collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dark Crystal PREQUEL  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Dark Crystal PREQUEL
« on: June 05, 2017, 10:04:56 AM »
So Netflix is going to host the Dark Crystal Prequel- as a series!
http://darkcrystal.com/

Netflix described the show In a press release, saying, "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance returns to the world of Thra with an all new adventure. When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis' power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world." For those who recall the original film, this statement actually gives us a few more hints about the plot. First, it tells us that we won't be seeing the events that led to the sundering of an ancient group of powerful creatures into the benevolent Mystics and evil Skeksis, since the Skeksis already exist. Second, the presence of a Gelfling team clarifies that The Resistance is set either before or during the Gelfling genocide. The series will probably shed light on why the Skeksis are so obsessed with "essence of Gelfling."

For years I've heard of another Dark Crystal movie in the works- but nothing ever came to fruition. But maybe now that Netflix is funding it will happen.

What makes me apprehensive of course :
* Jim Henson not involved (clarification- although Jim is gone of course- the creature shop IS involved, which is good)
* The original is SO ICONIC. It took 3 years to film.  How could they ever come close? Will it just be difficult to watch?
* the preview says that "the Jim Henson Company, with Louis’ vision, powerful storytelling and a mix of cutting-edge digital imagery and visual effects..."  Does this mean they are scaling back the puppetry?
*presenting it as a series worries me...

BUT What makes me hopeful:

* Brian and Toby Froud are involved (but didn't Wendy make the dolls?)
* The Henson creature shop is involved- so they are definitely going to use SOME puppets...
* Netflix DOES have some pretty great original shows... maybe they will throw down for this?

There is a "Trailer" - but it's more annoying than illuminating. It just shows some sparse clips of the making of the original film.  They should NOT be calling it a "trailer" in my opinion as there is NO information at all about the new show.  But I guess they don't have much to preview at this point because from what I've read, they haven't even started filming. So there is nothing yet to "trail".

Some more info:http://deadline.com/2017/05/the-dark-crystal-age-of-resistance-jim-hensons-prequel-series-netflix-1202097238/

I've also seen a LOT of Dark Crystal Merch lately based on the original film characters. (Like through Toywiz). The figures are pretty fun...  I guess they are trying to use the license more which is okay with me I guess.

It's just...please please please please please let the series not be stupid...

I guess I am more excited than anything else- I really hope they do a great job with this, but will watch it no matter what...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:22:51 AM by Galactica »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Crystal PREQUEL
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 10:06:19 AM »
If the Hensons aren't involved, it's not worth seeing.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 10:06:59 AM »

Did you read? Jim Henson is dead of course, but the Henson creature shop IS involved.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 10:35:28 AM »

Did you read? Jim Henson is dead of course, but the Henson creature shop IS involved.

I know that. I think one of his sons runs it atm. And I admit I didn't see that part till after.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:47:54 AM »

I know that. I think one of his sons runs it atm. And I admit I didn't see that part till after.

Understandable given the wall of words- I added a clarification :D

I will admit I have misgivings, but it is very promising that the Henson Creature shop and the Frouds are involved.  I think though we can count on it not being nearly the work of art as the original.  But I'll settle for it being watchable...

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 12:10:08 PM »
Funny - the Dark Crystal movie was on tv here in the UK a couple of days ago - so I relived a bit of my childhood + sat down to watch it...

I am both excited at the idea of a prequel but also worried about how good it will be - I am sure all those involved will want to do the best that they can to make it as memorable as the original - I guess we need to wait...  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 11:09:20 AM »
I am more worried than excited. The original is so beautiful and iconic and filled with nostalgia. I truly hope they do take time and effort to make puppets and use them rather than relay on CGI too much.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »
Wow, didn't see this coming! :blink: I'm definitely curious... I also hope that the puppets are the "main attraction", and not drowned in a cgi smorgasbord.

...And of course, I'm hoping for merch. XD
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 11:52:39 AM »
I must confess, the original scared the crap outta me when I was little.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »
Loved the original, was ambivalent about the manga, am hopeful for the prequel! 

As a note, the novelization of the movie was almost unreadable.  :( 

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 03:03:18 PM »

There was a novelization? X3

As a kid, I had this beautifully illustrated picture book of The Dark Crystal... I read it over and over, even though I'd never seen the movie (lol). I feel like digging it out of the mothballs, now.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 09:13:12 AM »
Yes, there was a novelization.  It's a slim little paperback.  If I'd had it as a kid I'd never have wanted to see the movie!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 04:04:51 PM »
I must confess, the original scared the crap outta me when I was little.

It scared me too! But I still loved it... especially Kira and the fact that she had wiiiings!

Post Merge: June 07, 2017, 04:06:27 PM

I didn't see the novel, but I did see the more recent graphic novels. They were... not that great.

I hope the Prequel is much better! 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:06:27 PM by Galactica »

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 10:22:15 AM »
'Podling' is one of my favourite words. Ever.
Saw the original for my friend's 6th birthday party, one of our friends cried, but the rest of us thought it was great! Although I'm still slightly scared of whiny voiced creatures with large beaks that peer at me in slow motion.
Will have to see trailers before I worry about another version, the whole charm of the film was that it wasn't CGI. And without certain muppeteers to do the voices, might feel cheated!

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 10:53:22 AM »
Dark Crystal original movie is one of my all time faves. I hope the prequel is equally as great!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal