collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Amazing Japanese Family Friend  (Read 464 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Amazing Japanese Family Friend
« on: June 06, 2017, 05:27:13 PM »
So my mother used to teach Japanese people English for a long time during my childhood.

During this time one person she taught was an MD at a local company, and she struck up a friendship with him over the years he was here.

A few years ago he came and he visited. I obviously study and speak Japanese now, and when we met, he said that, if I was ever in Japan, to let him know and he'd show me around.

So fast forward to the spring of this year, when I was indeed in Japan.

I made contact with him, really to pass on my mother's best wishes and not expecting him to go to excessive trouble for the sake of my fieldwork. I really didn't know him that well at that point.

The first thing was that he took me to a very important local site to Kyoto which is difficult to get to by public transport. I had asked him about getting there, but he said he would take me. He researched a whole bunch of other related sites useful to my research at the same time.

Then he printed out a whole lot of maps and guides for me to get to other locations because I can't navigate well. He gave me two books, one of which also listed useful sites for my research.

He took me into the mountains surrounding Kyoto to find one location as he thought it was dangerous to do alone (it was, we got lost, but it was a fun trip!) and then took me on a tour around Kyoto, his city, showing me a whole lot of sites and the best places to see cherry blossom when it bloomed.

Then to round it off, he took me all the way to Shikoku, a six hour round trip, to visit a special museum and a whole lot of sites that I thought were impossible for this trip.

This guy was absolutely amazing to me in Japan, and we are still in touch.

Today, I got an email from him. In the paper today in Japan there had been an article about the warrior which is one of the focal points of my study. He has not only told me about it, but scanned it and sent me a copy to help with my research.

He has also said to me that one location we didn't have a chance to visit, he intends on going back to at some point and will send me photos when he does.

I think so often we rant and rave about bad things and bad people and experiences, but I just wanted to share this because sometimes people are just absolutely awesome. And I just wanted other people to know how awesome.

He is absolutely going in my acknowledgements when I finally finish my thesis.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
Re: Amazing Japanese Family Friend
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 05:44:07 PM »
That is really sweet!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »
That's wonderful. :)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 03:18:32 AM »
How awesome indeed! What a special person. :) It's always encouraging to read lovely things like this.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal