collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fakies: True knock offs or there own thing?  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Fakies: True knock offs or there own thing?
« on: May 23, 2017, 09:33:41 PM »
If a toyline enjoys moderate success, has a recognizable brand and manufacturer, shouldn't it be considered its own thing instead of just relegated to generic its a fakie? Or is everything due to be a knock off because one product, before or after it became insanely popular? Remco, Lanard, Boley, Cabbage Patch, Totsy, Kid Connection and Merry Hooves are good examples.

What do you guys think? :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:05:40 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Fakies: True knock offs or there own thing?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 10:01:36 PM »
I love my Remco ponies--they always seemed like their own thing to me due to the contrast in sculpts. To me (as in, just my personal feelings; I don't think there's an official definition of "fakies") a true "fakie" is something that mirrors another product to the point of borderline copyright infringement. Near-identical mold, paint apps, or even names and packaging. Others are just... capitalizing on a trend. X3
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 10:03:08 PM »
i think it depends on whether the product was made in response to a popular-release toy, or just released in general. for example, remcos were made in response to mlps being made, yes? so remco was trying to bank on hasbros success with tiny rainbow horses and make their own. if the intent is to try to emulate what hasbro was/is doing, then that makes it a fakie. if its just a horse toy, then i dont consider it a knock off. "my pretty pony" vs "breyer".
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

wishlist

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 01:20:41 AM »
By that standard the popularity of similar ponies in all toylines are then fakies...maybe.

Right now there are MLP-like ponies in Disney, Barbie, and just about every toyline out there; they either sometimes have ponies with them or have main characters who are colorful ponies.

Unless of course it has always been that way and it's not Hasbro's market.  I'm really not sure, I didn't notice them before getting hooked on MLP.

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 01:42:51 AM »
I'm guilty of using fakie when referring to any colorful horse that isn't MLP... but really I think a lot of them are their own thing... even if MLP came before others it doesn't mean another type of colorful horse toy can't have it's own identity. Otherwise shouldn't every doll in the world that isn't the first ever created be a fakie or knock off? XD I honestly have no idea if any of the other brands were around before my little pony though... and many are most definitely direct copies... then there are the fakies of 'fakies', like fake Remcos.

Either way, I love them all and I usually have the most fun collecting unique 'fakies'  :P I hope I've made sense.

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 03:33:01 AM »
i think it depends on whether the product was made in response to a popular-release toy, or just released in general. for example, remcos were made in response to mlps being made, yes? so remco was trying to bank on hasbros success with tiny rainbow horses and make their own. if the intent is to try to emulate what hasbro was/is doing, then that makes it a fakie. if its just a horse toy, then i dont consider it a knock off. "my pretty pony" vs "breyer".

Yeah, this is a good way of putting it. That's pretty much my opinion on it too.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 03:38:50 AM »
for example, remcos were made in response to mlps being made, yes? so remco was trying to bank on hasbros success with tiny rainbow horses and make their own. if the intent is to try to emulate what hasbro was/is doing, then that makes it a fakie.

Some Remco ponies have 1981 and 1982 under their hooves. So they might have been there before/the same time as MLP. Ill go and see if one of mine carries it, will bring a pic if possible!

edit : yes, I have one :) Here is my MOC Remco boy Clyde Horse, he has 1982 under his left hind hoof.

http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de/zeigen/remco2.jpg
http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de/zeigen/remco.jpg

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:08:03 AM by Einhornbaby »

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 05:38:21 AM »
I still have the Remcos I won from a lot long time back and Some Crumpet pose fakies. I still enjoy them even if they are knock offs. I just make sure I dont have too many fakies.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 08:00:14 AM »
for example, remcos were made in response to mlps being made, yes? so remco was trying to bank on hasbros success with tiny rainbow horses and make their own. if the intent is to try to emulate what hasbro was/is doing, then that makes it a fakie.

Some Remco ponies have 1981 and 1982 under their hooves. So they might have been there before/the same time as MLP. Ill go and see if one of mine carries it, will bring a pic if possible!

edit : yes, I have one :) Here is my MOC Remco boy Clyde Horse, he has 1982 under his left hind hoof.

http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de/zeigen/remco2.jpg
http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de/zeigen/remco.jpg

Oh he's so cute! And Remco has a very district and recognizable style. Wish I still had my Remco.

Post Merge: May 24, 2017, 08:01:23 AM

I'm guilty of using fakie when referring to any colorful horse that isn't MLP... but really I think a lot of them are their own thing... even if MLP came before others it doesn't mean another type of colorful horse toy can't have it's own identity. Otherwise shouldn't every doll in the world that isn't the first ever created be a fakie or knock off? XD I honestly have no idea if any of the other brands were around before my little pony though... and many are most definitely direct copies... then there are the fakies of 'fakies', like fake Remcos.

Either way, I love them all and I usually have the most fun collecting unique 'fakies'  :P I hope I've made sense.

It still cracks me up that there are fakies of fakies.  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:26:00 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 08:02:53 AM »
If they resemble mlp, like if they are pudgy and of similar plastic consistency or have some sort of symbol, I'd likely consider it a knockoff unless they were produced before mlp came out.

If they are just colorful horses I wouldn't say that automatically makes them a knockoff (though they could still be riding on mlp popularity), especially if they have their own recognized line and features.

Quality is also something I look for, as most fakies are below-par in either hair or paint details, even plastic.

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 08:08:26 AM »
I use the term "fakie" to imply a MLP that isn't a MLP.
I don't call breyers "fakies" because they are model horses.
Colourful plastic with brush able hair=a fake to me.

Hasbrouck certainly wasn't being a knock off of their own brand when they made the Cabbage Patch Ponies, but there still in that umbrella term for me.

That being said, I LOVE fakies! Sometimes more than real MLP :)
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 08:12:02 AM »
If they resemble mlp, like if they are pudgy and of similar plastic consistency or have some sort of symbol, I'd likely consider it a knockoff unless they were produced before mlp came out.

If they are just colorful horses I wouldn't say that automatically makes them a knockoff (though they could still be riding on mlp popularity), especially if they have their own recognized line and features.

Quality is also something I look for, as most fakies are below-par in either hair or paint details, even plastic.

I believe distinct styles count them out as generic knock offs.

I have two Merry Hooves, they're smaller, hard plastic with umm....interesting eyes, flocking, moulded hair, they have a decent weight and are distinctly horse like in their proportions, as opposed to the pudgier pony like style of earlier gens, or bobble headed style of the current one.

I also have a Boley Fantasy Pony who has a slender, G3 style body with G3 wings and a wide horselike head and no nostrils for some reason.

Remcos remind me of Precious Moments pictures, very rounded and soft.

And Totsys have those eyes that just scream  I solemnly swear I am up to no good.  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:14:22 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 08:24:13 AM »

And Totsys have those eyes that just scream  I solemnly swear I am up to no good.  :lol:

These are the two best descriptions for ponies I've ever read.  :P

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 08:31:23 AM »

I have two Merry Hooves, they're smaller, hard plastic with umm....interesting eyes, flocking, moulded hair, they have a decent weight and are distinctly horse like in their proportions, as opposed to the pudgier pony like style of earlier gens, or bobble headed style of the current one.

I also have a Boley Fantasy Pony who has a slender, G3 style body with G3 wings and a wide horselike head and no nostrils for some reason.

Remcos I'd consider fakies, I'm not familiar with Merry Hooves though. I looked it up and it does seem like they do have symbols, which I would consider something mlp started so I'd say fakie. I'm looking at a pink one with purple hair and a tiara, it's actually pretty cute!

Haha, no nostrils is weird! Even a little indent would make me feel better. Well, unless it's really stylized, like Takara. Now I'm wondering what they'd look like with some little dots on the nose.

I love fakies, but what I love the most about them isn't how close they can get to looking like the real deal, it's how creative they can get, doing things the original line might never see.

My favorites are Lucky Ponies, with their weird eyes and fun poses. Their presence of symbols along with being colorful is like a neon sign saying "I'm totally based off of mlp!".

Totsys would be a great example of looking like mlp while still doing something different. That face is great, but not something you'd see on a real mlp. The only issue I have is with their horn, I feel like it contrasts their colorful bodies too much. Guess that's why I like their "big brothers" better.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:36:53 AM by Limone Mellow »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »

Remcos I'd consider fakies, I'm not familiar with Merry Hooves though. I looked it up and it does seem like they do have symbols, which I would consider something mlp started so I'd say fakie. I'm looking at a pink one with purple hair and a tiara, it's actually pretty cute!

Haha, no nostrils is weird! Even a little indent would make me feel better. Well, unless it's really stylized, like Takara. Now I'm wondering what they'd look like with some little dots on the nose.

I love fakies, but what I love the most about them isn't how close they can get to looking like the real deal, it's how creative they can get, doing things the original line might never see.

My favorites are Lucky Ponies, with their weird eyes and fun poses. Their presence of symbols along with being colorful is like a neon sign saying "I'm totally based off of mlp!".

I've never heard of Lucky Ponies. Might you have pictures please? :)

Huh. I didn't know Totsy had Big Brothers?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:38:28 AM by Leave a Whisper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal