collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: NSS Truly - Real or Not?  (Read 3408 times)

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
NSS Truly - Real or Not?
« on: May 23, 2017, 02:16:04 AM »
This is one of the reasons I joined The Arena: so that I would be able to ask all you more experienced Pony People questions like this one:

How can you tell if NSS Truly is actually NSS Truly and not a deflocked version? I have two you see, both offered as genuine, however they are different from each other. The one lady has cutie marks with pink hearts on both sides, while the other has pink hearts on one side and a more purple colour on the other. I will try to upload photo's: is there a way other than using photo bucket?

Please help me... I have done my best to research on the web but with no luck so far. Even the photo on the Nirvana gallery here shows only one side of Truly.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: NSS Truly - Real or Not?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 07:36:18 AM »
All G1 ponies have the same symbol color on both symbols.  So the purple heart could be the result of the paint pigment fading;  I know some ponies have pink symbols that fade to a blueish purplish, like Peachy, Scoops, and Baby Crumpet. Possibly Truly is in the same boat?  As far as I know, both NSS and SS Truly have the same heart color originally.

I believe there is some difference in the color of the outline of the pony's eye that is different between SS Truly and NSS Truly.  IIRC NSS Truly has brown-ish eyeliner, while SS has black eyeliner?

Also, it is just really really REALLY hard to deflock a SS to the point where there isn't one bit of flocking left.  Look for bits of flocking left in the mane, between the hairplugs.  That's the hardest place to get flocking out of.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 10:07:38 AM »
The eye liner and symbols are slightly differ colour. The So Soft ponies have black eyeliner where as the pony friends set have very dark gray brown eyeliner.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »
Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it!

I have had a really good look at my girls: cannot see any flocking anywhere and their eyes look a dark greyish brown to me - eyeliner and pupils seem to be the same colour. However I will look again in daylight to be sure as artificial light can do some strange things. Would be so awesome if they are genuine.

Here are the images of Truly with differently coloured symbols. I took them at night, so they haven't come out too well. The hearts on her right side are a lilac purple colour. Would the bird (dove?) also be faded if the hearts were?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Right Side

Left Side

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:57:27 AM by NightGliderSA »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »
I'm not sure why the symbols are different on each side? They don't look painted or touched up, from the pictures the symbols look original :)

I found these threads for you describing the difference that can be seen between a defrocked so soft and a genuine pony friends set pony ^.^

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,349724.0.html

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360922.0.html

Love pkw xxx

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 11:43:09 AM »
I'm not sure why the symbols are different on each side? They don't look painted or touched up, from the pictures the symbols look original :)

I found these threads for you describing the difference that can be seen between a defrocked so soft and a genuine pony friends set pony ^.^

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,349724.0.html

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360922.0.html

Love pkw xxx

Thanks so much Pinkkittywinks! Those links were really helpful: I hadn't even considered comparing them to SS Truly  :blush: There is a definite difference in eye colour - hooray! I did take a photo, however Photobucket does not seem to want to cooperate tonight and is still busy 'uploading' it half an hour after I first started. Will send it on later if I can.

I can also say that it is probably safe to assume that NSS Truly must have been released in South Africa - both my girls were bought locally.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »
Truly and Cupcake where indeed sold in South Africa:)

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/truly.htm

They were also sold is Australia too :)

Love pkw xxx

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 03:44:05 PM »
I am not sure I could tell with a pony that close... Dang!
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 03:43:21 AM »
I am not sure I could tell with a pony that close... Dang!

Hi Jinxxy,

I think if you have the ponies side by side it is ok: I could see the difference immediately once I knew what to look for (thank you pinkkittywinks and LadyMoondancer!). But I am not sure if I would be able to tell from a website photo. Here is a photo that shows their eyes, but it doesn't come out as clearly as I would like.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:58:53 AM by NightGliderSA »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 09:52:07 AM »

Love pkw xxx

Yep, they were. Although they're generally associated with Scandinavia these days, the first information and proof about them came from a lady called Joss who lived in South Africa. As far as I remember from her information, the card was the same as the one that's featured on my page, although that was donated by kind people in Europe. They're UK style cards but we never had the ponies, so the thought is they got exported instead - to Scandinavia and South Africa etc.

Congrats on your ponies ;D The one in the photo looks really pretty and like genuine "Pony Friend" Truly to me.

I also have a Truly that is not furry but has dark eyeliner. She shows no sign of having been deflocked, but I have kept her and not tried to sell her on because I can't guarantee whether she is or isn't genuine. I have compared her to my authenticated one and there are differences, but she also came from Europe, a place where SS ponies were not sold :/

It's a problem, even when we have the finite details to be able to tell these things - as the field of evidence is really so small (in terms of existing MIP items and so on).  It is possible some black eyeliner ones snuck through, as most of the equivalent ponies here with no flocking have black eyeliner whereas some on the continent have brown (Shady and company)...but because I can't prove her origin either way, she stays here with me :/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:54:06 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 12:57:30 AM »

Love pkw xxx

Yep, they were. Although they're generally associated with Scandinavia these days, the first information and proof about them came from a lady called Joss who lived in South Africa. As far as I remember from her information, the card was the same as the one that's featured on my page, although that was donated by kind people in Europe. They're UK style cards but we never had the ponies, so the thought is they got exported instead - to Scandinavia and South Africa etc.

Congrats on your ponies ;D The one in the photo looks really pretty and like genuine "Pony Friend" Truly to me.

I also have a Truly that is not furry but has dark eyeliner. She shows no sign of having been deflocked, but I have kept her and not tried to sell her on because I can't guarantee whether she is or isn't genuine. I have compared her to my authenticated one and there are differences, but she also came from Europe, a place where SS ponies were not sold :/

It's a problem, even when we have the finite details to be able to tell these things - as the field of evidence is really so small (in terms of existing MIP items and so on).  It is possible some black eyeliner ones snuck through, as most of the equivalent ponies here with no flocking have black eyeliner whereas some on the continent have brown (Shady and company)...but because I can't prove her origin either way, she stays here with me :/

Hi Taffeta,

Thank you, I really appreciate the information! Learning about the different ponies is fascinating. :)  What is your website?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 02:32:59 AM »

Hi Taffeta,

Thank you, I really appreciate the information! Learning about the different ponies is fascinating. :)  What is your website?

The website Pinkittywinks linked above is the Truly page from my website; the Scrapbook :). It's also linked in my sig, though.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 01:32:40 PM »
Thank you for posting Taffeta, I do now recall your Truly being discussed before :)

It wouldn't surprise me if some black eyeliner ponies snuck through :P

I do recall eyeliner colour of other ponies, such as Shady, being discussed to see if there was some sort of link.

Interestingly enough, a Shady I was photographing for my Sales today has obviously brown eyeliner, where as my childhood Movie Star Shady has black eyeliner..........

Love pkw xxx

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 03:06:10 AM »
Back in 2007 at a pony meet in Sweden we asked for everybody that had a NSS Truly (and Cupcake) to bring them so we could compare any differences from the SS. Basically the only thing we found was that NSS Trulys eyeliner was a bit more brownish.
Not solid proof that every Truly has brown eyeliner but to deflock a pony perfectly without loosing details like eyelashes and symbols and removing all the fur is very hard and almost impossible.

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 02:25:52 AM »
I wish I could I been there, it must have been amazing! Thank you Annie  :)  How many NSS Trulys and Cupcakes did you manage to gather together?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal