collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: PC/Info older AG Samantha Doll  (Read 1138 times)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
PC/Info older AG Samantha Doll
« on: June 07, 2017, 10:40:01 PM »
I've had this doll since I was in Jr high so late 90s early 2000s maybe?
The only markings I can find on her without undressing her is "pleasant company" on the back of her neck

I don't have her original outfit, i think a "friend" actually stole it from me when I was young.
She has a modern AG outfit that I would probably sell separately (red flannel button down shirt, khakis pants, and sneakers) That I received with the doll when I got her.
I've never much been into big dolls, so Samantha has sat on a shelf since I got her..

Is there a way for me to properly date her?
And also what might a nude Samantha doll go for these days?
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
Re: PC/Info older AG Samantha Doll
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 07:45:06 AM »
It really depends on her condition. She's sold on eBay between $25-$50 with the averaging being about $35. Several of the ones at $50 have their outfit. Second hand AG dolls aren't selling as high as they used too. Unless they're a very rare doll

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 08:59:01 AM »
The fact that she has Pleasant Company on the back of her head is a start for dating her. She's either a transition doll or earlier. Check her torso for a tag - when Mattel took over the torso got a tag that says American Girl.

This site should help a bit for the transition dolls if she is one:
http://americangirl.wikia.com/wiki/Transition_Dolls

I'm thinking she's likely a transition doll, but, if she's not last I remember the best way to tell was the color of fabric used on the torso. White means she was one of the first, if I remember correctly white body was switched out to flesh toned in 1989?

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 11:48:56 AM »
She's definitely not old enough to have a white body, it is flesh tone, but she has no tag, I've heard there is a tag on the inside shoulder but I dont know enough about removing the head myself and it would scare me to try lol.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 12:10:23 PM »
After a little more reading it looks like a timeframe for yours would be 1990 - 1998 :)

So at least what I think are the good ones lol

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 12:25:59 PM »
After a little more reading it looks like a timeframe for yours would be 1990 - 1998 :)

So at least what I think are the good ones lol

That sounds about right to me, I was about in 6th grade so i think 97-98, if I'm remembering correctly,
She seems to be in good condition, like I said I rarely touched her, her face could use a light wash though.
Im not sure of the hair though. It LOOKS nice, but it could be slightly dry, but maybe that's how it always felt and I just don't have enough experience with big dolls.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 12:33:52 PM »
I remember my doll from the same time period also feeling like she had sorta dry hair. But she was pretty heavily played with so I'm not sure if that was from me, or it's just characteristic of what they were using at the time.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 12:55:14 PM »
Its possible? Because it LOOKS really silky and shiny and nice, but its just slightly course to the touch, not like "afraid its going to snap in half" dry, just textured I suppose.
Thanks for all the help though!

I would like to sell her, Im just not sure my mom would be ok with that since she bought her for me. x.x I might have a talk with her though as I'm trying to declutter and thin down the hoard x.x

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 01:35:24 PM »
I don't remember touching my cousin's Samantha's head so I honestly couldn't tell you lol.

Good luck :)

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 04:14:46 PM »
I had Samantha, and her hair was absolutely dryish/course to the touch after being played with more than maybe twice haha. We also had our heads for them replaced a few times. Molly had similar hair quality to Samantha.

But it sounds spot on to my doll from the same time period :)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »
Sounds like my Sam as well. :)
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 08:44:46 PM »
Thats good to know! My mom got me samantha because she looked like me, and got molly for my sister because she looked like her I guess? (i think it was the braids xD)

Instead of getting us the actual modern dolls that were meant to look like the child xD (probably would have been cheaper too.. but she makes some weird choices, oh well haha. THANKS for all the help! Its cool finding out all this info on her!

I remember shortly after I got her I would look through the catalogs that would come each month or so(so again were thinking late 90s/early 00s), and they came out with these little shadowbox/dollhouses? (they didnt actually have people) they just sold rooms and furniture that were meant to go in box style rooms, does anyone happen to know what i'm talking about and what those were called? xD I was SOOO into those but never got any (I didnt want to ask my parents for something like that lol)
Now that im old xD I thought it might be cool to try and track some of those things down, I dont think AG sells them anymore.

I was such a strang kid, I HATED barbies and dolls, but LOVED dollhouses lol

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 09:07:39 PM »
Thats good to know! My mom got me samantha because she looked like me, and got molly for my sister because she looked like her I guess? (i think it was the braids xD)

Instead of getting us the actual modern dolls that were meant to look like the child xD (probably would have been cheaper too.. but she makes some weird choices, oh well haha. THANKS for all the help! Its cool finding out all this info on her!

I remember shortly after I got her I would look through the catalogs that would come each month or so(so again were thinking late 90s/early 00s), and they came out with these little shadowbox/dollhouses? (they didnt actually have people) they just sold rooms and furniture that were meant to go in box style rooms, does anyone happen to know what i'm talking about and what those were called? xD I was SOOO into those but never got any (I didnt want to ask my parents for something like that lol)
Now that im old xD I thought it might be cool to try and track some of those things down, I dont think AG sells them anymore.

I was such a strang kid, I HATED barbies and dolls, but LOVED dollhouses lol

I know AG had the Illumarooms in 2000-ish, but that would be a little later than this period.  They were little shadowbox like rooms that lit up:

http://agplaythings.com/Minis/AGMinis.html

And, yes about $25-$30 for a nude Samantha sounds about right.

Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 09:41:51 PM »
scarletjul That is exactly what I was thinking of! Thank you!
I know we got the catalogs sent to us for many years after we got the dolls so i probably just assumed it was early on and forgot xD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal