "real world" as are a couple of the coloring books.  The later books seemed to at least have some of the personalities and such from the show, but really they're more focused on showing off the toy line.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 09:12:52 AM »
That's so neat to know. I used to have a couple of US books but I don't think I kept them. I am glad I kept the tapes, though, since I quite like the Glory story and the PE song is so cute. It's just so interesting to me how the US ponyland seems more grounded in real life types of things, whereas the UK one is all about magic genies and sprites and fairies and Majesty weaving scarves from the wool of 'fluffy cloud sheep' which apparently protects against catching colds. It's such a different take on the exact same world.

UK story canon was sort of the same with the books and comics, sometimes it matched up and sometimes it didn't. I understand from listening to some of these stories why kids here grew up loving the ponies we never got released, because they focus in on the personalities and foibles, friendships etc of some of them (Sparkler and Powder appear to be best buddies all of a sudden, for example, and Skyflier getting help from the shy Twilight in order to fly and rescue her friend Starshine). We did have Starshine, but none of the rest. Meh.  Maybe that's why the UK stories feel less like they are trying to sell the toyline, as a lot of the stories are about ponies that never came out here, and so are just story characters.

I have also just realised one of my childhood tapes is missing. Surfdancer and the Little Mermaid. I wonder what happened to that...

G1 pony canon is as interesting as it is completely inconsistent...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 11:35:45 AM »
It's just so interesting to me how the US ponyland seems more grounded in real life types of things, whereas the UK one is all about magic genies and sprites and fairies and Majesty weaving scarves from the wool of 'fluffy cloud sheep' which apparently protects against catching colds. It's such a different take on the exact same world.

Well, that completely changes my UK tour next month! I was hoping to visit the fluffy cloud sheep ranch and get a scarf! I suppose I'll just have to go to Hogwarts, then. That's still real, right?
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 12:10:04 PM »
I love the US storybooks and cassette tape stories. The only one I had growing up was "The Magic Rainbow" but I've bought a few of the books without the cassette tapes off of Ebay.

Another interesting thing  is in the "My Little Pony Adventure book" cassette and story, Applejack seems to be a little younger than the other ponies. Firefly says something about "growing up a little' after being lost in the forest.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 01:05:06 PM »
It's just so interesting to me how the US ponyland seems more grounded in real life types of things, whereas the UK one is all about magic genies and sprites and fairies and Majesty weaving scarves from the wool of 'fluffy cloud sheep' which apparently protects against catching colds. It's such a different take on the exact same world.

Well, that completely changes my UK tour next month! I was hoping to visit the fluffy cloud sheep ranch and get a scarf! I suppose I'll just have to go to Hogwarts, then. That's still real, right?

Well, they might still have those ranches/farms in North Wales. There are a lot of sheep there.

Dunno about Hogwarts. Pretty sure that is classified, though I can confidentially reveal the continued presence of platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross. Maybe if you ask the wall nicely...we are big on proper manners don't you know...xD

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal