collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Removing tails?  (Read 835 times)

Offline TugaLis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Removing tails?
« on: May 25, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »
Hello pony friends  :satisfied:

In order to remove the metal washer and the piece of metal that holds the tail togheter, which witchcraft should I use? Just pliers and hope for the best??

Any tips?  :blush:

I'll be keeping the tails, and replace with plastic zipties like I do on my customs  :)
Smile :hamster: there is beauty in simplicity

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
Re: Removing tails?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 02:44:28 PM »
ive always warmed the pony up with boiling water to soften the plastic and then removed the washer with needlenose pliers. ive never had any trouble before, it usually just pops right off.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

wishlist

Offline TugaLis

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 03:14:17 PM »
No no, i mean to take the metal thingy from the actual tail, like wraped around the hairs

I have done that already  :biggrin:

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 03:25:39 PM »
oh haha!  :shakefist:

maybe pliers, i have no idea though. they always look like theyre permanently attached to me :' (

wishlist

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 03:36:02 PM »
Needle noses are the bomb! I use them to re-thread the tails too :)

The washer should come out with the tail.
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »
Needle nose pliers are your best best to getting that off.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 04:15:47 PM »
Two sets of pliers, if you can get them, will do the job.  The metal bit that clamps the tail in the middle is scroll shaped, with one side flat and one side having two cylinders, the cylinder side is the one you want to try and uncurl.  Work the ends of the needlenose pliers into the two cylinders and twist them open, away from each other.  Be careful!  The metal that the clamps are made out of is pretty tough.  Wear proper eye protection and be mindful of your fingers. 

Secure both sides of the tail very firmly with ties/wraps/elastics so the hair doesn't go everywhere once you get it apart.

Generally don't recommend trying to get a tail clamp open unless the metal is rusting.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 07:03:51 PM »
I normally remove the tail with needle nose pliers too. I just use twist ties or cable ties. I know some rather keep the clamp on but I usually like to remove the tail clamp to prevent further rust of any pony. Lately I been just trying to find ponies that are rusty in general before I try to fix them. I been rather lazy.

lostpony

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 10:36:17 PM »
Not all tail crimps are ferrous.  Test them with a magnet: if the magnet doesn't stick, they can't rust so you can keep them.

One way to open such a crimp is to push a tapered scribe into the opening to make it start spreading, then pry it and use a non-sharp blade like a butterknife from there.  You will damage some of the hair, less if you are more careful.  Of course heed the warning above about eye protection and careful of your fingers

(says the person who put his eye out with a vaccuum cleaner cord and has had to sew fingers back together numerous times).  Be smarter than me.

Offline TugaLis

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 10:43:17 AM »
Not all tail crimps are ferrous.  Test them with a magnet: if the magnet doesn't stick, they can't rust so you can keep them.
  :ack: ty!! I will do that!! I had no idea!!
One way to open such a crimp is to push a tapered scribe into the opening to make it start spreading, then pry it and use a non-sharp blade like a butterknife from there.  You will damage some of the hair, less if you are more careful.  Of course heed the warning above about eye protection and careful of your fingers

(says the person who put his eye out with a vaccuum cleaner cord and has had to sew fingers back together numerous times).  Be smarter than me.
I normally remove the tail with needle nose pliers too. I just use twist ties or cable ties. I know some rather keep the clamp on but I usually like to remove the tail clamp to prevent further rust of any pony. Lately I been just trying to find ponies that are rusty in general before I try to fix them. I been rather lazy.
Two sets of pliers, if you can get them, will do the job.  The metal bit that clamps the tail in the middle is scroll shaped, with one side flat and one side having two cylinders, the cylinder side is the one you want to try and uncurl.  Work the ends of the needlenose pliers into the two cylinders and twist them open, away from each other.  Be careful!  The metal that the clamps are made out of is pretty tough.  Wear proper eye protection and be mindful of your fingers. 

Secure both sides of the tail very firmly with ties/wraps/elastics so the hair doesn't go everywhere once you get it apart.

Generally don't recommend trying to get a tail clamp open unless the metal is rusting.

Will follow your instructions as soon as I get the time to finally do the job!!!  :lol: :lol:

Thank you guys!!!  :hearts: :grouphug:

Post Merge: June 04, 2017, 10:44:48 AM

Thanks everyone!!  ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:44:48 AM by TugaLis »

lostpony

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 11:07:35 AM »
(Just please don't try to remove my tail; I'm attached to it!)

Offline TugaLis

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 03:16:28 PM »
(Just please don't try to remove my tail; I'm attached to it!)
ofc not!!! :tackleglomp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal