collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fair Prep--accessory display preferences  (Read 854 times)

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
Fair Prep--accessory display preferences
« on: June 07, 2017, 12:30:16 AM »
Sooooooo. Dare we start a thread to get all excited about fair prep? I dare. :)

I think a better way to display accessories is by taping or tacking them to some kind of display board so they can be seen easily. I have noticed numerous people doing that lately, and after enjoying the ease with which I could pick out things from their displays, I decided to follow suit. But I can see me getting frustrated with tacks (not to mention dropping them and then impaling myself on them heh), and I thought on a plain foam board, tape would only be worth one stick--two tops--before messing up the board and making it look ratty and needing replacement. I considered a white board, but they're too heavy (not to mention expensive). So, today I put vinyl contact paper on the foam board, hoping that the accessory bag tape will stick multiple times, plus the vinyl shouldn't get ratty looking. It should, in theory, be easy to remove and re-stick the accessory bags as needed. Really pleased with the results (so far). Plus... Pretty paper.  :satisfied:

Who prefers the old fashioned way of digging through bins of accessories? There is a certain joy to that....

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
Re: Fair Prep--accessory display preferences
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 12:09:30 PM »
I enjoy the bin method, personally :D   But it is nice to be able to clearly and quickly spot something you need, so the display board is handy that way. As long as the bin stuff is clearly labeled and priced, I'll dig through it to my heart's content ^_^

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »
Hmmm... has anyone successfully done a binder? I would probably like that best b/c there is the thrill of hunting through the pages while being organized and easy to see. I would just worry about things getting crushed or damaged... maybe foam between?
~Foxtale~

Offline Ficklefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 02:40:32 PM »
I bet a binder would work great for pony wear. Maybe using photo pages?

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+352)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 06:11:58 PM »
I'm a big fan of the items tacked on a board. I've done bins & bowls to dig through and boards, and I had significantly higher sales with the board method. Digging through bins is definitely fun, but if it's crowded or if people are in a hurry I think the board display maximizes visibility making it easy to to spot those pieces you need.

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+70)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 11:24:53 AM »
I've been doing the bin method for years, but I feel like things sell better with the board method. It's easier to find what you're looking for.

Elf

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 08:34:24 PM »
I've been doing the bin method for years, but I feel like things sell better with the board method. It's easier to find what you're looking for.

Elf

I definitely become quickly overwhelmed digging through a bin (it is fun, though... ) and keeping "already seen" things off to one side, etc.

Boards though, logistically speaking, are kind of more difficult to accomodate. I mean, if they're on the floor, then they get knocked about too much. And it's harder to bend down to look at them esp. in close quarters. If on the table, they're probably going to be behind other things and blocked, and/or harder to get at...

Here's another question.  As a vendor, do you prefer to just mark a price and let the buyer be responsible for knowing their product, so to speak, or do you prefer to label things as specifically as you can?

Personally, I prefer things well-labeled, both as a buyer and as a vendor. :) As a vendor, it's for keeping track, but as a buyer, it's because I have more of a sense in my head that "i need the xyz for pony A (that might be similar in some way to the xyz for Pony B, which I don't need)" than looking at an item with only a price on it, and knowing which of the two or more similar things it is. Cue clumsy sifting through bag for more detailed list of needed items, color diffs etc, with people jostling around trying to get a look at stuff... Etc lol. Although that, too, can be part of the fun... (And tbh also happens even with detailed labeling heheh)

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+169)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 12:02:51 AM »
I have successfully done a binder! It's great for combs and flatter accessories but a no-go for brushes or thicker things. Each section is marked with a divider so people can flip straight to what they want.

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+143)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 01:18:20 AM »
I like the board method which I did last year....worked well...will probably have another board this year...I plan to vend....but totally not sure on the cost. .I hope it's affordable...I am not cleaning and organizing until I know...lol....and I usually decorate my booth ...but no idea what I can bring with this year as it is a very log haul.