collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Retro bright?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Cobblestone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Retro bright?
« on: May 31, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
Hey everyone,

Long time no see. I thought I'd pop back in and I brought a question with me. I've been watching some restorations of computers (of all things) and I got curious when I saw retro bright. I know how we used to do things when we needed to fade ponies or wanted to brighten up our whites, but has anyone tried using retro bright? I'm curious if the results are good. :what:

Sorry if this has been addressed in the past. It's literally been years since I've been on.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
On a quest for breyer dapples

Offline starrwolff

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Retro bright?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:29:28 AM »
Hmmmm, that's a thought. I've actually been using RetroBrite recently to restore my original NES controllers (and they look like they just came off the factory line at Nintendo!!!! So happy!!!)
 I also made it into a gel form and had limited success with restoring the MLP Pretty Parlor... But I've never thought of using it on a pony. I mix Peroxide and Oxy Clean... So I don't think they'd be corrosive to the softer plastic of a pony. I don't have any spare G1 to test on though... And all of my girls from the 80's were well preserved in boxed till I busted them our a few years ago.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:31:17 AM by starrwolff »

Offline Cobblestone

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 10:20:34 AM »
Thanks starrwolff.

I'm considering trying it but I think I need to find a good bait pony first. Most of my white ponies are also not quite bad enough to risk. Plus I was thinking it could be hard to keep the finer details from fading. BUT, given what it can do for computers I'm super curious about white ponies. Maybe even helping to fade ponies who are too dark?

I know sun fading is the normal method but if a light coat of retro bright for a short time could do the job that might be useful, or at least speed up the process. Hmmm

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 08:45:44 PM »
When I first saw mention of this and what it could do to restore computers I immediately thought about whether My Pretty Ponies were made from the same plastic. I managed to lighten a yellowed pink My Pretty Pony using my own mix, but she started yellowing again in a few months and it's quite the task to do it all again. My treatment didn't have any Oxy in it so maybe that would achieve better results?

In any case, you got me thinking whether it would work on regular G1 My Little Ponies. I did a little digging on Google and found someone who collects shoes and uses Retr0brite to lighten yellowed soles. I don't know for sure but I think ponies and sneakers are both made from polyurethane? (or possibly PVC?) In any case their results were promising so I definitely think using a coating of Retr0brite could cut down on the time required to sunfade and possibly improve results. I'll be interested to see your results if you do experiment with some baits.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 07:47:30 PM »
I have a few extra bait ponies, if someone would like me to send them some to experiment on.

Offline starrwolff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 04:52:08 AM »
Sure. I have some paste left over from restoring my Nintendo controllers and the Pretty Parlor and enough of each ingredient to make the liquid form too. What color(s) where they?

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 07:27:23 AM »
Quick question, I found a 'guide' on instructables for this stuff and the person used a UV light. Is UV light needed or can the sun be used?
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline starrwolff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 10:34:24 AM »
I've been putting out soak trays on my balcony sill for 8 hours.. sun is a little less controlled if you're using the gel method.. you need to wrap the item in saran wrap, and if there's a breeze, or if it's not pulled super tight, you can be left with lines.. I killed one Pretty Parlor experimenting like that. But for soaking small things, it's great. The pretty Parlor white door... Looks amazing... As do the gray controllers I took apart and soaked.

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 08:08:38 PM »
Oh very interesting. I have a very yellowed Baby Quackers that I'm going to try this on.

Offline starrwolff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 07:50:17 AM »
I don't know how the solution will work on painted decals... If you do the pure liquid version, rather than adding xanthum gum to make it a paste and painting it on the pony it might dissolve the decals.

Offline Cobblestone

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 07:07:21 PM »
Now I'm super excited to see how this goes. My ponies are still packed up from moving (quite a while ago, cough cough) so I haven't been able to tinker with the baits I stored away.

Thinking about hitting up an antique store next time I have a free minute to see if they have anything. I've seen a few people using some salon products as their retrobrite o.o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal